Make a donation

Author Topic: Front brake upgrade - 4 pot, two piece rotor. Where to buy & recommendations  (Read 12577 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
I'm looking to replace my S3 front brakes for a specification close to that in the title. I guess the usual suspects are in contention AP, Brembo, Alcon and now even Revo (Alcon) supply a number of kits.
The reason for the upgrade is that on track the brakes struggle to keep up with the car. These will be for function not show.

I'd like to invite any opinions on kits and options and also any tips on where to buy from experienced owners.

Thanks in advance!  :happy2:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a9gng06m40p7snostt58pc24it&/topic,19740.0.html
Can't fault mine really... Bar the cost  :sick:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587

@vRSAlex @AKS tuning for big brake kits, I love mine and they perform amazingly!

dansmith180

I saw on awesome gti they now do 2 piece 345mm R32 discs, so:
TTRS/ RS3 calipers
DaveB brackets from AKS for 345/ 340mm discs
2 piece R32 discs
Feroddo/ pagid/ brembo sport pads
Braided hoses

Could probably put that lot together for £1250 odd which is which is how much the 362mm 2 piece disvs cost on their own

I have this setup but with drilled and grooved TTS 340mm discs and theyre fantastic. Will probably get myself some 2 piece discs when my need replacing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:04:55 pm by dansmith180 »

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Rich, what do you have fitted currently?

dansmith180

I believe he has the TTRS/ DB9 calioers and 362mm AP 2 piece discs

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a9gng06m40p7snostt58pc24it&/topic,19740.0.html
Rich, what do you have fitted currently?

What dan said... and RS4-2 pads. Total overkill but i know 100% they wont let me down.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Over specifying isn't a waste of money, a waste of money and time would be to realise you've  not got it right and needing to repeat the exercise. I also need to ensure, like you, that either the car or myself don't outgrow the brakes with any trackdays etc. I've already lost two sessions at Goodwood due to heavy pad pickup and massive vibrations coming through the entire car. Can't be helped, but as an example, there's waste of money  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:17:36 am by flashp »

dansmith180

Well with the TTRS calipers, some 2 piece discs and decent pads you won't suffer that again. I love my brakes, the R32 setup I had before was good enough but with these I just feel much more confident driving the car properly and they're a big weight saving as well.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Well, I have to say I think there are too many choices for this!  :rolleye:
Spoke to AKS today, had a good chat and talked about some good solutions. Particulalrly new Brembo (DB9) calipers and AP full floating discs.

My next car (in some time) is likely to be a Mk7 R. So I'd like to be able to take at least all the expensive stuff from the Mk5 brake kit to that. If that looks like it's not possible or there's still significant expense in getting those parts on then it may be more prudent to spend more modestly now whilst getting the job done and my current problems solved. When it's time to sell the car I could have it taken off so the S3 parts can go back on and then sell the BBK on it's own for an equally modest loss.

As I said, there's so many hardware options it's a bit bewildering!

TTRS calipers were also talked about, some secondhand ones maybe? Wary of Ebay for stuff like this. On the subject of these, I'm sure I heard that Audi had issued a recall on these brakes??

Have I really got to spend £2,000????

Any further suggestions very welcome!   :drinking:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:35:13 pm by flashp »

dansmith180

The recall was for rattling and squeaking pads, also the discs are a bit pants because they're not sided so they don't cool very well. Mine have been fine with the aftermarket pads, quite a few people run them and I haven't heard of any issues.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Are you sure you need the 2 piece discs?
My aks ttrs/db9 set up with EBC USR discs and rs4-2s hasn't faded on me yet even with multiple successsive 100mph+ to 20 stops... OEM (new) fluid too so in theory could further expand with performance fluid if you believe in that junk.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Are you sure you need the 2 piece discs?
My aks ttrs/db9 set up with EBC USR discs and rs4-2s hasn't faded on me yet even with multiple successsive 100mph+ to 20 stops... OEM (new) fluid too so in theory could further expand with performance fluid if you believe in that junk.
That's a fair question, I'll give you some background...

I had a trackday at Goodwood and the car developed quite a vigorous shake when braking from almost any speed over 80mph. On my day I was breaking for Woodcote from 140mph and the right before St Marys from 125mph, so two heavy slow downs and a few other minor speed adjustments. Clip is here, note that when this started to happen I had no choice but to moderate speed a little before stopping for the day. From 14 to 18 seconds is the best illustration, and ALL of that movement is the vibration I'm describing. Camera mount is solid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t6eIEHETTA

When I got in to paddock I checked wheel bolt torque just in case and I found a hub thread stripped, see this thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92081.msg925968.html#msg925968

Anyhow, turns out the brakes have also got too hot (no fade) and the pads have deposited on to the disc which caused all the vibration and some very minor warping is also present. I consider myself lucky as it's entirely possible for the wheel bolts to loosen with the severity of the vibration.

So, I want a system that I can rely on to deal with some hard use without the risk of these issues. At present what that setup will comprise of I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:39:06 am by flashp »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
May as well just save and go for 2 piece... knowing that you can stamp on the brakes as many times as you want and they wont go tits up.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
May as well just save and go for 2 piece... knowing that you can stamp on the brakes as many times as you want and they wont go tits up.
Fully floating or bolted do you think?
Pad choice(s) will be my next dilemma!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:51:55 pm by flashp »