Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229102 times)

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2012, 12:16:11 pm »
It won't cause a problem in the short term, but many golfs have suffered a problem from water entering the ignition coils (even with standard engine covers in place) so running the car with a missing engine cover, could in theory, make this problem occur quicker - but every component 'under there' should have a degree of water-resistance... including electrical connectors etc
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »
cheers for that!! I guess it begs the question now as to how easy it is to modify the engine cover to fit when said Twintake is fitted!!??  :confused:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »
Someone's done a kind of guide on here (more a description of what they've done to their car). Basically involves chopping a few bits off.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #288 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »

Hi Robin, hope you're well, as you'll probably know, im getting a Twintake fitted at the weekend, can i just ask plse if the fact that there is no engine cover at that point, could it have a detrimental effect on the engine itself, like water flying up when you go through puddles, etc? I can see though that you do have a cover still on yours!!  :rolleye:

....Not having an engine cover isn't a high risk to the engine but water etc does get splashed through and so I think it's a better practice to have an engine cover. Race cars don't bother with a cover (or wheel arch liners and so on) but their engines are taken apart and so on far more often than on a road car.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #289 on: June 15, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »

Hi Robin, hope you're well, as you'll probably know, im getting a Twintake fitted at the weekend, can i just ask plse if the fact that there is no engine cover at that point, could it have a detrimental effect on the engine itself, like water flying up when you go through puddles, etc? I can see though that you do have a cover still on yours!!  :rolleye:

....Not having an engine cover isn't a high risk to the engine but water etc does get splashed through and so I think it's a better practice to have an engine cover. Race cars don't bother with a cover (or wheel arch liners and so on) but their engines are taken apart and so on far more often than on a road car.

A mechanic once told me that the only reason you run a modified cover when using a intake is to protect the coils, so theoretically so long as you keep them really well greased up then everything should be fine.

Type_R

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2012, 12:26:36 pm »
I fitted my Forge twin take air filters on Sunday last. The installation went well, except for removal of the clip at the turbo inlet pipe and the 24mm rubber screws for the heat shield to be installed. Driving around is so much nicer (partly because I did the fuel line mod at the same time - so no more rattles!), throttle response is much smoother and power delivery better! I am getting used to the noise, although initially I did feel it a little intrusive!

My mpg has gone up by at least 4-5 mpg which is an added bonus! The driving experience is so much nicer, I would definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of getting an upgraded air intake kit!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:57 pm »

Driving around is so much nicer (partly because I did the fuel line mod at the same time - so no more rattles!), throttle response is much smoother and power delivery better! I am getting used to the noise, although initially I did feel it a little intrusive!

....What's the fuel line mod, please?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Type_R

« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2012, 10:00:45 pm »
Sorry the fuel line rattle DIY as seen here:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18277

Offline blackmagic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »
Interesting maybe this is the source of my annoying metallic rattling sound I've had for a while. I'll have a look over weekend.

Black GTI K03 Revo Stage 2+,

Type_R

« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:08 am »
Interesting maybe this is the source of my annoying metallic rattling sound I've had for a while. I'll have a look over weekend.

The rattle initially sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the dashboard but if you listen closely it's coming from under the floor. Mine was also worse at idle, sitting at a traffic light for example. If you accelerate even a little bit the rattle was gone. The mod took about 10mins and I didn't even jack the car up! I just stuffed loads of bubble wrap in there! Suprisingly my car already had rubber moulded clips to keep the lines from rattling but clearly they were not working! The rattle has completely disappeared now!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #295 on: June 22, 2012, 10:17:40 pm »
That fuel line rattle had me going crazy for weeks, found it in the end  :notworthy:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2012, 07:08:21 pm »
Went to GTi International today and bought a Forge Twintake for a price alot cheaper than any where else  :jumpmove:

Will be delivered this week  :happy2:

Car is standard at the moment but looking to go to stage 1 very soon.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2012, 07:21:12 pm »
^^^^
Were Forge at Inters this year?

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25:53 pm »
^^^^
Were Forge at Inters this year?

Yes mate, more than happy with the price!

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:56 am »
I have noticed that in my instructions for my twintake the install picture shows the pipework wrapped in what look likes exhaust wrap.

Do my pipes need wrapping? If so any recommendations on suitable material.