Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229099 times)

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:09 am »
Robin now you have driven a fair few miles with the twintake strapped on whats your verdict?

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2010, 12:55:36 pm »

Robin now you have driven a fair few miles with the twintake strapped on whats your verdict?

....I'm very happy indeed with it. It suits my requirements from an intake very well.

- It's been in and out 3 times and fits perfectly every time.

- It's still very solidly fixed but not so rigid it could easily suffer breakages. However, it should be noted that I have aftermarket engine mounts (VWR 'Fast Road') and this greatly reduces engine movement.

- When cruising at constantly held throttle it's quiet but the sound is enjoyably exciting on any sudden throttle change but without being raucous or harsh. Sound is of course very subjective - Some people would want more noise and others less.

- The performance gain of around 15 bhp on my K03 is obviously noticeable. My car seems to have more punch in the mid-range and I felt it strongly at Santa Pod once I had grip and was on the last eighth mile. I could have kept on going well over 100 mph.

I haven't found anything to fault it so far.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »
robin, so when you fit the cover will the bonnet shut ok? i noticed the intake as you said on sunday is very big and rubbing on the bonnet...  :confused:

i would have liked the forge or the evoms but would sway towards the ITG i think. although saying that i cant afford any of those so im getting a BSH trueseal instead!  :chicken:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »

robin, so when you fit the cover will the bonnet shut ok? i noticed the intake as you said on sunday is very big and rubbing on the bonnet...  :confused:

....I'm a bit confused by your question, Nick. I don't experience any rubbing on mine and I don't know of any cars where the Twintake rubs the bonnet, either here in the UK or the US.

That includes cars which have a steel bonnet plus thick lining, unlike mine.

On Sunday my bonnet was playing up because the catch mechanism had become interfered with by salt etc from the wintery conditions. Since being lubed it's now better than ever, thanks to the generosity of the guy with the lube.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:22:56 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2010, 10:52:32 pm »
robin, so when you fit the cover will the bonnet shut ok? i noticed the intake as you said on sunday is very big and rubbing on the bonnet...  :confused:

i would have liked the forge or the evoms but would sway towards the ITG i think. although saying that i cant afford any of those so im getting a BSH trueseal instead!  :chicken:

The BSH is a good intake so there is nothing to worry about. The performance is great as well, I've seen up to a 15g/s improvement over the stock engine cover at stage 1. There are some quirks with the dv port you need to be aware of for the installation as it sits extreamly close to the break fluid reservoir and the diameter is the incorrect size for the oem dv setup. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:15:06 am by KRL »

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
sorry robin, i thought you said you had rubbing and problems closing the bonnet because of the fitment of it, must have got the wrong end of the stick maybe when you were resting the evoms cover on there or something.

thanks for the heads up KRL, might have to ask you for some help when it comes!  :laugh:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:56 am »

Confirmation from Forge UK about installing the filters in the correct orientation - Quoted from their PDF installation guide : -

"NOTE: During installation, the filter canisters should be oriented in the reverse to ‘normal’ i.e. the open end of the filter is attached to the respective inlet duct and the pointed end of the filter is attached to the pipework. This is the recommendation from the filter manufacturers themselves, and supposedly aids flow through the canister."

There had been some debate about this from Forge's representatives in USA but this is now settled as the guide states.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:24:52 am by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2010, 04:57:56 pm »
PERFORMANCE UPDATE:

On the same rolling-road at JKM a couple of months later which obviously has given plenty of time for the ECU to settle etc - A healthy further increase in power and especially torque. Nice curves as usual and testament to JKM choosing the right Revo settings:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2010, 05:05:23 pm »
Great to see your car performing so well Robin :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2010, 05:06:23 pm »
Healthy Torque curve Robin. Getting Broader   :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2010, 05:14:43 pm »
V healthy figures!!!

Do you have a fuel pump Robin? You don't IIRC. Also, are you getting fuel cuts, or have JKM altered your settings and turned them down since fitting the Twintake?
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2010, 05:32:08 pm »
V healthy figures!!!

Do you have a fuel pump Robin? You don't IIRC. Also, are you getting fuel cuts, or have JKM altered your settings and turned them down since fitting the Twintake?

....Stock fuel pump and I think JKM revised the Fuelling one notch rather than the Boost but I don't remember exactly. All I know and care about is that she's well balanced, driveable, and runs well.

Methinks I gotta keep that torque at the levels it is as I don't want the DSG box of tricks to start throwing its toys out the pram. We knew that the torque wasn't going to plot its true potential on the initial dyno runs.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2010, 05:38:39 pm »
i know of one or 2 dsg boxes gone pop  :surprised:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »
V healthy figures!!!

....Stock fuel pump and I think JKM revised the Fuelling one notch rather than the Boost but I don't remember exactly. All I know and care about is that she's well balanced, driveable, and runs well.

Methinks I gotta keep that torque at the levels it is as I don't want the DSG box of tricks to start throwing its toys out the pram. We knew that the torque wasn't going to plot its true potential on the initial dyno runs.

Cheers Robin, I was more thinking along the lines of fuel cuts from the strong flow from the Twintake!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2010, 06:15:30 pm »

Cheers Robin, I was more thinking along the lines of fuel cuts from the strong flow from the Twintake!

....Yes, my understanding is that an increase in air from the Twintake could potentially increase the possibility of fuel cuts but there's not even a hint of such problems under any driving conditions. I'm pretty sure it was the Fuelling which JKM changed and I think they did it as a precautionary measure rather than to solve any problem they were seeing.

My Air-Fuel-Ratio plot yesterday was spot on: A flat run all the way across the range.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:17:31 pm by RedRobin »