Make a donation

Author Topic: newbie to detailing, is this process ok for now?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 2
newbie to detailing, is this process ok for now?
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:46 am »
Hi I have got a white mk5 gti and I dont think its ever been fully detailed but I want to change this. So far I have always washed and dryed along with apply quick wax. But now I want to get into it properly.

Briefly, the current process for washing my car is:

auto finese citrus power
pressure wash
clean using meguiars shampoo and conditioner
dry using drying towel

What Im looking to do:

After this step, Im thinking I should be using a product like tar remover? In regards to applying it, do I just leave it on the surface for a few minutes then rinse? I have black spots on my alloys, will this get rid of them or will iron x? This is the first time that this product is being used is that also ok?

I believe the next step is ironx? Do I definetly need this or can i skip this for now? As I want to build up my collection.

claying would follow, would autogylm clay be ok?

Next would be autoglym srp

And finally using meguiars rapid deatailer (which I already have) to protect. I know this isnt a proper wax, but will this be ok for now to protect the paint?

is this a good process to start with?
My next step will be to get a polisher.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: newbie to detailing, is this process ok for now?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 08:42:32 am »
My guide - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89106.msg902491.html#msg902491

Don't worry too much about ironx, clay etc. and just do what you can. Put it this way, your car is probably nearly 10 years old and the last owner(s) more than likely just threw it into a car wash once every few months so what you're already doing is better than 90% of people.

Offline AL

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:08:49 pm »
My suggestion would be

On a white car, if you complete your normal wash (which sounds fine btw) and then:-

Tar Remover sprayed over lower half of car and boot lid (in cool temps and shade) then spray more onto a cloth and go round the vehicle and wipe the panels, you'll need to focus on the bigger tar spots a bit more.

De ironiser over the whole car, leave to dwell for quite a few minutes (you'll have lots of purple runs), then rinse thoroughly

Clay the car thoroughly (there shouldn't be TOO many contaminants left at this point)

Rinse the whole car down and dry

Apply a thorough layer of SRP to whole car

Apply a SEALANT/wax to the bodywork (collinite 476 is my choice for durability,shine per £. apply to a small area and buff straight away)

This is obviously all my own opinion but i've done this many times on white cars and everyone has always been thrilled with the results, if you dont want to do it all, i'd drop the deironiser first then the separate wax, SRP does leave a protective layer but adding another proper wax/sealant will mean all your hard work will last much longer, and washing it will be easy as anything.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

Alex

ETA: Use the tar remover and the deironiser on the wheels and it should take care of any black spots  :smiley:

Offline Semka

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »
Very good advice above.

As clay goes, highly recommend Bilt Hamber Autoclay.....no need clay lube just use water.

Offline R15NDO

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:31:12 pm »
Hi I have got a white mk5 gti and I dont think its ever been fully detailed but I want to change this. So far I have always washed and dryed along with apply quick wax. But now I want to get into it properly.

Briefly, the current process for washing my car is:

auto finese citrus power
pressure wash
clean using meguiars shampoo and conditioner
dry using drying towel

What Im looking to do:

After this step, Im thinking I should be using a product like tar remover? In regards to applying it, do I just leave it on the surface for a few minutes then rinse? I have black spots on my alloys, will this get rid of them or will iron x? This is the first time that this product is being used is that also ok?

I believe the next step is ironx? Do I definetly need this or can i skip this for now? As I want to build up my collection.

claying would follow, would autogylm clay be ok?

Next would be autoglym srp

And finally using meguiars rapid deatailer (which I already have) to protect. I know this isnt a proper wax, but will this be ok for now to protect the paint?

is this a good process to start with?
My next step will be to get a polisher.

The wash stages sound ok. Make sure the iron out or any product like that doesn't dry on the car. And keep away from any rubbers. I wouldn't be too fussed about the tar remover over the bottom half. Once cleaned the clay should get rid of a lot of this so just a wipe with some on a rag would be fine.

It'll need a good polish after claying etc as the paint will be marred. I wouldn't use SRP personally. By hand I'd use something like auto finesse triple or meguiars 205

Offline ashvag0

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • candy white gti
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:49:59 pm »
Dont forget the two bucket method, always keep your sponges and buckets for your bodywork and wheels seperate dude it prevents swirl marks etc

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 07:45:06 pm »
I would use traffic film remover to start with, gets rid of loads of stuff.

Definitely clay bar and use iron X, if you are getting a machine polisher don't waste your time with srp, great product but no where near the finish a proper machine polish will provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk