Make a donation

Author Topic: Whining/rattling noise... Potential gearbox?  (Read 2689 times)

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
Whining/rattling noise... Potential gearbox?
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:06:25 pm »
So the car (2006 1.6 FSI 52k) has started making a weird rattling / whining sound on idle from the engine compartment... The noise persists whilst driving off in all gears and when the accelerator is pressed whilst in neutral.

however the noise disappears when the clutch is pressed/engaged...

Took the car to the local mechanic who diagnosed it has a worn gearbox... And charging around £1200 for new gearbox and clutch kit...

Anyone else had a similar problem? Or knows if it's possible to get the gearbox rebuilt?
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Whining/rattling noise... Potential gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:14:31 pm »
52k seems really low for the gearbox to be "worn" out.. especially on a low powered version, I guess it depends how it's been driven - my GTI with 300lb/ft and 150k on it had a new clutch/dmf recently and the gearbox was good.

You can get the gearbox rebuilt, but it's not cheap... £1200 for a "new" gearbox and clutch fitted isn't too bad a price really.

There's also the option of a reconditoned box, which they then take your box in Part Exchange, should work out cheaper... I'm assuming the 1.6 doesn't have a DMF so that cuts the cost quite a bit.

Labour isn't massive on these, don't pay more than £250 for that, personally I wouldn't use a new box on such an old car. :happy2:

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
Re: Whining/rattling noise... Potential gearbox?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:26:05 pm »
Cheers for help fella  :smiley:

Thought it was the clutch release bearing... Turns out it's both clutch and gearbox on its way out...

Was wandering if anyone can confirm if a gearbox from a 2005 1.6 would fit a 2006 model? Both 6 speed gearboxes.?
The donor car has part number starting 02q.... However I don't have access to mine so can't confirm?
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!