Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 vs R32  (Read 19242 times)

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
Re: Edition 30 vs R32
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 08:32:35 pm »
Here's another spanner in the works for you  :laugh: but seriously for around your 10k budget maybe an absolute smidge more for a nice one have you considered a 2006 onwards Audi S3? 265bhp, 4wd 3pg+ and with a 0-60 time of 5.7 seconds will blow the doors off a Eddie or R32

Worth considering mate, deffinately something im considering upgrading my Gti to when I can be bothered  :happy2:

I have looked at the Audi's and they do seem like powerful machines but not sure if I like the look of them as much as the golfs

Glad you say that as my exact dilemma when looked at them previously

Why oh wht did Vw not do a special edition Gti with 4wd

Even the Golf R mk6 and Mk7 would have been funkier with a limited editin Gti badge on them
R just sounds a bit poo, I mean you can buy a 1.2 75bhp Polo R for gods sake  :grin:

Just drive a Eddie and a R32 then make your decision mate
Its a hard old life isn't it, doesn't get much worse than the dilemma of picking a Edition 30 or R32 does it
Feel really sorry for you, poor bugger  :jumpmove: :rolleye:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 08:54:50 pm »
Here's another spanner in the works for you  :laugh: but seriously for around your 10k budget maybe an absolute smidge more for a nice one have you considered a 2006 onwards Audi S3? 265bhp, 4wd 3pg+ and with a 0-60 time of 5.7 seconds will blow the doors off a Eddie or R32

Worth considering mate, deffinately something im considering upgrading my Gti to when I can be bothered  :happy2:

I have looked at the Audi's and they do seem like powerful machines but not sure if I like the look of them as much as the golfs

Glad you say that as my exact dilemma when looked at them previously

Why oh wht did Vw not do a special edition Gti with 4wd

Even the Golf R mk6 and Mk7 would have been funkier with a limited editin Gti badge on them
R just sounds a bit poo, I mean you can buy a 1.2 75bhp Polo R for gods sake  :grin:

Just drive a Eddie and a R32 then make your decision mate
Its a hard old life isn't it, doesn't get much worse than the dilemma of picking a Edition 30 or R32 does it
Feel really sorry for you, poor bugger  :jumpmove: :rolleye:

Haha, i know what you mean. My bank holiday is going to be ruined having to test drive eddys and R32's  :wink:

Might check out a few Audi's if any near me but just dont like the back end. I mean I do like the front end and grill but still not a patch on the VW look

dansmith180

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
I own a mapped GTI and get to drive a moded R32 fairly regularly and personally I prefer the GTI all day. The low down power/ noise and grip are very nice but I find its just a bit boring to drive with the smooth power delivery and nearly unlimited grip. As a well balanced all rounder its expensive but excellent. However if it's a laugh you're after the ED30 is the way to go, the 2.0tfsi power delivery is so punchy and the fwd means its a bit more on edge and fun to drive. Also with a decent exhaust the engine sounds really good for a 4pot and with an induction kit you get loads of good noises. Its all down to what you want from a car really.

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:21 pm »

Hmmmm.  But would it though in real world performance? I'd be interested to see a 30mph+ run to 100 between a ed30 and an s3 -rather than dragstrip  run from a set of lights. Particularly if both were mapped, there is some significant power loss through a 4wd system, traction off the line -yeah great, but when up and running......? Be interesting to see!

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 09:39:00 pm »

Hmmmm.  But would it though in real world performance? I'd be interested to see a 30mph+ run to 100 between a ed30 and an s3 -rather than dragstrip  run from a set of lights. Particularly if both were mapped, there is some significant power loss through a 4wd system, traction off the line -yeah great, but when up and running......? Be interesting to see!

Nobody is talking about modded/mapped mate
Im a boggo factory standard spec through and through these days and in standard form the S3 is a second quicker to 60 which might aswell be a week when talking about 0-60 times  :jumping:

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 09:48:23 pm »
I wasn't specifically talking about modding either, my main focus was more on the real world performance from rolling points and how they would compare -rather than a standing start.
 Each to their own. My world exists outside of 0-60 times. I've had both s3's and a v8 s4, to be honest neither felt as exciting and quick to drive as my 30, even if they perhaps were.....

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 09:54:16 pm »
I wasn't specifically talking about modding either, my main focus was more on the real world performance from rolling points and how they would compare -rather than a standing start.
 Each to their own. My world exists outside of 0-60 times. I've had both s3's and a v8 s4, to be honest neither felt as exciting and quick to drive as my 30, even if they perhaps were.....

I prefer the Golf also particularly the looks hence why im here  :smiley:
Looked at a A3 S Line 2.0 Tfsi Quattro (essentially a golf Gti) before purchasing my Gti and just thought if was a little bland

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 10:49:56 am »
The wheels can be repainted. :happy2:

It looks very well maintained. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 03:20:53 pm »
I chopped my R32 in for an Eddy and don't regret it one little bit!

Most Eddys make more than 230hp, so acceleration wise they're about the same, but the R32's power delivery is bloody awful (imo). 

Where as the Eddy's power swells gradually and is predicatable, the R32's low speed response is sharp to the point of being too ridiculous for everyday driving in heavy traffic.  And when you get on the open road, all that initial grunt just turns to flatness past 3000rpm, followed by a very noticeable step in power at 4100rpm when the intake switches to the power ports, more flatness, then at 5000rpm it starts pulling hard again.  Frustrating!

Net result: The Eddy feels more 230hp.  The R32 feels less than 250hp.

The Eddy is better in the corners too, imo.   R32 feels heavy and ungainly.  Eddy feels more poised and sharper, although both are improved markedly with the WALK upgrade.

If you like noise and 4WD grip off the line, the R32 is hard to beat though, but for me, those two traits didn't = a 'fun' car for me.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 07:22:28 pm »
Just checked the Garage which is 10 miles from me and has the below ED30 also has a few R32's so will hopefully be able to test drive both and make my decision from there.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503161788299/sort/pricedesc/maximum-age/up_to_9_years_old/transmission/automatic/price-to/10000/channel/cars/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/body-type/hatchback/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/3/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/postcode/ng229wl/radius/1501/page/1/price-from/5000/quicksearch/true/make/volkswagen/seller-type/trade_adverts/model/golf?logcode=p

Although reading all the reviews I think I am swaying towards an Ed30 as seems to have a lot more about it than the R32

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25:52 pm »
Try them both and make your own decision. The gti/ed30 are great cars but the superb traction and low down pulling power wins hands down for me and I just prefer 6 cylinders to 4 anyway, always have.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 10:58:08 pm »
Or use the 10k and put a deposit down on a mk7 Golf R and use the rest to pay a 2 year pcp.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:50 am »
Think I will have to test drive them both as it seems reading review although similar cars in power and looks to an extent you get very different delivery in power from each and specific different looks in areas like exhaust etc

Just watchd a few videos on the R32 and starting to love that now. I might be a middle aged man which is why I may be even looking at rhe R32 as opposed to the more fun ED30 but that exhaust sound on the R32 it just makes my hairs stand on end  :surprised:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You