Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge CatchTank System - Review....  (Read 42679 times)

Offline Gti_Mad

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
Re: Forge CatchTank System - Review....
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 08:26:49 pm »
hmmm great write up robin... i think i will be purchasing 1 of these soon  :signLOL:

any idea were to get the header tank cap from ??

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »
^^^^
Header globe tank cap from Jcaps across the pond in the U S of A. Black anodised alu and not cheap but nice quality. The nasty looking blue plastic oem cap is a real eye-sore imo.

http://jcapsonline.com/

Check it all out at our next Hampshire meet :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 09:10:45 pm »
RR, the dipstick would have a conical seat, and be tightened into place, it would require unscrewing to check levels.  The Sight-glass method is ok, but perhaps over-complicating the system?

I like Forge products, they are well made and functional.  I think given the size of the can, height could be a problem with a dip-stick.

Good piece of kit, not 100% but very very good.  Good shot of the sight-glass and seal assembly. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 09:28:09 pm »
^^^^
Yep, I agree - Forge are sometimes limited by their manufacturing machines and methods and this sometimes results in their products appearing 'over-engineered'. But personally I prefer overdone to underdone (except when referring to meat and veg). I'm also learning that Forge's products are popular with the show 'n shine folks.

And yes, definitely not enough height below the bonnet for a dipstick.

Also, I agree still not absolutely perfect on the sight-glass visibility but nonetheless acceptably functional in practice and very difficult, if not impossible, how to position it at higher level without seriously compromising the functionality of the tank itself.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:16:21 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 07:51:00 am »
 :notworthy: thanks Robin , another top review  :drinking:

(although Im not sure thats my quote , but Ill take the credit  :signLOL:)
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
Good review RR. I lespec like the small graphic flow chart type thing that you incorporate, are they designed by you?

Forge make some good products but not sure if the better quality warrants the high price tag compared to the BSH.
How much do our American cousins pay for this?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »
^^^^
No, the flow chart not designed by me although I am capable.

Our American 'cousins' pay around US$415 for the Forge Catch Tank system. Other systems I've seen in the U S of A such as Draft, also cost over US$400 but don't have hoses which are fluoro and the tank is smaller. BSH have been quite clever in producing a cheapo, but, as I say, it depends what you want and I don't mind paying for quality and eye-candy.

BSH's use of non-fluoro hoses, plastic elbow joints, ordinary jubilee clips, no level check, etc, are all contributing to their much lower price.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:00:27 pm by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »

Minus point:

When used near by and below zero the can freezes and need to be dismantled for the system to work.

....Hi Jake,

I've added an Addenda to my review which flags the subject of potential freezing and can add/revise it accordingly in the future when more is known.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 03:35:55 pm »

Minus point:

When used near by and below zero the can freezes and need to be dismantled for the system to work.

....Hi Jake,

I've added an Addenda to my review which flags the subject of potential freezing and can add/revise it accordingly in the future when more is known.

i haven't thought of why it does yet, but i know 2 out of 2 that had to dismantle theirs here in Denmark last winter due to freezing. I remember it also being mentioned several times on the american forum.  :drinking:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 09:25:33 am »
^^^^
No, the flow chart not designed by me although I am capable.

Our American 'cousins' pay around US$415 for the Forge Catch Tank system. Other systems I've seen in the U S of A such as Draft, also cost over US$400 but don't have hoses which are fluoro and the tank is smaller. BSH have been quite clever in producing a cheapo, but, as I say, it depends what you want and I don't mind paying for quality and eye-candy.

BSH's use of non-fluoro hoses, plastic elbow joints, ordinary jubilee clips, no level check, etc, are all contributing to their much lower price.

Non Fluro Hoses (yes - but then VW use N/F hoses all over the breather system on the GTI - seem to last fairly well)
Ordinary Jubilee Clips - sorted by £8 worth of OEM clips.
Smaller tank - BSH Larger variant available from BSH/Dubtek (as per the recent huge GB) for the same cost.
No level check - BSH has easy level check available - Dipstick level check on larger variants - simples.

One huge plus is the way the BSH is emptied in situ..........  Very handy.  

I do agree with the use of plastic elbows etc, but it is a few pound to buy brass versions from a plumbers.  Forge outlets on the breather plate look to have very small diameter.  

