Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275113 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, Hybrid K03 plans under way
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2015, 10:27:19 pm »
@AJP  no worries mate, I'm not too sure on cost ATM as I'm waiting for a reply, on the website (beach buggy turbos) there's a £775 and a £890 option, I think one has a different outlet or something but I'm not sure what the difference is. I believe you just buy the unit and keep yours. Vince and Jon at Stealth Racing in Southam (just south of Coventry) are doing all the work for me as they've done loads of work and some big projects for us.

I will hopefully have a good bit more info next week, yes like you say it just fills that gap between wanting more than a K03 but not wanting to risk a K04. I will update this regularly as I know more.

Where about are you from?
It'll be reassuring for you having a new beefed-up turbo aside from the performance increase - there's always that fear in the back of your mind that it might go pop, but this should set you up for a good few reliable years.

Heard good things about Stealth, Vince is one of the big names in mk2/rado 16v tuning, and vr6 turbos I think? Loads of experience from what I've gathered.

I'm in Worksop mate, about 15 miles from Sheff.

I'll be watching your build religiously, so keep the updates coming!

dansmith180

« Reply #286 on: October 12, 2015, 07:55:57 am »
@AJP yeah Stealth do lots of engine and turbo conversions generally on the older stuff, I will keep this updated  :happy2:

@th3_f15t fair enough, so did you just sell the R32 on or keep it for a bit  :evilgrin:? Yeah the 4WD is nice when you just want to get the power down but the FWD always puts a smile on my face, even if it is slower or I end up in a tree one day  :laugh:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #287 on: October 12, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »
I have the R32 up for sale as I'd rather focus on my Golf R and V5 but worst case I'll finish up on the V5 and move it along then put the R32 into the workshop.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #288 on: October 12, 2015, 01:52:57 pm »
I have the R32 up for sale as I'd rather focus on my Golf R and V5 but worst case I'll finish up on the V5 and move it along then put the R32 into the workshop.

Fair enough, just had a look at it in the for sale section, looks like a tidy example shame its not a blue one though.

dansmith180

« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2015, 09:31:37 pm »
So I've spent the last few days researching/ ordering parts and everything I 'need' is now ordered however I'm very tempted to get a few more bits  :evilgrin:

Turbo wise I spoke to Dan at beach buggy turbos who is very helpful (although a tad slow to respond), and a hybrid K03 from him is £1000 and supposedly is capable of 350bhp with the right hardware. It has a K04 turbine, upgraded actuator and bearings and other complex things I don't understand but apparently its good.

However I ordered my LOBA pump directly from LOBA and it turns out they make a hybrid K03 turbo as well, same thing basically as the Beach Buggy unit and they said it can run 320-330bhp without a problem and is capable of more but that's their recommended operating window. Their unit is normally around the £1200 mark but since I ordered the pump as well we struck a deal and they're making my turbo as we speak  :jumpmove:

The main reason for choosing the LOBA unit is because Dan at Beach Buggy said he's waiting on parts and gave the impression it would be quite a while before he could sort me one out. LOBA however can have it done in 7 days so within 2 weeks or so my pump and turbo will arrive from Germany.

Both items are sold as a whole unit so NOT on an exchange basis and they do not take and rebuild yours you get a whole other unit.

Intercooler and boost gauge have arrived so there's a few bits to do while they wait. Downpipe is also on the way.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #290 on: October 14, 2015, 09:47:46 pm »
Who will you go in terms of ECU mapping to get the most out of your new hardware?

dansmith180

« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2015, 09:50:53 pm »
Who will you go in terms of ECU mapping to get the most out of your new hardware?

Stealth Racing who are doing all the work have a rolling road and do all the mapping in house, they always map the conversions and turbo kits they fit. They did my stage 1 map a few months after I got the car and it was spot on.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:07 am »
So I've spent the last few days researching/ ordering parts and everything I 'need' is now ordered however I'm very tempted to get a few more bits  :evilgrin:

Turbo wise I spoke to Dan at beach buggy turbos who is very helpful (although a tad slow to respond), and a hybrid K03 from him is £1000 and supposedly is capable of 350bhp with the right hardware. It has a K04 turbine, upgraded actuator and bearings and other complex things I don't understand but apparently its good.

However I ordered my LOBA pump directly from LOBA and it turns out they make a hybrid K03 turbo as well, same thing basically as the Beach Buggy unit and they said it can run 320-330bhp without a problem and is capable of more but that's their recommended operating window. Their unit is normally around the £1200 mark but since I ordered the pump as well we struck a deal and they're making my turbo as we speak  :jumpmove:

The main reason for choosing the LOBA unit is because Dan at Beach Buggy said he's waiting on parts and gave the impression it would be quite a while before he could sort me one out. LOBA however can have it done in 7 days so within 2 weeks or so my pump and turbo will arrive from Germany.

Both items are sold as a whole unit so NOT on an exchange basis and they do not take and rebuild yours you get a whole other unit.

Intercooler and boost gauge have arrived so there's a few bits to do while they wait. Downpipe is also on the way.

Well Done mate.

I think a hard part of all this is actually making the decision you want to go with the tuning. Most people seem to follow the same path as others and take the safe route. respect to you for branching out.

What intercooler did you order in the end?

dansmith180

« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »
@Paradox1 thanks a lot mate, yeah I like to do things my own way and try different things for myself. Obviously I respect peoples opinions but at the end of the day it my choice.

I went for the Forge Twintercooler  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »
Good progress Dan, and very handy that Loba do hybrids too!

Bet you can't wait to get it all fitted and mapped. I'm really keen to see a dyno graph if you'll be getting one at Stealth?

dansmith180

« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2015, 06:33:35 pm »
Good progress Dan, and very handy that Loba do hybrids too!

Bet you can't wait to get it all fitted and mapped. I'm really keen to see a dyno graph if you'll be getting one at Stealth?

That's an understatement  :laugh:, desperate to get my hands on it. Although we just added a supercharged B7 RS4 to the house fleet so hopefully a couple of go's in that will ease the pain  :driver:

Yeah they'll give me a few so I'll post them up  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2015, 06:34:31 pm »
Excellent, I'll look forward to it!

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2015, 03:28:55 pm »
Looking forward to see how you get on with Stealth as I'm only down the road from them.  Hope it all goes well mate  :drinking:

dansmith180

« Reply #298 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:23 pm »
Thanks lads  :happy2:

Bought some injectors of Gaj last week so if I want I can run the turbo to its full potential  :evilgrin:, however I'm probably going to go fro about 300bhp and 300lb/f for now as I can't afford to break anything else for at least a few months

Turbo should be finished next week and be with the car within 2 weeks.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #299 on: October 19, 2015, 05:00:25 pm »
I would imagine that compression ratio of the K03 engine will be fairly high so running bigger boost will be an issue. On a hybrid K03 you should still be able to get near it's top potential but without a rebuild, there's not a lot you can do to lower the compression ratio. Still, will be interesting to see how easy it is to hit 300bhp...