Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 vs R32  (Read 19313 times)

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
Re: Edition 30 vs R32
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 12:45:28 pm »
Personally think the Cloth looks terrible in the R32 mate
Has to be the special bucket seat Recarro's in a R32 or atleast the standard full leather  :happy2:
A do know what you mean about the noise mate  :congrats:
Even had me looking on Autotrader at R32's this morning  :laugh:
If could find a low mileage imaculate example on a low tax bracket 06 plate I probably would be tempted myself with the R32
Let us know how you get on  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »
Personally think the Cloth looks terrible in the R32 mate
Has to be the special bucket seat Recarro's in a R32 or atleast the standard full leather  :happy2:
A do know what you mean about the noise mate  :congrats:
Even had me looking on Autotrader at R32's this morning  :laugh:
If could find a low mileage imaculate example on a low tax bracket 06 plate I probably would be tempted myself with the R32
Let us know how you get on  :happy2:

Yeah I think I will have to see what the Leather looks like in the flesh, think it is because cloth easily looks newer on first glance than the leather when looks creased but will see in person.

Watched a video on showing MK5 ED30 vs MK5 R32 and they were pretty similar apart form the 4wd, rear end and the exhaust sound seem to be edging me towards the R32.

Is the 06 plate cheaper in tax then as the ones I am looking at are between 2006-8

Offline Callum45

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »
Think the cars with the cheaper tax band are the ones registered before march 2006 therefore would be 55 plates

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 04:28:41 pm »
Think the cars with the cheaper tax band are the ones registered before march 2006 therefore would be 55 plates

Ah right well the ones I am looking at are 2006+ but if get to own one of this awesome machines then I can put up with the extra tax and petrol cost just  :happy2:

Offline sandancer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 05:19:07 pm »
That's correct but there's also a few 06 plate cars on the cheaper tax band ( reg up to 23rd march) then it gets confusing.
Other 06 plates and early 56 plates are £505 pa up to 1st Jan 07
Later 56 plates and early 07 plates are £490 pa up to 1st July 07
Later 07 plates onwards are £505 pa
That's for manual box
All dsg are cheaper tax up to 23rd march then £505 thereafter
I'm lucky as mines a 55 plate but the car condition is the important bit

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 05:38:28 pm »
Sounds very confusing but think I will be focusing on what car I want as if worried about cost I should just go out and get myself a nice little Renault Clio  :laugh:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2015, 01:16:13 am »
The R32 has pros and cons. Pros are lovely noises from an engine with no cam belt, traction, standard xenons (brilliant headlights, so go for these whichever Golf you choose) and I personally felt it was a special thing to drive compared to a GTI. You always feel like you're driving the top dog Golf in an R32. The cons are the VED bill on the later ones, as discussed already, the weight of the car, the fuel economy, slightly higher boot floor and the lack of tuneability. The handling is a little soggy, but can be tightened up nicely with some poly bushes and uprated ARBs. A lot of people who come from turbo'd cars slag off the linear power delivery, but they're plenty fast enough. You just don't get that shove because there's no boost, but you don't have to be a fanny with the throttle either, like you do in a tuned Edition 30, just mash it to the floor and let the Haldex sort out the rest. Speaking of which, the blue performance controller is a worthwhile, but expensive upgrade.

Honestly, though, if I were buying now I think I'd save a bit more and get a Golf R. Best of both worlds!

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 07:30:11 am »
If your not modding mad which im personally not then a standard decent normal Gti definately represents best value for money
Just dont understand the fascination and large price tag that goes with the Eddies as just don't think they special enough and for a really good example of a R32 your edging closer to mk6 R budget which has all the pro's of the R32 without any of the cons  :driver:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:07 am »
I am probably 70/30 towards the R32 to be honest as just want something that is slightly different to the standard GTI.

However I can see the Pro's and Con's of both and if I take away the extra costs of the R32 it seems to fit what I want more. I think it will come down to the driveability to be honest and hopefully I will know straight away once feel the different way the power is supplied in both.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2015, 11:05:00 am »
Way i looked at it when making the decision was the R32 will achieve not much more than half the mpg of a healthy Gti and is twice the price for road tax etc but is it twice the car! No unfortunately  :pomppomp:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2015, 11:15:43 am »
I find my standard Eddie very smooth while driving in Drive mode with a DSG. Put the DSG in Sport mode and put the accelerator all rge way down and it's totally different. :grin:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2015, 06:12:33 pm »
Well I had my test drives today and first of all totally enjoyed the DSG gearbox as it was brilliant.

Now for the Pro's and Con's on the 2 motors I test drove

R32 - Good
 - Loved the backend and prefered to the Ed30
 - Loved the 4wd
 - The smooth Power Delivery was really nice
 - Cruise Control
R32 - Bad
 - Not a patch on the Ed30 front end
 - No heated seat!!!!!
 - Full Interior cloth as opposed to the half leather Ed30
 - Interior was average at best and vey worn
 - Exhaust was a Miltec non res and the sound was too overpowering(but presume the standard exhaust would be nicer)

ED30 - Good
 - Interior was immaculate and well looked after
 - Upgraded Stereo Unit with SAT NAV
 - Heated Seats
 - Half Leather Interior
 - Lovely Front End
 - More exciting Power Delivery
 - Tornado Red(my favorite colour)
 - Wheels were not as bad in the flesh as on Pic
ED30 Bad
 - Nearly a grand more
 - Not 4wd
 - Back end more subtle than R32 and no acceleration noise

So I viewed a few more and the condition of the R32's were similar to the one above and the Ed30's were not in that good of a condition. So I ended up edging towards the ED30 I originally saw.

I am going back there tomorrow for a final viewing and test drive and to see what I can haggle on the price but wanted to see if there was anything I should definately check.

I check all the service history which was full and good. Also on around 60k the timing belt and water pump were changed.

As it is on 62k I was wondering if there was anything i should be specifically checking.

And if all good I could have the car by Wednesday  :driver:

Redemption

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »
Bear in mind if you want Heated Seats in an R32 you'll need to consider one with Leather Interior.  Looks like you're leaning towards an ED30 though...

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2015, 07:32:44 pm »
All sounds like a full investigation mate and great to hear your taking your time and being patient (expensive decision)
As for noise on the ed30 Ive always been pleasantly impressed by the sound from the little 2.0 in the Gti even with the standard system  :happy2:
Mine has a nice little rumble/rasp to it under hard acceleration

Full heated leather is a must in the 32 or Gti obviously the ed30 has half leather as standard

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2015, 09:06:32 pm »
Yeah on reflection the interior of the ED30 tipped it not being a mechanic you can only check the paperwork and go off the fact that if the interior and bodywork is kept in that condition then mechanical wise they looked after it.

Going to try and get some extras added on tomorrow when go and see again but not 100% sure for what to ask for. So far I am thinking full tank of fuel, 6 or 12 month warranty. Also the odd scuff on thebodywork that I will be asking to rectify.

But if all goes well could have the car in my possesion by Wednesday  :laugh: