Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 2+ K03 best mods/ expected figures  (Read 32882 times)

dansmith180

Stage 2+ K03 best mods/ expected figures
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:27:31 pm »
As above really, I've got a K03 GTI and I'm planning on going stage 2+ early next year and wondering what the best mods are and what numbers to expect.

What I currently have:
Standard downpipe
Custom downpipe back exhaust with 200cel sports cat
Revo cam coated intake
Custom remap

What I plan to add:
Precat removal
LOBA HPFP
THS intercooler

I already have brakes/ suspension etc.... So purely from a performance perspective is there anything I should add to/ change about my list? What numbers should I expect?

The reason I have a standard downpipe is because I want to keep low down torque and I don't think a K03 needs a bigger DP, if I'm wrong on that let me know.

Any advice appreciated.  :happy2:

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Stage 2+ K03 best mods/ expected figures
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 11:49:38 pm »
Yes, get a downpipe. I have a 3" downpipe de-cat on mine and it has plenty of low down torque. I'd also buy a china cooler for half the cost of the THS, and put the difference toward a WMI kit
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 01:18:13 am »
i have a nice stage 3 clutch in the forsale thread lol.

Not needed but still good to have.

Sounds like a nice spec your puting together mate.

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 01:35:46 am »
Engine mounts  :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

dansmith180

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:14 am »
Yes, get a downpipe. I have a 3" downpipe de-cat on mine and it has plenty of low down torque. I'd also buy a china cooler for half the cost of the THS, and put the difference toward a WMI kit

I've already got the THS since I got a really good price, also allthough the China coolers look the same I doubt they're the same quality and probably wouldn't give the same temp drops of a branded one.

I've heard a couple of negative things about the Sachs stuff actually so I'll stick with the Helix organic clutch, thanks for the offer  :happy2:. Yeh I'm hoping it'll be able to suprise a few things when its done.

Engine mounts  :happy2:

I'm going to get the Superpro one as Alex suggested it when I had my service done last month but couldn't get the damn bolt off and didn't want to break it. I've never really done much research into engine mounts as I didnt think they made that much difference, are they really that noticeable?

Thanks for the replys  :happy2:

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:04:37 am »

I've already got the THS since I got a really good price, also allthough the China coolers look the same I doubt they're the same quality and probably wouldn't give the same temp drops of a branded one.

I've heard a couple of negative things about the Sachs stuff actually so I'll stick with the Helix organic clutch, thanks for the offer  :happy2:. Yeh I'm hoping it'll be able to suprise a few things when its done.

Really. Like what? They are a bit pricey right enough brandnew.

I stuck with standard clutch. Pretty much running same spec or will be when you get everything made 300bhp. Ths intercooler makes a nice difference.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:09:00 am »

They're the same cooler and have been proven to flow at much higher power levels than a K03 can manage, some people just prefer to have the cooler without the branding being removed  :wink: Mine was a big improvement over the standard cooler, and keeps temps within a couple of degrees of ambient when on the move. I did a lot of logging, and even after repeated WOT pulls through 3rd and 4th gears, IAT stayed within 5 degrees of ambient  :happy2:

Irrelevant if you've already bought the cooler though. Downpipe would be a good idea, as would WMI along with the HPFP
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:11:03 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

dansmith180

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:44:28 am »

They're the same cooler and have been proven to flow at much higher power levels than a K03 can manage, some people just prefer to have the cooler without the branding being removed  :wink: Mine was a big improvement over the standard cooler, and keeps temps within a couple of degrees of ambient when on the move. I did a lot of logging, and even after repeated WOT pulls through 3rd and 4th gears, IAT stayed within 5 degrees of ambient  :happy2:

Irrelevant if you've already bought the cooler though. Downpipe would be a good idea, as would WMI along with the HPFP

Oh wow I'm suprised they're that good, yeh THS is a lot for K03 but I'm leaving enough room for a K04 at some point maybe. I like the idea of WMI but might be a pain since I do 12000+ miles a year, might look into that if I go bigger power at some point though. Cheers for the info  :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:38:50 am »

I stuck with standard clutch. Pretty much running same spec or will be when you get everything made 300bhp. Ths intercooler makes a nice difference.

Someone I know had one on a Seat K1 cupra and it was quite firm and jerky, then about 4 months in he had an issue and Sachs found a way out of the warranty, some excuse about fitting etc. Anyways he might have just been unlucky or unreasonable but it put me off a bit.

Also from my research people seem to recommend the Helix organic over the Sachs stuff so that's what I'm going with. The Helix organic and new DMF is what Alex at AKS said to use and I might be wrong but I think he doesn't supply Sachs products anymore because of problems. I might be wrong and if so I'll delete that but I'm pretty sure I read a while back he doesn't stock them anymore.

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:29 am »

Someone I know had one on a Seat K1 cupra and it was quite firm and jerky, then about 4 months in he had an issue and Sachs found a way out of the warranty, some excuse about fitting etc. Anyways he might have just been unlucky or unreasonable but it put me off a bit.

Also from my research people seem to recommend the Helix organic over the Sachs stuff so that's what I'm going with. The Helix organic and new DMF is what Alex at AKS said to use and I might be wrong but I think he doesn't supply Sachs products anymore because of problems. I might be wrong and if so I'll delete that but I'm pretty sure I read a while back he doesn't stock them anymore.
I never got to try mine so god knows lol. Like most things always someone had a problem.

In saying that though not seen a bad thing about the helix.

dansmith180

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 09:55:22 am »
@howie1987 That's a very good point I hadn't realized until you said it I'm actually yet to hear a bad review on the Helix, obviously someone has got one but I haven't seen it yet. Supposedly its running 417lbf and doing fine on a car somewhere. Also its one of the cheapest so can't go wrong really.  :driver:

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 10:20:10 am »
Every clutch i have owened with a sachs plate has took about 10 minutes to change gear.. I know someone running helix on a big turbo but only low boost about 400ftlb and its done lots of track
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

dansmith180

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:41:02 am »
Every clutch i have owened with a sachs plate has took about 10 minutes to change gear.. I know someone running helix on a big turbo but only low boost about 400ftlb and its done lots of track

What are you running in yours?

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 10:52:07 am »
Clutchmasters fx725 with twin race plates
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

dansmith180

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 12:24:59 pm »
So you reckon the Helix is good enough to take anything a K04 could throw at it? That's probably the most power I'll put through this car.