Make a donation

Author Topic: New. Ed30 owner. Recent loss of power. Revs up&down when idle.  (Read 13235 times)

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New. Ed30 owner. Recent loss of power. Revs up&down when idle.
« on: December 08, 2016, 04:22:15 pm »
Hi

I've got a Manual Reflex silver Ed. 30 2008. Recently have noticed loss of power and after about 5/10mins driving, the revs go up to around 2k at most. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it drops. Regardless, it how happens everytime I drive it. Also noticed that the biting point is harder to catch now. What I mean by this is it feels like I have to apply more gas otherwise the car will start jerking. And recently since I've noticed the problems my start ups has been really rusty, crap shoddy type of start. And been told the car smokes quite a bit of thick grey smoke.

Here's a video to my idle problem;

Any ideas what the problem is here? Needing help through here before heading to a garage.

Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:29:19 pm by UniquEd30 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: New. Ed30 owner. Recent loss of power. Revs up&down when idle.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:01:15 pm »
Idle problems are often associated with a dodgy PCV, and a bad injector can also cause a very lumpy idle as well as misfires and a lack of power under load.

The PCV should really be checked and if necessary replaced along with a service; even though VW don't deem it a serviceable item, they often fail. You can list the diverter valve and cam follower in that category too.

First off, with the engine idling pull the oil dipstick. If the engine doesn't change in the way it's idling it's a fair indication that the PCV has seen better days. Usually with a good PCV, pulling the dipstick will cause the engine to idle badly. Put the dipstick back in, and a good idle is restored.

If that fails, I'd get it scanned. Any fault codes might give you a starting point. But be mindful that the lack of a code doesn't necessarily indicate the lack of a fault. One step better than a code scan is live data logging with VCDS. If you're paying a garage to do the diagnostics with VCDS the cost will soon start adding up. It'd help if you knew a friend or fellow forum member with VCDS!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:58:23 pm »
Oh and let us know how you get on please. Don't be one of those guys that signs up to get an answer to a question and then dissappears.

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:29:39 pm »
Oh and let us know how you get on please. Don't be one of those guys that signs up to get an answer to a question and then dissappears.

Cheers pal, so much information to work with. I'll keep this topic posted.

I'm new to VW, where can I locate this PCV? & Diverter Valve?

And also when you say idle badly, I should expect the revs to go up and down? Or...

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:00:07 am »
Anyone know where I can order these replacement parts? Having trouble finding them.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:46 am »
Welcome to ED30 ownership  :happy2:

OK, your first jobs then:

PCV update - http://www.psituning.com/product.php/21395/oem_pcv_breather_update_kit___2_0tfsi

Cam follower - http://www.psituning.com/product.php/23731/cam_follower_replacement_kit___2_0_tfsi

Boost recirculation valve (aka 'DV', or 'dump valve') - http://www.psituning.com/product.php/22466/gfb_dv__diverter_valve_kit___2_0_tfsi_2_0tsi

You don't have to buy those items from that company, I just posted them for convenience and pictures of what you need.  I think their pricing is comparable to other places though.

The PCV parts are under the engine cover.   The front one is screwed to the cam cover and 5 mins to replace.  The rear one is more work and very fiddly, but DIYable. 

The cam follower is under the mechanical fuel pump.  Again DIYable and plenty of info on it on this site.

The DV is in front of the radiator and very easy to change.

These parts should solve your issue and cover the common failings that need addressing.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:41:51 pm »
Welcome to ED30 ownership  :happy2:

OK, your first jobs then:

PCV update - http://www.psituning.com/product.php/21395/oem_pcv_breather_update_kit___2_0tfsi

Cam follower - http://www.psituning.com/product.php/23731/cam_follower_replacement_kit___2_0_tfsi

Boost recirculation valve (aka 'DV', or 'dump valve') - http://www.psituning.com/product.php/22466/gfb_dv__diverter_valve_kit___2_0_tfsi_2_0tsi

You don't have to buy those items from that company, I just posted them for convenience and pictures of what you need.  I think their pricing is comparable to other places though.

The PCV parts are under the engine cover.   The front one is screwed to the cam cover and 5 mins to replace.  The rear one is more work and very fiddly, but DIYable. 

The cam follower is under the mechanical fuel pump.  Again DIYable and plenty of info on it on this site.

