Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 228099 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #375 on: December 15, 2012, 04:19:02 pm »

Forge had the car in 2010 to test the Twintake / TwinCooler on my car. They decided to use a hard pipe with 90 degree bend as opposed to earlier versions using a 90 degree silicone pipe.

....Hmm, perhaps I should upgrade to a hard pipe. I'm surprised that a hard pipe would make any significant difference over the silicone.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #376 on: December 15, 2012, 05:31:18 pm »
The hardpipe is for Leon fitment, and to be honest i would rather have some siliconehose in my turbo than aluminium pieces RR  :wink:  :laugh:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »

Forge had the car in 2010 to test the Twintake / TwinCooler on my car. They decided to use a hard pipe with 90 degree bend as opposed to earlier versions using a 90 degree silicone pipe.

....Hmm, perhaps I should upgrade to a hard pipe. I'm surprised that a hard pipe would make any significant difference over the silicone.

It will make no performance difference.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2012, 06:14:46 pm »

It will make no performance difference.

....That's what I thought too  :happy2:

The hardpipe is for Leon fitment, and to be honest i would rather have some siliconehose in my turbo than aluminium pieces RR  :wink:  :laugh:

....Exactly! Also, the silicone has a tad more tolerance to movement  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:14 pm »
had the forge twin take on my R for a few weeks , cant fault it . Good bhp gains sounds good but not loud , fitted pretty good but i did move the hose clip round so it didnt rud like the one one here

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2013, 11:50:05 pm »
Hi Folks, sorry to resurrect this thread but does anybody know if it's difficult or not to clean the Twintake filters? In other words, is it a skilled job to screw off the clamps and take the filter housing off, or is there more to it?? Nick @ R Tech kindly did this, and then merely tapped the ground once the filter was off to get rid of the dust, etc, but typical me,  i paid little or no attention!!  :confused:

Many thanks

Andrew

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2013, 12:22:01 am »
Having seen them up close, it looks like the jubilee clips can be done with a flathead screwdriver and then you pull off the canisters. Each one has screws - just undo one end and take out the filter. I'm sure there's a guide from Forge floating around somewhere.

The question is how do you clean the filter? That's what I like about OEM - just switch the filter panel. Once you get the engine cover off.  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2013, 01:17:25 am »
Cheers. From doing a bit of reading, a light blowing on the filter itself usually suffices, but as I said, Nick at R Tech just tapped it on the ground and sure enough there was quite a bit of dust! On the side one however there was hardly anything, so read into that what you will, lol! My biggest fear I guess is not being able to connect it all up again! :-S

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2013, 08:35:05 am »
Cheers. From doing a bit of reading, a light blowing on the filter itself usually suffices, but as I said, Nick at R Tech just tapped it on the ground and sure enough there was quite a bit of dust! On the side one however there was hardly anything, so read into that what you will, lol! My biggest fear I guess is not being able to connect it all up again! :-S

You are supposed to wash the filters in some soapy water, rinse thoroughly with clean water then allow to dry before reinstalling them.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Bryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #384 on: February 26, 2013, 06:00:24 pm »

My silicone pipe has been rubbing on a clip underneath an is starting to wear, i have adjusted it a few times but still rubs eventually....think i will swap it out for this hard pipe.
Contact forge directly i supose??
Forge Twintake. BCSautomotive turbo back exhaust with sports cat. Stage 2 remap. R32 rear lights and bumper. Team heko wind deflectors. mtec bulbs. Ed30 bbs wheels.  Eibach springs. Goodyear Eagle F1 asy2s. NQSBBK(330mm)

twainf

« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2013, 03:10:58 pm »
Some serious reading in this thread about the twintake.  Just about to order one myself. 

Offline horice

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
Great review RedRobin, and thanks for the heads up on the hose clips Chungster!

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »
Just taken my TWINtake of and sold it, found this which was rubbing out of sight somewhere, not right through though.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2013, 12:43:39 am »

Just taken my TWINtake of and sold it, found this which was rubbing out of sight somewhere, not right through though.

....So that appears to be against rubber piping on the engine side and is hidden from view by the front mounted filter cannister.

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2013, 10:04:39 pm »
did notice the potential for this rubbing issue when installing my twintake and spent ages trying to adjust it out,  i never had an issue with it but the car was sold a few month later so i guess the above is the outcome.
was still a great bit of kit though  :happy2:
Still Here!