Make a donation

Author Topic: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....  (Read 229078 times)

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: GTI Forge TWINtake air intake - Review....
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2012, 12:42:57 pm »
I think the whistling noise is purely down to the mass of air moving through the pipework - think of blowing through a straw, sometimes that whistles...

My twintake does it too, as does the youtube example where the camera is mounted to the Golf's grille..
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2012, 09:55:34 am »
Mine does it to. Not sure what revs its starts at but its under hard acceleration   :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10:16 am »
I haven't noticed if I've got the 'whistling' sound but I have a 470-mile drive on Monday so I'll focus on it then.

This vid showcases the sound very well, especially at around 1:30 but it's interesting that the guy finds it "rather cool":

I think it's simply down to the individual car's package of modifications and the inevitable harmonics. Folks have every right to complain or not want to hear it, but we each enjoy different things and sounds, as we do in our musical tastes.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=prhe0d9nn5irf9mn3c2t2rjf06&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #333 on: July 14, 2012, 10:55:59 am »
That noise would get on my tits.... :-/

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #334 on: July 14, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »
Can i add at this point that whilst it's been documented that i too have a whistle every now and again with my Twintake, i do not get THIS kind of high-pitched whistle. When i plant my right foot, i hear ONLY a spool up and my exhaust coming to life! Yes, this would very much get on my t*ts too!! My whistle (much quieter than this) only happens at low revs and at low speeds...

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »
Can i add at this point that whilst it's been documented that i too have a whistle every now and again with my Twintake, i do not get THIS kind of high-pitched whistle. When i plant my right foot, i hear ONLY a spool up and my exhaust coming to life! Yes, this would very much get on my t*ts too!! My whistle (much quieter than this) only happens at low revs and at low speeds...

Ah.. I'll remove you from the list then.

Turbo whistle and sucking and whooshing is fine and is expected.

Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #336 on: July 14, 2012, 02:34:08 pm »
Mine whistles :happy2:

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
I have the Forge Twintake on my TFSI Sport too! However I decided to block off the side intake and only use the main intake...

The Twintake has been on my car for about 50k now? The front Intake was dirty however the side intake was virtually untouched! (clean?)

Made a 3" Block of Cap and see how it goes? Its very quiet in comparison and the performance is more or less the same.

I only started this change this week, I was running the Spacer (removed) and the Full Twintake system (only 1 Intake) but right now the cabin is more or less quiet! All you can hear now is the Exhaust note.

You could call this...poor man's Wintake hehe!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:22:31 pm by dave.c »
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #338 on: July 14, 2012, 08:05:41 pm »
I have the Forge Twintake on my TFSI Sport too! However I decided to block off the side intake and only use the main intake...

The Twintake has been on my car for about 50k now? The front Intake was dirty however the side intake was virtually untouched! (clean?)

Made a 3" Block of Cap and see how it goes? Its very quiet in comparison and the performance is more or less the same.

I only started this change this week, I was running the Spacer (removed) and the Full Twintake system (only 1 Intake) but right now the cabin is more or less quiet! All you can hear now is the Exhaust note.

Id call that a rich mans wintake lol
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »

....That's normal for the front filter of the Twintake to collect more debris than the side filter.

You say that "the performance is more or less the same" with only the one (front) filter but how have you measured that performance difference? - Forge found that a single filter version of their Twintake delivered less performance gains.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cheungy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • "GO APR!"
    • SeatCupra.net
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »
Robin, I don't have any Real Data to show you

I went by the "Feel" of the car and how it was performing? Don't have much to report back but it is quieter!

Sorry for the vague answers but just wanted to share what I have done with the Twintake system.

If it doesn't work out well then I'll revert it back to normal.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:27:53 pm by dave.c »
MK2 PRE-FL SEAT LEON TFSI SPORT - APR K04

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #341 on: July 14, 2012, 08:53:29 pm »
^^^^
Interesting.... Thanks for sharing the information  :happy2:

My guesstimate is that when running on only the front filter, the Twintake probably delivers about 5-10 bhp less on maximum output (depending on the individual car's other mods) - Not enough to notice much difference on the road. I emphasise that is a guess.

I don't expect that any harm is being done by blocking off the side intake but I do wonder how the air is affected in the pipes where they join - I'm thinking about pressures.

Type_R

« Reply #342 on: July 15, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »
I get the high pitched sound too. First time I heard it I thought my turbo was about to explode, only comes on at hard acceleration (75% throttle) and is fairly short lived. In reality it sounds like a screeching of a tyre on tarmac! Certainly scares most of the pedestrians  :grin:

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #343 on: July 16, 2012, 05:07:15 am »
Well After replacing all the hose clamps it made no difference. So Gave up removed and sold.
I did however install it in a another AXX equipped car. No funny whistle sound to speak off. Dammit.
Oh well. Such is life.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #344 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:14 am »
Well After replacing all the hose clamps it made no difference. So Gave up removed and sold.
I did however install it in a another AXX equipped car. No funny whistle sound to speak off. Dammit.
Oh well. Such is life.

And there in lies my hope... it does it on some KO3 cars and not others so I'm hoping there is something that can be done to fix the whistle