Make a donation

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Cosmetic/Interior Modifications / Re: Changing KPH clocks to MPH clocks
« Last post by mjmallia on Today at 03:35:44 pm »
You may need to adjust the instrument cluster settings to be GB etc

This will adjust things on the DIS to mpg etc also

Random Chat / Scrubbable Matt White Emulsion - Recommendations??
« Last post by Juliand on Today at 03:05:27 pm »
Anyone have any experience of using this stuff? Recommendations appreciated please...

For use on stairs, which are quite narrow.... I have used standard matt, but find that it marks really easily, when you brush against it, carriyng things etc, and cleaning it off only leaves a shiney patch, which looks really naff. Re-painting over the marks also shows up patchy, grrrr

Heard of the scrubbable matt paint, but does it really work, without leaving a shiney patch after wiping?

Thanks Pudding. So as long as the equivalent speed markings on the face are in the same place it should be fine? That makes sense

I don't suppose you know if the face is available as a separate part or am I going to have to buy a used cluster just for the face? Is it easy enough to get the cluster apart and needle off the change it?
Mk5 General Area / Re: What is this plastic bit?
« Last post by Pudding on Today at 01:28:02 pm »
You don't need that bit.  It's not even available to buy anyway!  I think they used them in the factory to stop the rubber mount falling out of the trailing arm during assembly, but in practice it serves no real purpose on the road  :happy2:
Cosmetic/Interior Modifications / Re: Changing KPH clocks to MPH clocks
« Last post by Pudding on Today at 01:24:45 pm »
Should just need the face. Most European cars have MPH and KPH on the same face, which would suggest there is no KPH or MPH specific electronic calibration going on.
Mk5 General Area / What is this plastic bit?
« Last post by R18VDUBLU on Today at 11:45:15 am »
Hi, I hope someone can help. I need to replace a rear spring that is broken on my MK5 GTI. I have found that there seems to be a bit which I assume holds the rubber in shape on the spring that is still ok, but is missing on the side of the broken spring. I don’t want to install a new spring if this is an essential part. I have searched everywhere and can’t seem to find a name or part no of this thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Am I overthinking this? Can I just change the dial face, or is it not that simple?
Cosmetic/Interior Modifications / Changing KPH clocks to MPH clocks
« Last post by adamvaughan on Today at 11:28:56 am »

Soon I have a japanese import 2.0tsi estate arriving. I'd like to change the clocks and odometer so they read on MPH rather than KPH. I've had a search and can't find this topic covered before, and I thought it may be a little different to upgrading to highline clocks.

As I understand it I can change the odometer just using coding in VCDS, is this correct?

To change the speedo I'm assuming I need a new cluster, is this correct? It currently has midline clocks and I'm not worried about upgrading to highline if it's more work (is it?).

What part number do I need and will I need my SKC code for immobiliser?

Thanks for your help
Hi Ollie

I haven't done loads of miles in it yet, but I think the ride is comparable to stock. The springs are meant for the variant/estate so I guess the rear ones have a heavier spring rate to carry the extra weight. If I did it again I might go for a 45mm drop as there's still a little more arch gap than I's like at the front.

I think the red one will go up for sale as soon as I've got it registered. I don't really need two of them :)

Got any photos/thread of yours
Mk5 General Area / Re: What to do?
« Last post by Pudding on Today at 09:26:33 am »
Yep, new cam time.

A new follower will buy you a bit of time, but not a lot.  A cam lobe that worn will chew up the new follower pretty quickly, and be mindful of all that metal dust potentially clogging up oil galleries.  If that gets into the VVT phaser, that'll be another £500+ to add to the cam job.

TBH, you can buy an entire head with cams, VVT phaser, chain and tensioner for about a grand.

But naturally you can get a used cam off ebay and give that a whirl if cost is a factor. Time for some man maths and beer thinking!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10