Make a donation

Author Topic: omeydz's Golf MK6 TSI - GTI/R20 Hybrid *DSG converted*  (Read 114241 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Even in standard form, the DSG gearbox is amazing on the twisty B-roads, overtaking is so much easier and spirited driving is on another level. Combined with the 4motion, I don't regret changing from the GTI to the Golf R. I'm just looking forward to a DSG map upgrade now.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 50
Awesome!! All this talk is making me want an R too  :evilgrin:

Must finish what I started though.
Recently back on the forum! Good to be back
Current Rides
Mazda RX8 231bhp ( very different little rocket lol!)
----
SOLD
2011 Golf MK6 1.4 TFSI R20/GTI Hybrid - DSG converted *world first!*
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
Don't give up! It was a tough decision upgrading to an R, but I still reckon my GTI could leave it behind in the twisty roads as with all the suspension upgrades it corners much better than the R.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Don't give up! It was a tough decision upgrading to an R, but I still reckon my GTI could leave it behind in the twisty roads as with all the suspension upgrades it corners much better than the R.

But once you have the equivalent upgrades on the R surely that would be a step ahead further again?
 :pomppomp:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
Ah mate, it'll totally turn the tides if I went all out on the suspension. However I only plan to use VWR springs and ARB's with a better Haldex controller and possibly a differential upgrade this time, as I want to retain the switchable chassis modes and I've read good reports about the VWR springs alone in terms of handling. Add in the other bits mentioned and I'll have a set up good for fast road and 400bhp.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
KW DCC coilovers.
Apparently available in V1 for a shade under £1000.  :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
I have seen the KW's but only aware of one kit that's comparable with DCC... Shall investigate.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: omeydz's Golf MK6 TSI - GTI/R20 Hybrid (DSG conversion- Faulty Gearbox???!!!)
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2015, 07:15:22 pm »
Update: News is not good. The mechatronics unit has been deemed beyond repair. They tested the pump upto and beyond the voltage and they could not get any movement so they said it cannot be repaired. So seems Im staring down the barrel of a new mechatronics. Will be about £1k from dealers after discount but ill need to check this.

If they couldnt get pumps to turn i guess thats why the actuators were not engaging or disengaging. 

F**k!!!!
Since this thread was such an educational journey would this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyp96e1p16Q&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs helped you?

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: omeydz's Golf MK6 TSI - GTI/R20 Hybrid (DSG conversion- **COMPLETED**)
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2015, 02:15:38 pm »
 :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:BIG NEWS EVERYONE!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

After much fettling and calibrating I officially have a working DSG today.... Been a long road but am so happy to have got there at last. So silky smooth and sounds dirty on the gearshift!! Words cannot describe my feelings!!!!!  :jumping: :jumping: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:  :driver: :driver:

Have to tidy up the wiring, fit trims,  tweak the exhaust and as the cars been in the workshop for 4 months-ish and now due a service so may as well sort that while I have ramps to myself.

Will post up some final pictures once everything is back together.

Not sure if its a world first but as far as I know I am the first person in the UK if not the world who has fitted a DSG to a manual car with the original engine and original setup (not just transplant everything from an auto car) if so additional celebrations!  :drinking: :drinking:

Big credit and thanks to @kalu  for sorting my engine ECU programming (been refusing to let me pay him till I got it working! Please claim your payment sir!  :happy2: )

:driver: :driver: :driver:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:14:07 pm by omeydz »
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=60amgcnhg12vhretjvb75t3q97&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2015, 02:23:46 pm »
:jumping: :jumping: :jumping:BIG NEWS EVERYONE!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

After much fettling and calibrating I officially have a working DSG today.... Been a long road but am so happy to have got there at last. So silky smooth and sounds dirty on the gearshift!! Words cannot describe my feelings!!!!!  :jumping: :jumping: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:  :driver: :driver:

Have to tidy up the wiring, fit trims,  tweak the exhaust and as the cars been in the workshop for 4 months-ish and now due a service so may as well sort that while I have ramps to myself.

Will post up some final pictures once everything is back together.

Not sure if its a world first but as far as I know I am the first person in the UK if not the world who has fitted a DSG to a manual car with the original engine and original setup (not just transplant everything from an auto car) if so additional celebrations!  :drinking: :drinking:

Big credit and thanks to kalu for sorting my engine ECU programming (been refusing to let me pay him till I got it working! Please claim your payment sir!  :happy2: )

:driver: :driver: :driver:
Well done mate!

So what was the problem? Did you fit a new mechatronics unit?

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2015, 02:37:43 pm »
The refurb mechatronics I got has a faulty hydraulic pump and wasn't giving me any gears so I have to return that.

So I fettled the hydraulic fluid levels, recalibrated the actuators and some other measurements with my vernier calipers and by some sheer luck I managed to grab 1st gear but was kangarooing all over the place and throwing clutch errors. So more fettling later and a month off working on the car to recharge and recouperate, 3rd time removing and replacing the mechatronics I was able to perform and complete basic settings and go for a drive and grabbed all gears smoothly. Voila!
Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2015, 07:05:41 pm »
Hurray! Finally, you get to enjoy DSG! It's probably tainted for you but what's your thoughts on it so far?

Offline omeydz

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2015, 09:20:19 pm »
I guess its sort of bittersweet in hindsight but far more sweet than bitter.

It performs remarkably well and very smooth and responsive. DSG fart noises aren't too loud at all unless im going flat out and Iv only done centre resonator delete.

Iv only ever had manual cars so my left foot is a bit confused, especially as I still have a clutch pedal lol . Will get round to removing that soon!

Iv been through all 8 gears ( 7 forward + reverse) which are seamless but in "D" on a steady 35-40mph it reaches 6th and just before 50mph its in 7th. Its like its too eager to reach the highest possible gear .. Sound right? If i give the accelerator a stab it downshifts and takes off just fine or I can obviously select what I want in triptronic or paddles.

Current Rides
----
SOLD
2007 MK5 Golf 1.4 FSI
2007 Golf MK5 GTI DSG
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2015, 12:04:09 am »
Amazing news! Big congrats!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Now just enjoy your hard work.  :smiley:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »

Brilliant news dude! Glad it's all sorted and the stress is over so you can now enjoy it!