Make a donation

Author Topic: omeydz's Golf MK6 TSI - GTI/R20 Hybrid *DSG converted*  (Read 114206 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Omar, what are you doing with the old clutch/gearbox?

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
With regards to the slave cylinder, does it just have a feed to the master brake cylinder? My thoughts are you can strip it back to where it meets the bulk head and find some way of sealing it properly as far back towards the master cylinder as possible. If you can remove the lines all the way to the MC and plug any holes left with the correct bolts that may be an option too.

I like your line about adding DSG as a modification as you wanted it. It's one of the main reasons I'm selling my GTI, because I want 4motion and DSG, I would do the 4motion conversion on my GTI but I'm not brave enough to tackle a DSG-4motion swap together!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
Omar, what are you doing with the old clutch/gearbox?

Will sell it as long as the dsg modification is successful!! I changed the gear oil less that 1k miles ago and shifts like a dream.

Interested??  :ashamed:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:30:30 pm by omeydz »
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
With regards to the slave cylinder, does it just have a feed to the master brake cylinder? My thoughts are you can strip it back to where it meets the bulk head and find some way of sealing it properly as far back towards the master cylinder as possible. If you can remove the lines all the way to the MC and plug any holes left with the correct bolts that may be an option too.

I like your line about adding DSG as a modification as you wanted it. It's one of the main reasons I'm selling my GTI, because I want 4motion and DSG, I would do the 4motion conversion on my GTI but I'm not brave enough to tackle a DSG-4motion swap together!

Slave leads to the master clutch cylinder, which takes a feed from the brake reservoir.

Think things will be ok tied to one side for now and will look into putting a stopper into the hardline. Ultimately to remove it completely Ill need to replace the brake fluid reservoir. With the amount of work left at the minute, thats quite low down on my to do list.

Haha yep the DSG is definitely a mod. Ok not as straightforward as fitting cruise or a satnav but nevertheless an improvement, quicker shifts, ever so slightly more economical apparently and of course DSG paddles and a dsg pop/fart  :surprised: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I think AWD is far more involved than my DSG conversion. Im not having to cut and chop the body and floorpan... if I came to that Id sell up like you say..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:29:22 pm by omeydz »
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Day 3

New gearbox is now IN! Replaced the dogbone and gearbox left console mounts too so should be lovely and snug in the engine bay.

Had to remove drivers side driveshaft mounting flange from the gearbox and passenger side wishbone/Arb mount and joint bracket to the subframe which was a bit of a pain but that created enough room to pop the gearbox in. Since taking that off struggling to get the ARB to bolt back down so I gave up today and will tackle that tomorrow.

Also completed my centre resonator box delete so should get a very audible DSG fart noise and a little bit more of a throaty exhaust note.

More to come this weekend!
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Good work so far. I swapped a MC in a mk4 Golf, it's actually quite a quick job really but as you say, it's a low priority when you're swapping a gearbox over! I'm sure a hard line plug will be enough of a fix for a long while yet.

If I were going to cut up my floor plain to fit 4motion, I'd also re-locate the battery to the rear at the same time as this further helps weight distribution which goes even further to improving handling. Whack a carbon bonnet and wings on the front too and you'll have a mighty different beast on your hands.

:driver:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline nicsabers

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Day 3

New gearbox is now IN! Replaced the dogbone and gearbox left console mounts too so should be lovely and snug in the engine bay.

Had to remove drivers side driveshaft mounting flange from the gearbox and passenger side wishbone/Arb mount and joint bracket to the subframe which was a bit of a pain but that created enough room to pop the gearbox in. Since taking that off struggling to get the ARB to bolt back down so I gave up today and will tackle that tomorrow.

Also completed my centre resonator box delete so should get a very audible DSG fart noise and a little bit more of a throaty exhaust note.

More to come this weekend!

looking good man

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Day 4

Had a couple of hours in the workshop so I cracked on with getting the ARB in place but in the process I sheared a droplink bolt so waiting on new droplink. Got the starter motor in and wired. Shifter mechanism attached to gearbox.

Next proper update saturday. Finish the droplink, driveshafts in, move the car off the ramp and tuck it in a quiet corner of the workshop to wire it all up.

ECU been programmed and arrived back today. Many thanks to Aftab at ChiptuningShop.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:46:29 pm by omeydz »
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Day 5

ARB droplink replaced. Finally tamed that pesky ARB... hah!!

Modified brackets and reconnected various loose sensors and connector plugs. Afraid to leave stuff loose and electrics getting shredded in the fans  :scared: !! They are well and truly secure now..

Driveshafts fitted. PITA!!. Access was even less with the DSG box in compared to the manual. Driveshafts I bought used and think they were sat for a while so they were bit stiff which didn't help either.

Exhaust parts all linked up and connected together now. Backbox tips aligned up nicely.

Engine ECU with DSG software refitted

Wheels on and job done! We now have a rolling car.

Front is a smidge lower now than before due to heavier DSG box but think its minimal. Will see how I get on day to day. If it bothers me loads then new set of lowering springs will be on the cards.

Remaining jobs:

-Wiring
-Fit ignition lock solenoid
-Replace pedal mechanisms for Accelerator and brake
-Remove clutch pedal and associated mechanisms and fittings
-Refit all interior bits
-Vagcom programming and recoding
-Go for a test drive and calibrate gearbox  :scared:
-THE END
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:45:53 pm by omeydz »
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
Well done Omar!  Hope the test drive goes well

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
Well done good job!

Interesting comments about the ride height as I've noticed before my 2.0 TDI DSG Match sits lower than Manual 1.4 TSI/ 1.6 TDI versions.
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Cheers! Having the bigger heavier diesel engine and heavier dsg box itll add weight. But should be counteracted with springs which compress less to counter extra weight yet achieve the same ride height.

Obviously GT models are different ride height to the match and different to S etc etc
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Made a start on wiring today.. goes without saying its like a trail left behind from an electrical spaghetti monster!

Iv fathomed out all 10 pages of wiring schematics and laid down about 25% of the wiring. More to be done this weekend.

Wiring seems harder that the gearbox swap itself it seems but I shall prevail!!
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Wiring is now finished.

Need to fit battery and CAI and some other bits, tie down the new wiring and will be all set to test drive on wednesday all being well!!!

Itching to get it on the road and for it to go well. Wish me luck!!
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Good luck mate! (You crazy man!)

This stuff is epic, IMHO. :notworthy: