Make a donation

Author Topic: Another Steel Grey GTI  (Read 3961 times)

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Another Steel Grey GTI
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »
Hideeeehi everyone,

I used to own a Focus 2.0 TDCI which was not a bad car by any stretch of the imagination... easily returned 55MPG and had it remapped so was around 165 bhp and a bunch load of torque however it was time to go back to petrol and have some more revs to play with.

I know I wanted a 'hot' hatch but really couldnt decide what to go for... I wouldnt touch anything french (my first car was a Peugeot and buying parts for them was a joke!), Vauxhall was also a no, would have loved a Focus ST but the 2.5T was a bit too thirsty for my wallet  :sad1:

I test drove a Civic Type R, loved the vtec power and the response of an NA engine but it was very unpredictable to drive, steering felt naff and it tram lined all over the road. So ended up with a the Golf... twice the price of a Civic but so worth the money. My first VW and my first German car, the build quality is so much better and thanks to TPS parts are reasonably priced too  :smiley:

Searched everywhere for a 3 door steel grey GTI, ended up with this:

Had a good long journey home to get used to her. First impressions were great... on the journey home I got 37ish MPG without driving carefully at all, winner!

Still love how well it corners, the power delivery is smooth and driving carefully I can get just over 40MPG (My commute to work is about 23 miles each way most of which at 50ish MPH so getting some good M's for my G's really does help)

Anywho, I intend to mod away as my budget allows... intake, coilovers, refurb the wheels, exhaust, remap etc...

First thing I tackled was my key... the VW badge paint had worn off making it look unloved, quick look on ebay and got me some new badges

Changed the interior lights, went for blue LEDs

Bought a useful little box to make an aux input look like a CD, my stereo fell for it and now have a Aux input... a picture of the hole in my dash:

Noticed on the history my cambelt hadn't been change from new (7 years and 68,000 miles  :confused:) a trip to TPS and £150 later I had a new cambelt kit and waterpump... took a day to change it over but wasn't too bad a job, certainly done worse. Also changed the cam follower whilst I was under the bonnet, not too much wear but a weird pattern with some odd scratches.

I am in to that whole preventative maintenance thing, so went and installed a DV+, so much better than the standard DV (mine wasn't even split, Rev C) holds the turbo higher up the rev range

Also went into the stealers this weekend for a service to get the trusty stamp. Got the brake fluid changed whilst it was in their as it was due.

On the look out for a new intake next... perhaps a Christmas present to myself  :jumpmove:

That is all for now

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Another Steel Grey GTI
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »
Nice purchase and some essential maintenance work also

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:52:31 pm »
Nice looking motor there. You might be better just getting a panel filter and using the money for a remap, you'll see far better power returns, better economy and far smoother engine response. An intake will gain you torques at the top end of the rev range, but you'll loose low down torques.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Sjw_Vw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »
Very nice. Liking that you're looking after it :happy2:
Instagram - sjw_vw. Updated all the time :)

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:28:44 pm »
Thanks for all the comments... I tend to have some mechanical sympathy and hope if I look after it it will look after me  :love:

I also have a non road legal discovery I use for off roading, naturally it is in better condition than most road legal ones  :stupid:

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 04:34:19 pm »
So a little update on things...

Bought a full turbo back exhaust system off here, Blueflame 3" system R32 style  :innocent: looks great and sounds extra great.
Used PPCGB for the bumper as I couldn't afford to go genuine and as an added bonus, no painting was required, think I will leave the whole car uncolour coded...quite like the black lower bits with the black wheels.

Put some pressed plates on whilst I was messing around with the bumper

Also gave her a wash and wax... She is by no means clean but does look shiney so took some pictures before the dirt returns! (You can just seen my other toy in the background  :evilgrin: )

And the obligatory water beading shot...

See what Santa brings me tomorrow, hoping for some short shift bits and bushings  :innocent:

That's all for now
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 03:52:28 pm by TyGTI »

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
Looks good! Lovely colour especially with the black wheels....  :happy2: same as mine  :laugh: liking the bumper valance idea, where was this from? How you finding the DV+

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 03:56:02 pm »
Thanks,

Used PPCGB for the bumper... Not a perfect fit but certainly not bad, the important bits all fitted great just had some issues with the arch liners.

DV+ is good, can't comment on what it's like compare to a Rev G but I like it and I know it won't split on me... One of those fit and forget things  :happy2:

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 05:12:59 pm »
Very good! Thats what i'm thinking of getting one on for so its problem free. Any other plans for it?

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 05:34:13 pm »
Refurb the wheels and could do with a remap at some point, although couple other performance mods before the remap, would like to put a better intercooler on to lower the turbo temps... Nothing too crazy for now  :innocent:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 07:36:42 pm »
That cam follower is quite worn mate - my ed30 hadn't even worn the black coating  off when I swapped it at 68k.
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 09:36:16 pm »
Yeah, looking at others I thought it was pretty worn...also the wear pattern is off centre with some odd scratches in it  :drinking:

Will check the new one I fitted at some point to see what it's up to... Has had fresh oil since so that should help

Offline Dwarfus

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 04:01:42 pm »
Where did you get your wheels refurbed?

Offline TyGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 08:42:45 pm »
Haven't got them done yet... Think I'll wait to change my tyres and so them at the same time.

Still deciding whether to get them powder coated or painted

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 12:06:16 pm »
Looking good,recently bought a similar age car and that also has never had a cambelt at 72k.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT