• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
FWD
« on: December 06, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »
Is quite frustrating in this weather, especially as I've recently had a few quattro cars. However, get it right and the rewards are massive. And the more and more I learn the car, the more rewarding it gets, even more so than most of my previous cars.

Discuss.....
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
Re: FWD
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 10:26:51 pm »
wasnt great in the snow last year oli lets hope it doesnt bloody snow again  :laugh:

saying that i think the beemer drivers had a wors time of it going slide ways all over the shop!  :surprised:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:29:33 pm »
It does get pretty frusting in the winter with the icy and greasy roads! It can get seriously fun sliding round a motorway round about at 4 in the mining though!

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 10:36:15 pm »
I found a change back to FWD on my Edition 30 after 10 years of either RWD or 4WD was very, very frustrating .... more so when remapped in damp or wet conditions !

I have sold the Edition 30 (but really miss it) .... However, the change to RWD has brought the same issues. 

338bhp through the rear tyres of my BMW in the wet does exactly what the Edition 30 did .... it spins it away.  The difference .... it doesn't shake the car to death through the steering doing it .... so somehow feels something more 'acceptable'   :grin: 

Short of 4WD they will all spin power away.  The trouble is though that 4WD feels so sterile it is IMO a bit boring (and the reason I have sold 2 perfectly capable 4WD cars).

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:37:47 pm »
saying that i think the beemer drivers had a wors time of it going slide ways all over the shop!  :surprised:

That's what I bought mine for  :evilgrin:

Only joking  :wink:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:39:10 pm »
That's what I'm on about, but get it right, and it's pure class. I'm really enjoying the ED30, especially with it's current mods, just thinking bigger brakes up front would finish it off

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:40:49 pm »

That's what I bought mine for  :evilgrin:

Only joking  :wink:

My old mapped 335d used to go sideways round every roundabout, it was great fun, but boring - just point and squirt.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:42:34 pm »
its a bitch really. the car loves the cooler air! but getting the power down is just so tricky. really frustrates me, really makes me wonder if i should have gone for a fwd...  :sad1:

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:21 pm »
Exactly my point again.  In the past three years, 3 of my six cars have been 4wd; R32, S3 and RS4, all great cars, especially the RS, but also very easy in all condition to extract the best from. I am finding the ED30 a real challenge, due to the power/fwd/awesome chassis, but just do rewarding when it all comes together. The mods I have done have all enhanced the experience more so.  I have done 7000 miles in 4 months and it's usually around this time I get itchy feet, but not with the golf.

Don't get ne wrong if I hadn't just built a big extension on the house, had a third child and deciding that my wife is better off with the kids, than working, I'd have a Porsche 993 and something sensible to ferry the clan about. But at the moment I need one car to do it all, and the GTI is doing it all rather well, and in my humble opinion, can't be beaten bang for buck! 

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 11:08:30 pm »
I love FWD. Maybe it isn't the purists choice, but I don't care.

Should be even better when I get the car back with the Quaife fitted :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:12:23 pm »
Don't say things like that, it'll be next on my shopping list!

And your right, it's not the purists choice but I just love hot hatches, and I've had a few. Tried to get faster, bigger cars but just keep coming back!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:51:58 am »
I have a remapped diesel which is a right pain in the wet. Getting some heat in the tyres helps, but they are breaking away constantly at the moment. I've been experimenting with tyres pressues which has helped a bit but wet roads, cold rubber and a load of torque do not go well together.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »
My first winter with the full stg2+and i'm getting frustrated and annoyed easily.
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:56:03 pm »
My first winter with the full stg2+and i'm getting frustrated and annoyed easily.

me too, the car feels so slow till you hit higher rpms in 4th. Being progressive on the accelerTor stops the wheel spin but it's slow. Once up to speed you can have a bit of fun, but who here will really push on in the wet on a uncontrollable environment ie the public roads

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »

me too, the car feels so slow till you hit higher rpms in 4th. Being progressive on the accelerTor stops the wheel spin but it's slow. Once up to speed you can have a bit of fun, but who here will really push on in the wet on a uncontrollable environment ie the public roads

why does your car feel more sluggish until higher RPMs in this weather. shouldnt it be the opposite in this weather with colder ambient temps, or do you mean you cant put the power on early?