The DV is in front of the radiator and very easy to change.

These parts should solve your issue and cover the common failings that need addressing.

Thank you, very helpful.

So just an update, I went out and did the dipstick test, as the engine was running I pulled the dipstick out, pressure was released and the engine started shaking a lot and sounded like engine was going to cut out but didn't. So i'm assuming that the PCV is okay?

How will I know that the Cam, DV needs replacing from looking at them once I locate them?

Car was serviced at 126027 at VW. And its currently reading 130498. Motorway miles.

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 09:07:01 am »
Right..

So I've noticed that the revs idles worst after accelerating or putting my foot down a bit aggressively..

I will be heading over to a friends house this afternoon as he has a Fault code reader.

I think I'm losing miles too..

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:36:00 am »
Right..

So I've noticed that the revs idles worst after accelerating or putting my foot down a bit aggressively..

I will be heading over to a friends house this afternoon as he has a Fault code reader.

I think I'm losing miles too..
Remember to check under 'pending' codes as well as stored faults.

You might find you get more info with VAG-specific diagnostics (VCDS) but it's a start. Fingers crossed it sheds some light.

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »
So..

No faults found. No faukts stored or pending.

I noticed my Mass Air Flow (MAF) readings was bouncing between 2.0 and 4.0 as my revs was going up and down.

The Turbo bar was changed most recently by VW as it made a hissing sound, I'be heard a hissing sound every now and again, could it be this? Maybe come loose or faulty?

Offline mrw

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 06:25:47 pm »
UniquEd30, that video reminds of the problems I had ('08 regular GTI), before my PCV failed. Mine did start to climb to 2k revs and with a blip of the throttle the rev's returned to normal before waiting a couple of seconds and started to climb again. Vag Com showed nothing!

I did the dipstick test and it passed, once it started to whistle (confirming the issue) I replaced the PCV valve. I paid £29.99+VAT (minus the gasket etc) from TPS (https://tps.trade/ - I don't believe all of them will sell to the public) back in July so not a great expense if you wish to take a chance.

The chap at TPS who served me mentioned they do have a lot of problems with one of the pipes that sit at the back of the engine that connects to the PCV, I think its the metal one that is shown on 'PCV update' posted by pudding. He said the latter cars have a revised pipe (mine was one) which aren't so problematic.

Do you have a part number of what VW changed?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:22:54 pm by mrw »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 07:38:17 pm »
Just for info, if you do replace the PCV I believe the revision R is the one to get.

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 11:53:59 pm »
UniquEd30, that video reminds of the problems I had ('08 regular GTI), before my PCV failed. Mine did start to climb to 2k revs and with a blip of the throttle the rev's returned to normal before waiting a couple of seconds and started to climb again. Vag Com showed nothing!

I did the dipstick test and it passed, once it started to whistle (confirming the issue) I replaced the PCV valve. I paid £29.99+VAT (minus the gasket etc) from TPS (https://tps.trade/ - I don't believe all of them will sell to the public) back in July so not a great expense if you wish to take a chance.

The chap at TPS who served me mentioned they do have a lot of problems with one of the pipes that sit at the back of the engine that connects to the PCV, I think its the metal one that is shown on 'PCV update' posted by pudding. He said the latter cars have a revised pipe (mine was one) which aren't so problematic.

Do you have a part number of what VW changed?

Just been through the service book receipts and I can confirm a Turbo boost hose was supplied and fitted by Beadles VW Maidstone. I am assuming this is the parts number: V1K0 145 832 P. This was changed on 27/07/16.

Today I have noticed a short hissing(possibly a whistle) type of noise coming from outside the window for a period of 2-4seconds. Usually after putting my foot down a little.

So you're saying my PCV could possibly be on its way out even though no fault codes came up as well as passing the dipstick test?

Offline UniquEd30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 11:55:08 pm »
Just for info, if you do replace the PCV I believe the revision R is the one to get.

Any links to where I can purchase one? And also it will be a direct fit? Whats the benefits of the revision R PCV?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 11:59:32 pm »

Any links to where I can purchase one? And also it will be a direct fit? Whats the benefits of the revision R PCV?
It's a VW part, so from a dealer or TPS. The benefit is that the design has been revised over time. Just like the diverter valve revisions, earlier iterations of the same function were improved upon.