Make a donation

Author Topic: Hella Daytime Running Light LED's....  (Read 116839 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: Daylight Running Light LED's....
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 12:42:40 pm »
I generally drive with my sidelights on all the time during the day, and switch to full-beams quite early. As a note, Mk6 Golfs/Sciroccos come with their full beams on all the time now by default; the "Auto" mode on the headlight switch just changes turns on the interior lighting now, effectively.
More lights = more visibility = more safe.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:31 pm »
As a note, Mk6 Golfs/Sciroccos come with their full beams on all the time now by default

....Full beams literally, or dipped headlights?

That's bad imo - Proper LED DRL's are much more considerate to other road users (incl bikers!).

Rear lights on by default too? - Again bad as they will diffuse the visibility of brake lights. Duh!!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 03:03:02 pm »
As a note, Mk6 Golfs/Sciroccos come with their full beams on all the time now by default

....Full beams literally, or dipped headlights?

That's bad imo - Proper LED DRL's are much more considerate to other road users (incl bikers!).

Rear lights on by default too? - Again bad as they will diffuse the visibility of brake lights. Duh!!

Dipped beams, as Volvo has been doing for a number of years.
Frankly I support using dipped beam over DRLs* (though as people object to full beams DRLs are fine). Rear lights are on by default as well - the intensity of brake light shouldn't be affected by a rear light.

*If I had my way we'd be driving with dipped beam, rear lights, and US-style orange sidemarkers on the front wings and at the extreme rear corners of the vehicle. This is perhaps an engineering-centric viewpoint with little or no regard or recourse for other viewpoints, so I'm maybe not the one to listen to about this :P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »
^^^^
You and I are totally agreed for the need for and safety advantages of Daylight Running Lights, we have different opinions about what form they take - 'Volvoesque Headlights vs Audiesque LEDs'.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline M7AXB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »
Hey RR,

How much did they cost you? Deff interested in a set!!

Cheers

Max

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 11:44:39 am »
^^^^

Hey Max,

I'll have to look it up for you in all my paperwork so will post info for you later.

Meanwhile, a mate of mine did this! : -

^ Too damned right!! ^

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 02:42:55 pm »
There is an aftermarket non-Xenon headlamp unit available for the Mk5 Golf which has integrated LED DRL strips but I would not wish to sacrifice having Xenons. I don't know how they are wired and if they are Euro-legal. The European rules about switching are very strict.
I have std lights and seeing as I'm not likely to go down the Xenon route (no matter how much I love them, £££ + time + effort isn't worth it, at least not yet), any idea on where I should be looking for these?

I very much enjoy the fact that whenever I switch on the ignition to go out and drive, the LED DRL's are automatically switched on without me having to think about it. They also switch off with the ignition being switched off.
Can't remember if I've asked you this before, but what happens if you stick the autolights on and it's dim outside? I presume the DRLs then switch off and the headlights come on?

[/quote]

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 04:45:34 pm »

There is an aftermarket non-Xenon headlamp unit available for the Mk5 Golf which has integrated LED DRL strips but I would not wish to sacrifice having Xenons. I don't know how they are wired and if they are Euro-legal. The European rules about switching are very strict.

I have std lights and seeing as I'm not likely to go down the Xenon route (no matter how much I love them, £££ + time + effort isn't worth it, at least not yet), any idea on where I should be looking for these?

....Hurdy has some - He'll know if you PM him.

I very much enjoy the fact that whenever I switch on the ignition to go out and drive, the LED DRL's are automatically switched on without me having to think about it. They also switch off with the ignition being switched off.

Can't remember if I've asked you this before, but what happens if you stick the autolights on and it's dim outside? I presume the DRLs then switch off and the headlights come on?

....Yes, when you have Autolights on and they activate the headlights, the DRL's automatically switch off.

