• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
GTE
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:11:23 am »
Just booked a test drive

Word on the street is........It's frikkin AWESOME!!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: GTE
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:08:03 pm »
My local dealer has one. Looks great, and in principal it sounds fantastic  :jumpmove:

Make sure you report back @Biano44  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:54 pm »
Saw this last year at the Gadget show, now I have moved to Cornwall and the local VW dealer is not getting one till later in the year. Make sure you keep us up to date on the test drive.

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:25:56 pm »
Well.........

First thing is, don't think of this as a GTi. A GTi it is not!!

But it is Very, Very impressive!

I would think of it more of a GT with an extra electrical shove!
We only went on a 30mile drive, some spirited driving, some of it pootling around town, some on a duel carriageway but all of it fun.
The car has some really interesting features like the charging socket behind the VW badge at the front, which itself has a blue highlight

I liked the blue brake calipers

I liked the Jacara cloth interior

I adore the LED DRL and the LED headlights

And the way the blue line runs through the middle

The stance is all wrong though

Especially when you know how good it could look.............

But this car is about new technology and the car has lots. The systems work really well with the DSG. All the hybrids I have spent time in have had the wanky CVT gearbox which I detest.
It's amazing how quickly you get used to the silence of no engine, it becomes normal so quickly. The dials are different, the rev counter becomes some sort of power meter, the temp gauge becomes the rev counter and there are new warning lights to learn.
Other than that it's "just" a Golf. To anyone who hasn't tried a mk7, I implore that you do as it's night/day different to the previous incarnations.

Power wise, in E-mode (motor) it has immediate power but this quickly tales off. In GTE (engine & Motor) mode it's more like the 150ps diesel I would say. It's good, it's quick but it's no GTi!

The GTi can't do this though......

BOOM

One thing though, In a basic spec with a few needed options, it's expensive at £36000+. At that MPG though, using it as a company car I would make over £6 for every gallon used. That would completely offset the extra cost for me.

On the whole, I loved it. I'm a gadget man, a nerd, a geek, the car even has an app to check levels, range, start/finish charging or turn on the aircon/heating.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:43:00 pm by Biano44 »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:25:43 pm »

Great mini review.  :) Just add a pinch more style like you say....

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:40 am »
Those figures are impressive, only thing I will ask is have VW published anything on how much it will cost on average to charge the electrical side of it?

Obviously based on the MPG it could offset the additional cost, unless you electric bill goes through the roof!

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:15 pm »
Well it's an 8.8kw battery and its 15p on average in the UK per kWh so my simple maths suggests £1.32 per charge. I guess that means your electric will go up by £30 a month.
£1.32 is a little over a litre. 12 miles on electric per day and your even I guess.

dansmith180

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 10:03:23 pm »
Whats the deal with replacing the battery though? They normally have a 5-10 year lifespan depending on how you use/ take care of them and are ££££'s to replace from what ive heard.

Looks like a great car though and probably a really good lease car since you only have your monthly payment, tiny fuel bill and no hasstle.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:21:24 pm »
What's most interesting about the GTE is it's the first real "hot e-hatch" on the market. It's rather scary how quickly hybrid technology is taking off in the motor world but I would bet that this will be more and more common in the new few generations of all hot hatches that come onto the market. I for one am a massive fan of it, as if it's "alright" to start with, how good will it be once they collect all the data from this generation, work out how to reduce production costs and further improve battery life span and charge?

Mark my words, the GTE is the future for the GTI. I would bet that in 10 years there won't be two models, only the hybrid GTI. :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:51:51 pm »
Well it's an 8.8kw battery and its 15p on average in the UK per kWh so my simple maths suggests £1.32 per charge. I guess that means your electric will go up by £30 a month.
£1.32 is a little over a litre. 12 miles on electric per day and your even I guess.

Sounds impressive, should work out much cheaper if you're doing relatively high milage.

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 02:43:48 pm »
Update.
This must be considered when purchasing a GTE!
The salesman took the car to Manchester (from Loughborough) yesterday and returned this morning.
He left with a full charge, charged it on the way but not while there and not on the return journey.
This is the result.........

Offline grant845

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »
Would've been better mpg in a real GTI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:22 pm »
He has probably hammered it, I could have beaten that MPG in my Ed30 without even trying. GTE can definetly do much better than that
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
If you drive a hybrid according to the guidelines, they do more than that but this isn't the first case of hybrid technology under performing against the suggested economy figures pushed out to the presses. Take the BMW i8 as another example.

Still, I'm sure people never though metal boxes that contain flammable liquids and rely on explosions to work would take off and that the horse would always be the way of moving around the country...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 08:25:35 pm »
He took it steady on the way up, came back early this morning, above legal limits but I still feel that this is a better representation of real world figures. If you just drove round town and had plenty of charge you would get much better mpg. But driving from city to city as I often do for work without chargingwill result in low mpg.