Make a donation

Author Topic: Dans grey MK5 GTI. Prepping for VagTuner  (Read 275100 times)

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, Hybrid K03 plans under way
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2015, 05:01:50 pm »
Thanks lads  :happy2:

Bought some injectors of Gaj last week so if I want I can run the turbo to its full potential  :evilgrin:, however I'm probably going to go fro about 300bhp and 300lb/f for now as I can't afford to break anything else for at least a few months

Turbo should be finished next week and be with the car within 2 weeks.

Someone is getting excited.... and so you should be.

So the turbo is Apparently limited to 330-340, will you be running meth?

Would you consider asking your tuner to see he can achieve on the turbo for research purposes.... then pull it back to your desired goal?

dansmith180

« Reply #301 on: October 19, 2015, 05:41:04 pm »
I would imagine that compression ratio of the K03 engine will be fairly high so running bigger boost will be an issue. On a hybrid K03 you should still be able to get near it's top potential but without a rebuild, there's not a lot you can do to lower the compression ratio. Still, will be interesting to see how easy it is to hit 300bhp...

Yeah I've seen 350 pushed on an AXX with the K04 setup but like you say without changing the ratio you can't really get much more but to push more it would probably need a rebuild anyways, I'll save that for a couple of years time though :party:

Bought some injectors of Gaj last week so if I want I can run the turbo to its full potential  :evilgrin:, however I'm probably going to go fro about 300bhp and 300lb/f for now as I can't afford to break anything else for at least a few months

Would you consider asking your tuner to see he can achieve on the turbo for research purposes.... then pull it back to your desired goal?

I am very exited indeed, fed up of driving a 20 year old mx5 and a van around which combined have less power than mine will.

I won't be running meth but yes I am thinking about letting him do a run at maximum (or near enough) and then turn it down to whatever I end up running so I can see what it's capable of. Problem is I might not want him to turn it down afterwards  :laugh:

Offline MK1Campaign

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:39 pm »
Vince is the man when it comes to mapping. I've had four done by him.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: October 22, 2015, 11:34:05 am »
I would imagine that compression ratio of the K03 engine will be fairly high so running bigger boost will be an issue. On a hybrid K03 you should still be able to get near it's top potential but without a rebuild, there's not a lot you can do to lower the compression ratio. Still, will be interesting to see how easy it is to hit 300bhp...

Yeah I've seen 350 pushed on an AXX with the K04 setup but like you say without changing the ratio you can't really get much more but to push more it would probably need a rebuild anyways, I'll save that for a couple of years time though :party:

I am very exited indeed, fed up of driving a 20 year old mx5 and a van around which combined have less power than mine will.

I won't be running meth but yes I am thinking about letting him do a run at maximum (or near enough) and then turn it down to whatever I end up running so I can see what it's capable of. Problem is I might not want him to turn it down afterwards  :laugh:

Or, you might end up rebuilding the block sooner that you thought lol

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: October 22, 2015, 09:24:36 pm »
very interested in all of this. Im in a similar situation, want to turn my car into racecar, but I've been waying up on getting a k04 lump the putting the tt420 or building my engine up. this ko3 hybrid sounds very appealing though, i know that its not all about figures and with how i want to use the car big power is not really what i need. (but would be nice) Oh the decisions  :popcornsoda:

dansmith180

« Reply #305 on: October 22, 2015, 09:55:29 pm »
@MK1Campaign yeah he built my stepdads BAM powered MK2 Golf and I've been in a few of his and Jon's other creatations. Always a great job.

@Paradox1  :laugh:  :laugh: yes that is something I'm going to try and avoid. I think 300/300 is safe an sensible considering j drive it hard all the time and want a reliable Track car.

