Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229126 times)

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2010, 11:38:04 am »
I'm hoping replacement of the filters , as with a few miles on them , they cant just be turned around ......
Nice work on getting to the bottom of this RR  :happy2:
guess the filter manufacturer should really add some markings to the filters to avoid the issue
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2010, 12:49:50 pm »

I'm hoping replacement of the filters , as with a few miles on them , they cant just be turned around ......
Nice work on getting to the bottom of this RR  :happy2:
guess the filter manufacturer should really add some markings to the filters to avoid the issue

....It's not official yet but Forge are thinking of charging for a new pair of filters (with carbonfibre casings, I assume) and then giving a complete refund when they receive your old filters. I'll keep y'all posted - I'm waiting for an email from them.

The markings are already there in the form of the arrows. The problem was interpretation - Even Forge USA and Forge UK were not in agreement before now.

^ This arrow is meant to indicate air going IN towards the MAF. I don't/didn't see it that way myself and neither did Forge UK originally  :rolleye:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2010, 07:24:54 pm »

The markings are already there in the form of the arrows. The problem was interpretation - Even Forge USA and Forge UK were not in agreement before now.

^ This arrow is meant to indicate air going IN towards the MAF. I don't/didn't see it that way myself and neither did Forge UK originally  :rolleye:

Hmm, ok so how are we supposed to interpret the arrows on the other side of the cannister?   :confused:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »
Carnt believe this is still going on, how hard can it be to put a filter on the right way round. It does look rather comical and amatuerish of Forge to say they know this stuff inside and out......well supposed to :rolleye:.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2010, 10:41:53 am »
^^^^
I agree - Forge have made a right cock-up of this and furthermore have taken far too long to sort the matter out with some definitive answers. However, it's still (in my opinion) an excellent product.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2010, 04:54:17 pm »
Yep excellent product, wonder how much this is gonna cost them considering how many they've sold and how many filters need replacing :scared:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2010, 04:59:01 pm »
they will have liability insurance to cover that no doubt

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »
Is anyone running a TwinTake on a standard car with no mods at all?
This part of the review concerns me a little as i want to install the twintake but don’t want to encounter any fuel cuts or confuse the ECU

THE KNOCK-ON EFFECT:

As you increase the efficiency of your air intake you may reach a point where the AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio) causes running problems which the ECU then protects the engine from by applying fuel cuts. But whilst driving on the road midst an overtake, this doesn't protect you!. The expensive solution is to have an aftermarket fuel pump and appropriate remap for it. The easier way is to reduce your Boost setting but this is probably only possible on Revo software which enables fine tuning Boost/Timing/Fuelling by either the user or agent - An extremely useful feature on any modified car. As it turned out, with JKM's expertise we were able to keep the Boost at 7 but reduced the Fuelling from 9 to 8.

Or does the above relate more to a mapped car?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2010, 04:45:17 pm »

Is anyone running a TwinTake on a standard car with no mods at all?
This part of the review concerns me a little as i want to install the twintake but don’t want to encounter any fuel cuts or confuse the ECU

THE KNOCK-ON EFFECT:

As you increase the efficiency of your air intake you may reach a point where the AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio) causes running problems which the ECU then protects the engine from by applying fuel cuts. But whilst driving on the road midst an overtake, this doesn't protect you!. The expensive solution is to have an aftermarket fuel pump and appropriate remap for it. The easier way is to reduce your Boost setting but this is probably only possible on Revo software which enables fine tuning Boost/Timing/Fuelling by either the user or agent - An extremely useful feature on any modified car. As it turned out, with JKM's expertise we were able to keep the Boost at 7 but reduced the Fuelling from 9 to 8.

Or does the above relate more to a mapped car?

....As I understand it, the ECU however it's mapped (standard or aftermarket) will automatically make adjustments to best cater for the demands it is subjected to. I now (today) know that Forge fitted a Twintake to a completely standard Leon Cupra without any subsequent problems. Perhaps I should modify my review accordingly.

My individual car will have needed fuelling adjustment due to being Revo Stage 2 and having other engine performance modifications.

HTH  :happy2:

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:54 pm »
Brilliant i was hoping you would reply Robin, ah that makes a bit more sense then that the ECU is adaptive and will "learn" again with the extra amount of air being forced in.

Thanks robin!  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2010, 05:26:42 pm »

ah that makes a bit more sense then that the ECU is adaptive and will "learn" again with the extra amount of air being forced in.

....I think that it's the Revo Stage2 instructions via the ECU which will be making the demands which then necessitate the fuelling being catered for.

Revo Stage2+ definitely needs an aftermarket fuel pump according to most reports. I'm happy to stay at Revo2.

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:28 am »
Hey Red

Did you ever get a reply from Forge about the fitting instructions regarding with the twintake?

still running well with yours mate?
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Taking a sabatical from cars
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:31 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2010, 02:27:42 pm »
surely any arrow would be pointing in the direction of the air flow. 

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »
surely any arrow would be pointing in the direction of the air flow. 

Minds fine now...and i have marked which way it should be on my car however mine was not installed correctly well according to the forge manual but this awhile ago now and it was a test product too. but yea over all its working fine.
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04