Make a donation

Author Topic: Test Drive  (Read 8055 times)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Test Drive
« on: May 16, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »
Sooo despite having had a DSG R on order since early March, I've only actually driven a manual R   :laugh:

Popped down to my local dealer today (not where I ordered from), and they had one in the same spec that I've ordered (colour, doors, wheels, gearbox and no DCC). Perfect.

Salesman let me take it for a blast down the bypass and even let me try launch control  :driver:

Have to say - ITS EPIC  :jumping: the DSG is flawless, and so intuitive. Much better than I thought. theres minimal body roll, and the ride quality with the 19s (no fancy adjustable shocks on this one) was perfect. It's certainly fast - I wouldn't be in a rush to map it. . .

Launch control was a hoot  :grin: actually can't believe the salesman let me try it.

Roll on August / September. . .

Definetly recommend anyone who hasn't driven one to give it a go :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2cg72629gtp42oie5eql39lmq1&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:38:36 pm »
I wouldn't be in a rush to map it. . .

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah right!  :wink:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 03:40:55 pm »
I'll give it at least 6 months as stock  :signLOL:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:08:13 pm »
I'll give it at least 6 DAYs as stock  :signLOL:

Fixed that for you.  :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:36:12 am »
I'll give it at least 6 DAYs as stock  :signLOL:

Fixed that for you.  :laugh:

Maybe a go in Statller's project 7R is a good idea John?  :drool:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:26:27 pm »
I'm about to get behind the wheel of a DSG equipped car and I can tell I'm getting too old already as I'm more excited (at times) by the prospect of being able to be lazy about my driving and let the car do the work for me. Is that bad at 26 years old?

On saying that, as much as I tell myself I'll be keeping it pretty much stock, it'd be rude not to get at least a Revo Stage 1 DSG+ECU map to help smooth out the power and sharpen the gear changes on "lets have fun mode" as I currently call it. :smiley:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 9
  • 2008 Edition 30 DSG - No.1706
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89470.msg905534.html#msg905534
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:34:49 pm »

I'm about to get behind the wheel of a DSG equipped car and I can tell I'm getting too old already as I'm more excited (at times) by the prospect of being able to be lazy about my driving and let the car do the work for me. Is that bad at 26 years old?

On saying that, as much as I tell myself I'll be keeping it pretty much stock, it'd be rude not to get at least a Revo Stage 1 DSG+ECU map to help smooth out the power and sharpen the gear changes on "lets have fun mode" as I currently call it. :smiley:

No mate, I've got a dsg ed30 for the weekend and a dsg leon fr for work. And I'm 25!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mods coming soon...

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 08:22:41 am »
This comforts me, so thank you.

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 11:55:17 am »
Hate to be a party pooper but thought it'd be best to get it out there with MK7's in general. If you do map it when in warranty and you have an issue my guy in VW has said an error code will show on scans. This code can only be deleted when the car is linked to the factory systems so it is very easy to prove the car is mapped and refuse a warranty claim. Figure it's worth knowing if your going to lease the car - the end penalties could be a shocker.
I think he said it comes up as a TRD error? The chap does all the warranty claims at the dealer next door to me so I have no reason to doubt him.
Worth knowing I think

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 12:28:11 pm »
Not surprised that this is the case. A work mate of mine recently bought a Mini Cooper and because of the way BMW has locked down the ECU, it has to be removed for mapping! Manufacturers are increasingly trying to lock down ways of tuning cars it seems... Sad times.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:45:33 pm »
Hate to be a party pooper but thought it'd be best to get it out there with MK7's in general. If you do map it when in warranty and you have an issue my guy in VW has said an error code will show on scans. This code can only be deleted when the car is linked to the factory systems so it is very easy to prove the car is mapped and refuse a warranty claim. Figure it's worth knowing if your going to lease the car - the end penalties could be a shocker.
I think he said it comes up as a TRD error? The chap does all the warranty claims at the dealer next door to me so I have no reason to doubt him.
Worth knowing I think

There are still mixed messages on this subject.

Few guys have had their car flashed completely back to stock and flash counter put back for warranty work, and had no issues. Its the TD1 flag that people are worried about, which some tuners claim they can remove. . .

TBH though if you plan to tune your car, accept that you will lose your warranty  :happy2:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:50:21 pm »

Your test driving a DSG R?

Its a great car, even in standard form. Chassis is fantastic also - doesnt need any handling improvements at all.

The DSG mated with haldex is epic. Even though i love using a manual gearbox, the thought that it really holds back the real potential of the drivetrain was enough to convince me to go DSG (and the amount of traffic jams these days  :sick:)

Really recommend everyone has a go in one of these  :happy2:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 01:11:04 pm »
Not surprised that this is the case. A work mate of mine recently bought a Mini Cooper and because of the way BMW has locked down the ECU, it has to be removed for mapping! Manufacturers are increasingly trying to lock down ways of tuning cars it seems... Sad times.
I don't think it's to stop tuning cars more of ways to prove the car has been modified/improved so that refused warranty claims can be easily defended if it came down to it. The hoops manufacturers make us go through to claim anything on warranty is ludicrous as it is and this will be an easy no for them.

Like its been said, if you modify your car you should accept that the warranty is probably void.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »
I'll be honest, if I'd just forked out for a mk7 GTI or R and the turbo went, I wouldn't trust a VW item and probably just happily get a stage 3 kit or something for the cost of it as chances are, being a fresh car, some companies will be looking for development cars to use so cheap/free parts is always a winner!