Make a donation

Author Topic: My Steel Grey GT Sport 170 DPF  (Read 7245 times)

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
Re: My Steel Grey GT Sport 170 DPF
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 04:12:07 pm »
I think several guys on here have this one :-
http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk5/genuine-vw-smooth-grille-golf-mk5-gti

Yes Paul,

I think thats what ill go for, and then i am going to spray the red strip a different colour (to be different as i dont have a GTi) so therefore i shouldnt make it look like one lol

I have looked at some of the DIY guides and them seem pretty easy to change and then i can also add my pressed plate and have it on magnets so it can be removed for photoshoots etc as it does look so good without a front plate lol !

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

If you can get one from them  :signLOL:

I've always had problems in the past ordering from awesome. In my experience they've always seemed to be more than happy to take money straight away, and then try to order the part themselves which takes weeks / months to arrive  :stupid:

Grille does look good though - but will scratch over time when using magnets no matter how careful you are. I'd advise using double sided suction pads  :happy2:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:59:36 pm »

Yes Paul,

I think thats what ill go for, and then i am going to spray the red strip a different colour (to be different as i dont have a GTi) so therefore i shouldnt make it look like one lol

I have looked at some of the DIY guides and them seem pretty easy to change and then i can also add my pressed plate and have it on magnets so it can be removed for photoshoots etc as it does look so good without a front plate lol !

sounds like a plan  :happy2:
some guys use double sided suckers instead, as the magnets can scratch the black paint
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 06:25:24 pm »
Nice looking motor mate. Trust me though, your plans will go out the window once you've seen a few members rides on here. Its a very slipper slope my friend  :happy2:

Ha ha yes they have already changed a few times Matto, in fact your thread was one of those reasons !!! Damn You !!

Haha. Sorry not sorry  :wink:

Certainly the smooth front grill is one i want now !!!

Did you just fill the holes on your and get it sprayed gloss black or did you buy a new part ? If so where from ?

I found the grill mask on ebay then had the holes filled with plastic weld. My mate then smoothed and painted it. :happy2:

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 04:54:31 pm »
Nice looking motor mate. Trust me though, your plans will go out the window once you've seen a few members rides on here. Its a very slipper slope my friend  :happy2:

Ha ha yes they have already changed a few times Matto, in fact your thread was one of those reasons !!! Damn You !!

Do you run without a plate all the time and leave it in the windscreen ?
Haha. Sorry not sorry  :wink:

Certainly the smooth front grill is one i want now !!!

Did you just fill the holes on your and get it sprayed gloss black or did you buy a new part ? If so where from ?

I found the grill mask on ebay then had the holes filled with plastic weld. My mate then smoothed and painted it. :happy2:

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 02:14:25 pm »
Ok well time for an update - after several variations of what i was going to do with the grills on the front end and mixtures of ED30 fog grills and then standard GT ones and then open GTi ones, i saw a gtil grill come up for sale with a dark blue strip which was nice as its a little different so here is a the pic below which shows it. so i thought i would keep them all GTI for the moment lol until i change my mind again.

No other real updates as i had it back in VW for over a week for a warranty issue some glow plug fault threw up the engine management light so they gave me a ghastly MK7 1.2 TSI thing to drive in the meantime lol still it was free

Private plate will be going on shortly as i got the log book in the post yesterday so i ordered some nice UK legal metal pressed ones (making sure they were also reflective)

Only issue i have now is that i wanted to remove the GTI badge but it had an awful holder thing as part of the grill at the back which you would have been able to see, therefore i decided to remove the 'I' from the GTI and replace it with a D, however this appears to be slightly more difficult as i have to buy a GTD badge just to use the D which seems a waste and at over £30 silly so now i am throwing it out there for some assistance or opinions as to what you would do.

Before everyone screams DREMEL i dont have one and dont really want to buy one as i am now saving for side skirts and wheels and coilovers lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:50 pm »
Anyone ?? Lol

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 10:16:42 am »
A MK6 GTD badge should fit straight into the holder of the GTI badge as I think the clips are the same.

Also I like the blue line, I'm going to do that to mine soon.

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 10:49:00 am »
Thanks Dave. I couldn't get the Poxy badge to unclip from the holder though ha ha. But I think keeping it kind of standard with gtd at the front is the way to go. I just don't want to force off the old one and break the holder. I am not fussed about breaking the old badge. I see it has three clips but they all seem to be really tight

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 01:22:12 am »
I have the front and rear GTD badges from the Mk6. The front one fits perfectly in the GTI grill. You can easily remove the grill to help removing the GT badge.

Cheers

PS: Great engine you've got there. ;)

Offline chris-182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 08:42:43 am »
Looks good with the GTI grill and blue strip! the GTD badge will look nice when you've sorted it. Maybe buy a GTD badge, put the 'I' back on the GTI badge and sell it to recoup some of the cost?

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 01:24:13 pm »
Ok well a couple of small changes as money is tight at the moment and i really need wheels and suspension lol !

So first was the GT(I) or D badge situation

So as a new GTD from a mk6 is around £30 i decided to opt for a cheap solution and as i had already taken off the "I" i therefore decided to hack off the black bit of plastic to smarten it up for the moment and to be fair it doesnt look too bad and is fine for a while until i am a bit more flush !

Pic

Then i decided to smooth up the rear end by removing the badges, took me quite a while as i dont own a heat gun so using some thread and some elbow grease to get rid of the stick residue left me with this which looks loads better i think

Pic

Then i fitted some Lamin X to the front fogs to give it a bit of a Euro feel and i had already got the car coded to run with indicators on with sidelights at 40% brightness so here is a pic with them all on

Pic of Lamin X on the fogs

Pic of them on with the sidelights and indicators - although i prefer the yellow when they are off (which is 99% of the time so thats all good)

Next i have ordered a gecleant glass stopper so i can remove the rear wiper to complete the smoother looking rear end and i have also ordered the parts to allow the boot pop coding change to open up the boot all the way when i press and hold the button the remote, oo and i have ordered a new stalk so i can retro fit cruise control as i had that in my last 2 cars and do really miss it.

More updates to follow as and when they happen

I think the next thing will be wheels and suspension and maybe some side skirts we shall see

Offline MikLSP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
I like the yellow fogs actually, I keep thinking of using yellow in various places as a complimentary colour scheme and these would be a good addition to that  :happy2:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
Removing the gti badge is a 2 minute job. I've done it several times. Just take off front grill by removing the two tire screws and you're golden.

Keep us updated with the retrofit cruise control stalk. Would love to tackle it

Offline DamoP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 115
  • 2007 Edition 30 number 1242
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86073.0.html
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 06:28:18 pm »
very smart mate