Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2599440 times)

Offline steve4934

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: clocks display fade fading
« Reply #12480 on: August 24, 2022, 11:22:39 pm »
LCD display fading has been getting worse Seems to be the hot weather :thinking: Anyway I bought a replacement display from HK
Had it fitted within 1/2 hr  straighforward as long as you dont scratch or snap any fastenings :happy2:

Have you got the web address where you got it, mines fubar too so wouldn’t mind replacing it.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12481 on: August 25, 2022, 04:34:39 pm »
AliExpress  kremersino store  Less than £60 Very quick delivery at 10 days Easy diy :happy2:

Offline steve4934

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12482 on: August 26, 2022, 03:38:05 pm »
AliExpress  kremersino store  Less than £60 Very quick delivery at 10 days Easy diy :happy2:

Nice one, thank you.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12483 on: August 28, 2022, 07:10:13 pm »
I did this, drilling out the restrictor on the fuel line and since I have the banjo bolt I just had to remove the rubber hose to access it.

Why? Because when I used to accelerate hard it would keep cutting out like fuel cuts were happening.   Over the last 9 months I had changed the in-tank fuel pump, the fuel pump, three oil changes, spark plugs, checked the coils, the cam follower and hpfp and I was still getting cut outs which felt like misfires.

But this little mod worked, thanks @ROH ECHT as I found on an american Golf forum.  I drilled it out to 4mm but now it pulls without any hesitation, spluttering, cut outs or misfiring, no matter which gear in. Unsure if any gain to be had by going 5mm, so I think I'll leave it as it is. Thanks again.

Is it remapped?  I can't help but think there is something else at play here otherwise VW would ship the pumps with the fitting already drilled to 5mm.

@Pudding yes, but I bought it that way.  When I thought I had ECU issues the ECU guy said it had definitely been mapped due to the 'count' but it was locked and he couldn't tell me who or which map is on there.  It does pull well and sooo much better now and I can accelerate hard now without worrying about the misfiring or sputtering.  The previous chap I bought it from  didn't have a clue and hadn't looked after it properly at all.

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #12484 on: August 29, 2022, 08:16:32 pm »
Quite a large task undertaken over the bank holiday…I’ve been trying to pinpoint a tapping from cold that goes away once warmed up. After loads of listening over the engine by ear and using an engine stethoscope, I still wasn’t able to figure out the exact cause but decided that it had to be one or more hydraulic tappets. So a full set of tappets and rockers later and I’m v happy that the engine is now dreamy! Really nice and quiet, even from cold start.

Only the one picture taken…just having put the new items in.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #12485 on: August 30, 2022, 10:00:04 am »
I did this, drilling out the restrictor on the fuel line and since I have the banjo bolt I just had to remove the rubber hose to access it.

Why? Because when I used to accelerate hard it would keep cutting out like fuel cuts were happening.   Over the last 9 months I had changed the in-tank fuel pump, the fuel pump, three oil changes, spark plugs, checked the coils, the cam follower and hpfp and I was still getting cut outs which felt like misfires.

But this little mod worked, thanks @ROH ECHT as I found on an american Golf forum.  I drilled it out to 4mm but now it pulls without any hesitation, spluttering, cut outs or misfiring, no matter which gear in. Unsure if any gain to be had by going 5mm, so I think I'll leave it as it is. Thanks again.

Is it remapped?  I can't help but think there is something else at play here otherwise VW would ship the pumps with the fitting already drilled to 5mm.

@Pudding yes, but I bought it that way.  When I thought I had ECU issues the ECU guy said it had definitely been mapped due to the 'count' but it was locked and he couldn't tell me who or which map is on there.  It does pull well and sooo much better now and I can accelerate hard now without worrying about the misfiring or sputtering.  The previous chap I bought it from  didn't have a clue and hadn't looked after it properly at all.

Ah OK, makes sense then as standard engines don't need the drilling action. Still makes me wonder why they restrict the fuel supply though.  Anyhooo, I'll drill mine out to 5mm as well then.  I think I went with 3mm and still get occasional HPFP pressure drops.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12486 on: August 30, 2022, 11:11:17 am »
Wipers packed up the other day so fitted a 2nd hand motor from v.a.g parts only £25 posted next day. Great service.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #12487 on: September 03, 2022, 09:41:48 am »
Fitted a HEL clutch line, but not had a chance to drive the car properly yet.

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12488 on: September 03, 2022, 02:33:15 pm »

:happy2:

Didn't know HEL made one! I've always preferred them over Goodridge etc.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12489 on: September 03, 2022, 02:40:38 pm »
Another tedious, yawn inducing job I've been putting off...... the crusty headlights.

It's quite the messy process!

I could have kept going with the polish to make it perfect, but quite honestly I got bored and stopped at this point, which is plenty good enough for me!

The passenger one for comparison, which I didn't do as I ran out of time and sanding discs :grin:  It doesn't look too bad in the pic but in real life it's pitted to hell with millions of stone chips, and has a slight brown/yellow haze.  I wouldn't have bothered doing this as I hate bodywork, but the hazing is so bad it really dulls the light output.

I used the 3M kit from Amazon and my advice to anyone considering this is, buy 2 kits and double, or triple the estimated time to do it as it's a proper chore of a job, even with a drill. The reason for 2 kits is because either VW or the previous owner caked the lights in clear coat, which needed the entire kit to do one light  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12490 on: September 03, 2022, 03:08:30 pm »
Quite a large task undertaken over the bank holiday…I’ve been trying to pinpoint a tapping from cold that goes away once warmed up. After loads of listening over the engine by ear and using an engine stethoscope, I still wasn’t able to figure out the exact cause but decided that it had to be one or more hydraulic tappets. So a full set of tappets and rockers later and I’m v happy that the engine is now dreamy! Really nice and quiet, even from cold start.

Good work  :happy2:  How much were the tappets?  One of mine taps for like, 3 or 4 seconds, occasionally on a cold start then shuts up.  Not worth replacing all 16 for that  :grin:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #12491 on: September 03, 2022, 08:01:54 pm »
Replaced the high level brake light using the smashing out method, thankfully all went smoothly.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #12492 on: September 03, 2022, 08:33:17 pm »

:happy2:

Yes. Very good quality but nothing else to compare it to

https://auto.helperformance.com/volkswagen-golf-mk5-all-models-2004-2010-flexible-braided-full-accumulator-delete-clutch-line
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #12493 on: September 03, 2022, 09:02:11 pm »

They will make anything you ask them

Offline Birchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #12494 on: September 03, 2022, 10:39:01 pm »

Good work  :happy2:  How much were the tappets?  One of mine taps for like, 3 or 4 seconds, occasionally on a cold start then shuts up.  Not worth replacing all 16 for that  :grin:

For the full set of tappets and rockers it worked out at a touch over £300. Having checked around, the best place I found was Bartek in Germany and that price was even with the import duty. TPS wanted nearly £500! For the size of the job, I’d put up with an occasional 3 or 4 second cold start tap lol. From inspecting the ones I took out, only 2 were sticking. But I ordered the new set before I had stripped it down. It’s actually surprised me how much quieter the engine is in general now, considering it was pretty quiet before once it was warmed up.