Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229086 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »
Hey Red

Did you ever get a reply from Forge about the fitting instructions regarding with the twintake?

still running well with yours mate?

....Hey  :happy2:

Prompted by your post, I've just been speaking to Forge (again!) and apparently the downloadable instructions pdf has been updated.

I several days ago updated/revised my original post in this thread (under "Installation") with both cutaway filter illustration and text.

I'm now waiting for Forge to update everyone concerned who has filters the 'wrong' way around. I want official words either posted directly by Forge UK (HQ) or that I can quote exactly. I keep receiving PM's on the subject too!

I am reassured by Forge by email and in conversation that no harm will come from 'incorrect' filter orientation and no known loss of performance either. I can quote those words if it helps.

Mine's working fine too  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2010, 03:22:55 pm »
I was getting issues with mine but yea all done and dusted :) let me know when you go stage2+ matey

I'll take alook at the instructions..the one i downloaded had the twintake wrapped.
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2010, 04:22:46 pm »

let me know when you go stage2+ matey

....If you're talking to me, I have no intentions of going stage2+. Stage2 is enough for me - I see no point in pushing the performance envelope further as she's a keeper (at least until a RS3 Sportback with S-tronic comes out, and then only subject to..). I like the driveability I've got now.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Taking a sabatical from cars
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2010, 09:18:53 pm »
Looked at mine today. The cone that goes to the side panel has the open end with the largest surface area nearest the slam panel......is that right?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 09:56:51 am »

Looked at mine today. The cone that goes to the side panel has the open end with the largest surface area nearest the slam panel......is that right?

^ Does this help? The arrows show the direction of air taken in from outside the car and towards the MAF.

Both of the two filters should be orientated the same way.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:29:34 pm by RedRobin »

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »
This is the pic i pulled from the instructions today, so i hope this is the right orientation

I did the same at the front slam panel also, is that how you have yours RR?

For a £350ish product this kind of takes the pi$$ for something that should be simple, I know either orientation wont cause any harm, lack of performance but still its pretty slack!

Not sure on mine at the moment, love the noise on full chat but when in D mode im not keen on the initial noise either, sounds strange, maybe iv got a loose connection or something, hard to describe the noise but it kind of sounds metallic for a brief moment then goes into suction mode!! Im guessing that isnt right??

Offline Blade

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Taking a sabatical from cars
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2010, 12:33:15 pm »
This is the pic i pulled from the instructions today, so i hope this is the right orientation

For a £350ish product this kind of takes the pi$$ for something that should be simple, I know either orientation wont cause any harm, lack of performance but still its pretty slack!

Not sure on mine at the moment, love the noise on full chat but when in D mode im not keen on the initial noise either, sounds strange, maybe iv got a loose connection or something, hard to describe the noise but it kind of sounds metallic for a brief moment then goes into suction mode!! Im guessing that isnt right??

Thats how mine is prepree but its the wrong way round according to the diagram above?????

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:10 pm »
I think your pic shows the "corrected" new orientation.   :confused:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2010, 01:27:29 pm »
On the above picture, How do you fit the second air intake metal part to the part of the car above the headlight? I have taken out the screws, but am unsure where to go from here, It looks a bit squashed to push it in between the metal and the plastic top part. (hope that makes sense)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:42 pm »
On the above picture, How do you fit the second air intake metal part to the part of the car above the headlight? I have taken out the screws, but am unsure where to go from here, It looks a bit squashed to push it in between the metal and the plastic top part. (hope that makes sense)

....I got your PM, Al, sorry I haven't been around to answer.

JKM fitted mine but I was there. It's a tight but not difficult fit.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2010, 02:41:10 pm »

....Yep, that's what Forge are now unanimously agreeing as the 'correct' filter orientation.

I too am pissed off with Forge - They told me they were sorting out what was going to happen about those of us who followed their original UK instructions and consequently have the 'incorrect' orientation. All they have done is assure me it doesn't matter but no official statement has been made on the forums as promised. I've lost faith in Forge's efficiency as a company - Typically fecking useless English! I haven't lost faith in their products. I'm getting sick of being asked questions by people which they should be answering, or at the very least they should give me something in writing which I can quote.

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #131 on: September 24, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »

....Yep, that's what Forge are now unanimously agreeing as the 'correct' filter orientation.

I too am pissed off with Forge - They told me they were sorting out what was going to happen about those of us who followed their original UK instructions and consequently have the 'incorrect' orientation. All they have done is assure me it doesn't matter but no official statement has been made on the forums as promised. I've lost faith in Forge's efficiency as a company - Typically fecking useless English! I haven't lost faith in their products. I'm getting sick of being asked questions by people which they should be answering, or at the very least they should give me something in writing which I can quote.

Thanks for your reply Robin, yes i totally agree with what you say, especially as after spending countless hours on various forums there was never anything 100% conculusive which is shocking when you consider A, the price B the simplicity of something that should NEVER have been an issue, to say the orientation doesnt matter is a bit of a cop out in my eyes.

I can certainly say your review and posts across the pond will have help loads of people with this though.

Offline Forge UK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2010, 11:02:39 am »
We apologise for our lack of reply on the forum, which could make us come across as unprofessional, but we have been working hard on this behind the scenes. We will make sure this lack of communication doesn’t happen again. We agree that it seems to be a simple thing to get right, but the filter is the only part of the kit that Forge doesn’t make, and having used the BMC CDA filters before (which definitely DO fit in the ‘reverse’ orientation) we fitted our carbon canisters in the reverse orientation too. Our US office had not used BMC filters before and so fitted them in accordance with how you perceive the filter would be fitted if it weren’t boxed in i.e. with the wide end attached to the inlet pipework. It’s only in the last month that we’ve received the flow diagram from the filter manufacturers and acted upon it.

We’ve conducted many hours of testing on all of the cars that feature our twintakes, and have tried with the filters in both directions, and seen negligible difference in power or power delivery. Of course, the filtration remains unaffected by orientation. If any customer perceives that they have an issue then they should contact us at info@forgemotorsport.co.uk

We can only apologise for any misunderstanding that we may have caused.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2010, 11:13:03 am »
^^^^
@ Forge UK:

Ah! Thankyou!  :drinking:

Thanks for officially allaying people's concerns  :happy2:.

It is a great product in my considered opinion and continues to be reliable and to give me aural pleasure as well as smooooth performance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:14:55 am by RedRobin »

Offline RagingKileak

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:55 pm »
I think....

I'll be getting the Forge Twintercooler and an ITG Maxogen kit shortly!! ;)

Matt