Offline u01atc8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 11:48:07 pm »
can i run both fogs and leds together? i dont mean at the same time.. More.. could it be set up so that i can have front/rear fogs on when needed. Or Just front fogs With normal lights on.. Or just the Led's with the normal lights on...?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 12:11:50 am »
^^^^
Legally you MUST have an operational rear red fog light and that can easily continue to function as it does now.

Technically if you are to follow European rules (very strongly advised if you drive in Europe) your DRL's should be installed so they automatically switch on with ignition and off when switching to any other light. I haven't checked if Audi's do this but I've got a big latest 09 Audi to play with soon.

Fogs are a signal light and DRL's (proper ones, not Volvo dipped headlights) are a passive light. The two are independent in all respects.

The UK authorities have discussed that they may allow fogs to be used for a transition period when DRL's become compulsory on all new cars in 2010(?). As fogs are signal lights and so can obviously dazzle, this makes a mockery of the purpose of DRL's, but why am I not surprised!?

If you find someone to install the S6 DRL's, they should know how to wire and switch it. But will they know the Euro rules? My MOT tester didn't until I told him.

It sounds as if you intend to keep the oem fogs and simply (well, it's not simple unfortunately) add the DRL's independently.

Hurdy has aftermarket headlights which incorporate LED strip DRL's, but you can't install those if you have and want to keep Xenons. It's all in this thread.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 10:29:10 am »

Original post updated. :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 04:32:34 pm »
^^^^
Legally you MUST have an operational rear red fog light and that can easily continue to function as it does now.

Technically if you are to follow European rules (very strongly advised if you drive in Europe) your DRL's should be installed so they automatically switch on with ignition and off when switching to any other light. I haven't checked if Audi's do this but I've got a big latest 09 Audi to play with soon.

That is categorically NOT what the EU regs state.  DRLs can STILL be used with side lamps, dipped headlamps or main beams - which is exactly how Audi, part of the worlds third largest car manufacturing group have been doing for some time now!

Fogs are a signal light and DRL's (proper ones, not Volvo dipped headlights) are a passive light. The two are independent in all respects.

Front fog lamps are NOT classed as 'signal lights' - ONLY indicators are classed as 'signal lights'!

Secondly, DRLs, be they LEDs or tungsten filament lights (like on Volvos) are NOT classed as different - and are IDENTICAL in their function.!!!!

The UK authorities have discussed that they may allow fogs to be used for a transition period when DRL's become compulsory on all new cars in 2010(?).

Where the heck did that bollox come from?  Fog lamps will NEVER be allowed to be used in anything other than fog - end of!

As fogs are signal lights and so can obviously dazzle, this makes a mockery of the purpose of DRL's, but why am I not surprised!?

Fog lamps are NOT signal lamps, and when front fog lamps are correctly aligned - they do NOT dazzle.  They actually cause less dazzle than a correctly aligned dipped headlamp - which is exactly why a correctly adjusted fog lamp will perform better in fog compared to normal dipped headlamps.

It is only your very wrong information, or wrong interpretation which is making a mockery of this issue - the laws are crystal clear!

If you find someone to install the S6 DRL's, they should know how to wire and switch it. But will they know the Euro rules? My MOT tester didn't until I told him.

Sorry, Robin, but you have interpreted your so-called 'Euro rules' with a major error!  DRLs do NOT have to be switched off when headlamps are switched on!  Or do you think you know better than Audi AG?

It sounds as if you intend to keep the oem fogs and simply (well, it's not simple unfortunately) add the DRL's independently.

Hurdy has aftermarket headlights which incorporate LED strip DRL's, but you can't install those if you have and want to keep Xenons. It's all in this thread.

Stealth does NOT have Xenons, so Hurdys lights would be ideal.  But for those with Xenons, then just use the Xenon dip as a DRL!
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Daytime Running Light LED's....
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 05:03:55 pm »
:popcornsoda:

I hope that's a wheelie bin size of popcorn!  :evilgrin:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 06:01:17 pm »