@M9xxr Haha yeah there's so many different options and possibilitys. I'm also very tempted to just strip mine out inside and turn it into a 'racecar' however its my only vehicle so isn't always going to be practicle but saying that I'm 21 single with no responsibilities so if I can't be an idiot now then when can I, but also I like how much of a great all rounder the car is. I just go in circles and get confused.  :rolleye:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #306 on: October 24, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »
Have a look at these mate: http://www.wiechers-sport.de/

I'm looking at one of their cages for the Golf R, one that can be partially removed for normal road use then seats out and cage in for show/track use. Best of both worlds and good price considering the options.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #307 on: October 24, 2015, 10:09:40 pm »
Have a look at these mate: http://www.wiechers-sport.de/

I'm looking at one of their cages for the Golf R, one that can be partially removed for normal road use then seats out and cage in for show/track use. Best of both worlds and good price considering the options.

I was trying to work it out but my German is pretty poor  :laugh:

So for just a rear cage in mine what am I looking at? I've seen 1 or 2 second hand ones go for around £500 but no idea what they cost to get made up. I would just want a fairly basic rear one in red, otherwise I might get a Unibrace XB powder coated red and slap a 4point harness on that.

Its all just another expense though isn't it. I need to win a scratch card/ lottery for a decent amount  :laugh:

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2015, 08:53:13 pm »
My mates just had a full weld in one in his skoda for 1500, i believe that a company called s.a motorsport do bolt in rear ones for about 500 and thats finished and taylor made. I'm still underside as the mk5 dash doesn't look easy to cut into but I'm still go full retard! aha

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2015, 08:55:00 pm »
also top hand corner on that link above it you can switch to "english"  :P

dansmith180

« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2015, 02:16:17 am »
also top hand corner on that link above it you can switch to "english"  :P

:rolleye:  :rolleye: what a bell end

My mates just had a full weld in one in his skoda for 1500, i believe that a company called s.a motorsport do bolt in rear ones for about 500 and thats finished and taylor made. I'm still underside as the mk5 dash doesn't look easy to cut into but I'm still go full retard! aha

Is that Jake with the VRS by any chance? I love that car, had a Fabia as my first car so got a proper soft spot for them and his is my favourite. Seen it at the homegrown meet a few times.

Haha I don't have the balls to go full retard but would like to do a rear cage and find some decent front seats that don't break the bank, I've been looking at a few options on Demon Tweeks (just found out the have a huuuge shop so I can try some) I'm liking the look of these atm.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/seats-reclining/sparco-r333-seat

Wasn't sure about styling at first but they've really grown on me, current plan is to just get the car back and sort my finances in the next few months then April/May when I'll no doubt be bored of the current look maybe change it up and go 'racecar' and get some track driving done again  :driver:

dansmith180

Re: Dans grey MK5 GTI, best value track tyres?
« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2015, 10:09:22 pm »
So in all the excitement I forgot to mention I picked up some Team Dynamics 1.2's 18x8 ET40 just before I broke the car.

Have been wondering what tyres to put on them, I was thinking Michelin PSS since they're so good all round but seems a bit pointless playing it safe on a second set of wheels and would rather try some more track focused tyres.

My current list is:

Federal 595-RSR
Nankang NS-2R
Toyo R888/ R888R

The Toyo's are obviously the best and only seem to be about £130 in a 225/40/18 ATM which is pretty good but the other 2 options are £40 odd cheaper each, so the question really is are the Toyo's worth the extra cash and if not then which of the others is best? I've done a good bit of googling but would be interested to hear from people with similar cars as to how they behave. Also welcome any other suggestions, thanks.

Offline Matt5gti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #312 on: November 02, 2015, 10:50:18 am »
Fair play mate this look amazing love the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #313 on: November 02, 2015, 01:49:53 pm »
I've driven Jake's car  :popcornsoda:
Very aggressive!

I would stick with some high end road tyres personally or look at Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

dansmith180

« Reply #314 on: November 04, 2015, 07:38:44 pm »
So today the Turbo and fuel pump arrived but will be a few weeks before its all done, I also ended up buying a Helix clutch kit with new SMF from AKS so now I can run more power  :evilgrin:  :driver:

So this has ended up costing about twice what I had first budgeted but oh well. So selling the TD 1.2's and just going to stick with Michelin PSS on the Merc rims as they're great on track anyways and seems silly to have £1k worth of wheels and tyres that will be used very rarely.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:51:42 pm by dansmith180 »