Make a donation

Author Topic: servicing your own Gti  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
servicing your own Gti
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:46:24 pm »
Hi guys. Right, I've always serviced my own cars, but my Gti is the most modern car I've owned. I can service it and do basic maintenance myself, but the question is... Obviously doing it yourself you don't get a stamp in the service book, and they may put off potential buyers when I come to sell the car. Would keeping the receipts and documenting the mileage be good enough?  I'm not tight, I jut prefer to serve my own cars before anyone says haha. Cheers guys

Offline Tazgti5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: servicing your own Gti
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:56 pm »
I'm as from tomorrow going to service my car myself,
As a 7 year old car don't think will make any difference if the service book is stamped or not.
Just my opinion  :happy2:

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:29:51 pm »
My car had full dealer history until i bought it 6 weeks ago and have recently serviced it myself, kept all invoices for quality oe spec parts used and have written it the service book mileage and description of work carried out etc

I trust nobody with my cars especially spanner monkey dealerships, im very meticoulous with things and as a mechanical engineer not shy round the spanners either which is handy, i could het a dodgy stamp in the book if wanted but whats the point id rather be honest and if people see that as a negative then more fool them  :laugh:

My car is now cared for better than any dealer serviced car in the country - Fact  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline Tazgti5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »
My car had full dealer history until i bought it 6 weeks ago and have recently serviced it myself, kept all invoices for quality oe spec parts used and have written it the service book mileage and description of work carried out etc

I trust nobody with my cars especially spanner monkey dealerships, im very meticoulous with things and as a mechanical engineer not shy round the spanners either which is handy, i could het a dodgy stamp in the book if wanted but whats the point id rather be honest and if people see that as a negative then more fool them  :laugh:

My car is now cared for better than any dealer serviced car in the country - Fact  :happy2:

Totally agree  :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »
Most enthusiasts, like most people on here for example, know of the not-so-reliable servicing offered by main dealers. I think many people who know cars would prefer to see someone who's followed torque settings and attention to detail more than a stamp in a book.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!