To bring the BSH 'perceived lower standard' up to the perceived 'standard' of the forge is going to cost £20?  then you stick the rest  (circa £200) towards some of Shell's finest.  the forge variant does look very well made, but not £200+ better, value for money I think BSH wins hands down.

I know where my money would be spent, and as ever this is just my opinion.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:32:56 am by stokeballoon »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »

Non Fluro Hoses (yes - but then VW use N/F hoses all over the breather system on the GTI - seem to last fairly well)
Ordinary Jubilee Clips - sorted by £8 worth of OEM clips.
Smaller tank - BSH Larger variant available from BSH/Dubtek (as per the recent huge GB) for the same cost.
No level check - BSH has easy level check available - Dipstick level check on larger variants - simples.

One huge plus is the way the BSH is emptied in situ..........  Very handy.  

I do agree with the use of plastic elbows etc, but it is a few pound to buy brass versions from a plumbers.  Forge outlets on the breather plate look to have very small diameter.  

To bring the BSH 'perceived lower standard' up to the perceived 'standard' of the forge is going to cost £20?  then you stick the rest  (circa £200) towards some of Shell's finest.  the forge variant does look very well made, but not £200+ better, value for money I think BSH wins hands down.

I know where my money would be spent, and as ever this is just my opinion.

:happy2:

.... :happy2:  At the risk of getting into a lot of detail [T_T style!], I agree that the BSH is very good value for money but at not quite the extent of cost differential of the £200+ you state.

Non Fluoro Hoses - OEM isn't always best and can often be improved for longevity.

OEM clips are painted steel and quickly show signs of corrosion and you need to buy a special tool to undo them safely without potential injury! VAG are now changing their OEM clips AFAIK.

BSH's equivalent size tank system costs £190 in the US to buy singly (not via a huge group buy). Add UK tax and shipping?

BSH level check is good but slightly less convenient than Forge's sight-glass [I'm getting pedantic here!].

Forge tank can be emptied in situ too - The fluoro hoses are very flexible. However, I would recommend removing and cleaning any catch tank every time you empty it to get rid of all the gunk and keep the functionality tip top.

But don't get me wrong, the BSH offers an adequate cheaper alternative. I had a BSH system, sold it and 'lost' money, and I was happy to pay much more for what I personally much prefer. More than one professional mechanic has, totally unprompted, stated what a difference in quality and fitment. Forge's washscreen filler is a bonus but has to be priced for.

As I said before, it's good for the consumer that we have a range of alternatives :happy2: :drinking:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 02:35:41 pm »
WHY HAVE ONE?

Excess crankcase pressure is vented from the crankcase through the PCV system, where it is drawn into the intake manifold and returned by the engine. This recirculated air contains aerated oil from the crankcase which is burned by the engine.
That is incorrect.  A correctly functioning PCV system will separate out the oil (including oil 'mist') - returning the oil to the sump, and just whiffy air to be burnt.

Some (not all, I'm told) turbocharged engines, especially when performance modified, can draw significant amounts of oil into the engine through VAG's oem PCV system.
Again, considerably over-egging the pudding.  It certainly could not be described as significant!

THE OEM PCV:

The 2.0T FSI engine comes with a closed PCV valve which obviously functions but as with most oem factory components it is designed and manufactured to restrictive rules and criteria and which can be improved by replacing with aftermarket components.
As do ALL engines from ALL manufacturers.  And on standard engines, the OEM system is perfectly fine (providing you use decent fuel and high quality oils).

^ Intake valve from stripped 2.0T FSI engine with oem PCV after xx,000 miles.
That pic needs considerably more explanation.  What fuel was used?  What oil was used?  Was the engine modified?  How does that compare to an old skool manifold injected valve?  You will be well shocked by the answer to the latter!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »
^^^^
@ Sean aka T_T:

I think it's extremely good that you add what is either your opinion or your expert knowledge to a thread such as this. However, I'll leave it to others if they want to debate or discuss the details further on this particular subject.

:drinking:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 03:22:55 pm »
^^^^
@ Sean aka T_T:

I think it's extremely good that you add what is either your opinion or your expert knowledge to a thread such as this. However, I'll leave it to others if they want to debate or discuss the details further on this particular subject.

:drinking:

That's fair enough - but in your original post, there are some fundament technical errors - which ought to be highlighted.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 06:24:04 pm »

Why is there only 2 rubber blanks provided when there are 3 nipples?