Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229061 times)

Offline Ross_46

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2010, 12:26:35 pm »
quietist? i had mine fitted yesterday and its pretty loud. at the risk of sounding like a rite pansy does it get quieter or change note after its bedded in abit as ive only done 100 miles with it atm :chicken:

57 Plate, Black, Monza 18's, Ipod armrest, Cruise, Revision D DV, Forge Twintake, Milltek non res, Revo Stage 1

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »
When I first heard one on neilM's ed30 I Defo didn't think it was quiet at all! It was bloody loud IMO but made a sound I rather liked.

Wouldn't mind having one fitted actually.

Offline Ross_46

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2010, 02:07:50 pm »
When I first heard one on neilM's ed30 I Defo didn't think it was quiet at all! It was bloody loud IMO but made a sound I rather liked.

Wouldn't mind having one fitted actually.

well it might be for sale soon with barley no use at all. i'll let you know

57 Plate, Black, Monza 18's, Ipod armrest, Cruise, Revision D DV, Forge Twintake, Milltek non res, Revo Stage 1

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2010, 02:18:33 pm »
it might get quieter after some use...wiv the filters getting some crap on it.

but otherwise tis a shame u dont like the sound it makes.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »

quietist? i had mine fitted yesterday and its pretty loud. at the risk of sounding like a rite pansy does it get quieter or change note after its bedded in abit as ive only done 100 miles with it atm :chicken:

....I've just answered your PM but for everyone else's benefit here is my PM reply:

"Hi Ross,

No I haven't found any noticeable change in the sound my Twintake makes over mileage - I'm not sure offhand how many thousand miles I've done with it - 2 or 3k?

You'll find that most aftermarket 'lollipop-on-a-stick' filters will be much noisier than oem flat panel types and even more noisy when the filter isn't enclosed like Evoms, ITG Maxogen etc. Noise will vary slightly from car to car but basically the pipe works as an amplifier. I like the sound of my Twintake but it's totally down to personal preferences and there's no right or wrong.

How quickly/suddenly you lift your foot off the accelerator will effect the sounds.

HTH  :smiley:  Robin"

I wonder if wrapping the pipe in soundproofing material would help, but it's unlikely to look very nice and that stuff is always heavy weight.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Ross_46

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »
hey thanks for the info. I do like the sound of the twintake and i have to say its a fantastic very well made system and also i have always been a fan of abit of engine/mechanical noise as it adds feel. But also as using the car as a daily driver i think its just a touch on the loud side, though having said that the new non res system i had put on at the same time sounds great. I think i'll give it to the end of the week to see if it grows on me then make my mind up then. sound proofing is anoption but like you say would be a shame to ruin the look of it. maybe even though it may not provide the best power gains maybe something abit more subtle like a carbonio or vwr filter might do the job. And if i do decide to sell i'll pop it up on the for sale section so someone can grab themselves a lets face it brand new twintake for quite abit cheaper :drinking:

Offline coullstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2010, 11:09:59 pm »
Dont see how its going to get quiter at all. 

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2010, 08:13:39 am »
hey thanks for the info. I do like the sound of the twintake and i have to say its a fantastic very well made system and also i have always been a fan of abit of engine/mechanical noise as it adds feel. But also as using the car as a daily driver i think its just a touch on the loud side, though having said that the new non res system i had put on at the same time sounds great. I think i'll give it to the end of the week to see if it grows on me then make my mind up then. sound proofing is anoption but like you say would be a shame to ruin the look of it. maybe even though it may not provide the best power gains maybe something abit more subtle like a carbonio or vwr filter might do the job. And if i do decide to sell i'll pop it up on the for sale section so someone can grab themselves a lets face it brand new twintake for quite abit cheaper :drinking:

Any updates Ross? If your selling, I'm buying!  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2010, 11:51:14 am »
Probably said earlier in this thread but intakes don't become quieter over time in my experience and I've never heard anyone else report so. It may be that as you get used to any sound your brain takes it for granted (as long as it remains as it should sound) and switches off your awareness of it. When you first introduce any mod which you can hear, you will focus very intently on every nuance. It's like a new girlfriend! :laugh: - At first you are incredibly attentive.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Ross_46

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2010, 08:18:35 pm »
Probably said earlier in this thread but intakes don't become quieter over time in my experience and I've never heard anyone else report so. It may be that as you get used to any sound your brain takes it for granted (as long as it remains as it should sound) and switches off your awareness of it. When you first introduce any mod which you can hear, you will focus very intently on every nuance. It's like a new girlfriend! :laugh: - At first you are incredibly attentive.

couldnt put it any better myself robin!  :grin: along with using the right foot differently to have it quieter when i dont honestly want the noise and then plantin it and letting off when i do, my brain (if there is one) has begun to tune it out as i am used to it now and have begun to realy quite like it. it's amazing how different it sounds in cold conditions too . so to let others know i think i might hold onto it for a while now but when/if i decide to sell someone on here has already got first dibs (matsu) :happy2: but if that changes nthen it will go in the for sale section

Offline dan_gt

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2010, 11:06:50 am »
Is there still a waiting time for the twintakes?

I was last quoted 8 weeks!

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2010, 11:35:27 am »
No mate. Got mine within a few days recently from Larkspeed. Cheapest place that do them at £312 plus £10 delivery. Bargain  :happy2: :xmassmiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:02 am »

Not saying its quiet, but its the quietest of all the intakes i've heard, including, BSH, Evoms, ITG, Neuspeed etc all of which are open filter intakes.  which makes sense anyway.  Id actually go for the twintake next time around purely as i want a more stealth motor that doesnt shout about itself so much. 

i don't think Intakes get quieter with age, you just get used to the noise and no longer notice it. 

Offline Forge UK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2010, 12:03:29 pm »
NO wait .. we have them instock ...if you order on line and use discount code vag10 ..simply add this into the discount code box and we will apply the 10 % discount

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2010, 01:06:16 pm »
so how much is that fella?

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"