Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229109 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2012, 04:01:29 pm »

Smoothness is the key  :happy2: after all, us K03 boys aren't about chasing big figures  :grin:

I'll look forward to it - October would be better for the cold Autumn air  :wink:

....The air at the moment is particularly cold! Bright and sunny but cold = Perfect for enjoying driving turbo'd cars.

The Autumn date will depend on JKM's availability.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »
Hey Jussa  :smiley:

APR pump was fitted yesterday. It was free with a rather expensive Cam Follower  :grin:

New MAF needed and being fitted next week followed by logging and then dyno-day on 26th May. So a bit too soon to share any meaningful info.
Thanks Robin, just keep us updated  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Diplomat

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2012, 06:33:18 pm »
Great post OP.

So, if my car is stage 1 remapped and I put a non-OEM filter on (in line with that suggested by the OP) would I see another (approx) 15bhp+ or would I need to do other modifications?

Thanks in advance.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »

So, if my car is stage 1 remapped and I put a non-OEM filter on (in line with that suggested by the OP) would I see another (approx) 15bhp+ or would I need to do other modifications?

....Firstly just to clarify, I'm assuming you mean a non-OEM high flow tubular intake with filter and not a flat panel filter which drops in the OEM air box. I say this because a flat panel will not deliver substantial bhp gains regardless of remap. I have run an ITG flat panel filter on Revo Stage 1.

Regarding your question of 15 bhp+ or not, you don't say whether you are running a K03 or K04 turbo'd car - The K04 will probably deliver more.

A high flow performance exhaust such as a Milltek, BCS, APR, will make the difference to release the power too. Also, Stage 2 gives more than Stage 1. All I can confidently say from direct experience is that the combination of a remap Stage 2, performance exhaust, and Twintake, on a k03 car should deliver 15-20 bhp extra.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Diplomat

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2012, 07:53:57 pm »

....Firstly just to clarify, I'm assuming you mean a non-OEM high flow tubular intake with filter and not a flat panel filter which drops in the OEM air box. I say this because a flat panel will not deliver substantial bhp gains regardless of remap. I have run an ITG flat panel filter on Revo Stage 1.

Regarding your question of 15 bhp+ or not, you don't say whether you are running a K03 or K04 turbo'd car - The K04 will probably deliver more.

A high flow performance exhaust such as a Milltek, BCS, APR, will make the difference to release the power too. Also, Stage 2 gives more than Stage 1. All I can confidently say from direct experience is that the combination of a remap Stage 2, performance exhaust, and Twintake, on a k03 car should deliver 15-20 bhp extra.

Thanks Robin - apologies, when referring to non-OEM I was referring to the one you showed in your original post (the twin filter).

My car is a mk5 gti - all standard apart from stage 1 r-tech.

Sounds like I'd need a few more gubbins to extract the power .

Cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »
^^^^

If it's any help, I started off with just a Milltek exhaust and gained no more than 4 or 5 bhp. This remained the same when I added a flat panel filter. IIRC, I gained about 20-30 bhp when I remapped Revo Stage 1. Then about another 20 bhp from Stage 2 remap. But when I added the Forge Twintake I gained about 17 bhp further. I'm now running close to 270 bhp but needed an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump (APR) to handle it all better.

It's not difficult to make bigger bhp gains from a K03 car but I prefer driveability, good handling, and less stress for longevity.

Offline Diplomat

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
^^^^

If it's any help, I started off with just a Milltek exhaust and gained no more than 4 or 5 bhp. This remained the same when I added a flat panel filter. IIRC, I gained about 20-30 bhp when I remapped Revo Stage 1. Then about another 20 bhp from Stage 2 remap. But when I added the Forge Twintake I gained about 17 bhp further. I'm now running close to 270 bhp but needed an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump (APR) to handle it all better.

It's not difficult to make bigger bhp gains from a K03 car but I prefer driveability, good handling, and less stress for longevity.

That is helpful - thank you.

Also agree with your last sentance.

Type_R

« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:16 pm »
Just wanted to ask the peeps that have applied the Magma Shield tape on, how much I need to get to be able to cover the relevant tubing?

My Twintake should arrive this week sometime and then installation will begin :)

Type_R

« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »
And another question Robin please. Did you ever get an update from Forge as to the orientation of the filters?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2012, 04:59:03 pm »

Just wanted to ask the peeps that have applied the Magma Shield tape on, how much I need to get to be able to cover the relevant tubing?

....I can't help you on that question.

And another question Robin please. Did you ever get an update from Forge as to the orientation of the filters?

....Yes. I revised the original post accordingly and also posted with illustration earlier.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2012, 07:06:16 pm »
^^^^

Great review Robin - Rob at W8 has just got some Autotech pumps in from the USA - he might be able to do you a good deal  :happy2:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4202
Cheers
Nige

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #281 on: May 26, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »

I'm now running close to 270 bhp but needed an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump (APR) to handle it all better.

Great review Robin - Rob at W8 has just got some Autotech pumps in from the USA - he might be able to do you a good deal  :happy2:
Cheers
Nige

....Thanks for the kind thought but I wouldn't want an Autotech pump - Too many bad experiences reported - That's why I bought a brand new APR HPFP and have peace of mind.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: May 26, 2012, 10:06:34 pm »

I'm now running close to 270 bhp but needed an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump (APR) to handle it all better.

Cheers
Nige

....Thanks for the kind thought but I wouldn't want an Autotech pump - Too many bad experiences reported - That's why I bought a brand new APR HPFP and have peace of mind.

Hi Robin, how are u finding the APR, and what were your BHP gains?
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #283 on: May 26, 2012, 11:31:24 pm »

Hi Robin, how are u finding the APR, and what were your BHP gains?

....Air-Fuel plot on the dyno is much flatter and more even, as it should be. The power delivery feels smoother. I'll post the plots in the JKM Dyno-Day thread tomorrow.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:05:29 am by RedRobin »

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #284 on: June 14, 2012, 10:52:50 am »
Hi Robin, hope you're well, as you'll probably know, im getting a Twintake fitted at the weekend, can i just ask plse if the fact that there is no engine cover at that point, could it have a detrimental effect on the engine itself, like water flying up when you go through puddles, etc? I can see though that you do have a cover still on yours!!  :rolleye: