Make a donation

Author Topic: Splintering the Modifications  (Read 5897 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Splintering the Modifications
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:53 pm »

I doubt that doing this would cause conflict amongst this forum like it did on the 'other forum'. As people say above, the conflict over there was due to many other reasons, and the movement of topics was just the 'icing on the cake'.

Great idea VC, it gets my vote  :happy2:

....Exactly.

IIRC, what tipped people over the edge (which they were balancing on anyway) was that the Mods didn't say what they were doing - At least, if they did, it wasn't loud 'n clear enough. But it wasn't directly the Mods Hurdy and Phil's fault - they had their hands tied so to speak. So, communication is the key.

I bet if the site admin post a big enough notice saying words to the effect: "Hi guys, we think that everyone would benefit if we create xxxx areas for x,y,z and we ask you to bear with us and please accept that we may move some existing threads into these new areas. It's all part of our efforts to improve the site and make it an even better resource for all of us - Many Thanks" or similar....I bet that no-one will throw their toys out of their pram.

I'm just expressing my opinion as feedback for you and naturally will accept your decisions [after calling you all arseholes and sulking - Just joking].

Stealth is right that it doesn't want to be over complicated, but it needn't be if you work it out carefully.

HTH,
Robin

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:49:40 pm »
The problem is....its all well and good splintering sections into area related, however people will still predominantly post in the 'general' area - due to habit, or because they believe that is where their topic will get the most views/replies i.e. answer their query the most effectively.

Its almost as if to do this successfully, you need to remove a 'general gti related' chat section altogether - however it seems a bit drastic, and I think would really unbalance the forum.

Its a hard call, so I guess its all about finding that balance between completely changing the layout of the forum, and making something that works. Easier said than done........  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 12:16:51 am »
Evening All,

Thanks for all your feedback and keeping Mr Cat and the other mods on there toes in my absence.

I am still away for another few days and then will have a lot of "real" work to catch up with but I will definitely get the wheels in motion on this as I generally agree something needs to be done now to support to the future growth of the site.

The key message like has been said above is to keep it simple and easy to use/understand so any ideas suggestions are welcomed.

The first thing I will do it sort out a better new members guide to support this with so guide/simple guides on where to post relevant info and so details on why we may (from time to time) move some posts to more appropriate sections/areas.

As always please keep the feedback coming and let us know what you and don't like as it really does help to build this site into a great resource for everyone  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 09:39:26 am »

.........................help to build this site into a great resource for everyone  :happy2:

....^ :happy2: :smiley: :happy2: ^

Being a great RESOURCE is exactly what will keep this site ahead and very much alive and kicking.

Without any need to trash or criticise other sites, I find myself telling people that this is the strongest and best resource site for the Mk5 GTI.

Oh, and what gets learnt here will help build its Mk6GolfGTI sister site.

And if the 'R20T' comes out, a separate area on the Mk6 site might be considered.

[Now I really must return to the VAG Babes finishing my review on Remapping Brain] 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:44:17 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

matt a

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 07:02:22 pm »
I think part of the reason why people post in the wrong forums is that we dont have many sections, so breaking them down slightly may be a good idea (just dont go crazy with it!)

for the technical area I'd go:

Exterior
Interior
Engine
Drive train

Still straight forward, but gives a clear structure to post with in.

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 07:25:46 pm »
Hello Guys

I think you are all going a bit weavy here.... The internet is about Links. And these "links" are the way forward I feel in a situation like this.

In the MK5 General Section we have a Sticky thread called FAQ or whateva else you want.

Inside there we categorise the mods and guides... Then link them to guides and discussions posts that have already been made.

That way there is no moving, deleting or locking. Its less strain on the mods and its still extremely useful. Take a look at the VW Vortex guide. This is what I am talking about.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2374154

What you guys think of that idea?

I have to agree with TC. The whole ethos of this site was to correct the mistakes (For want of a better word) that the other forum had. And so far its working well.

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 07:31:17 pm »
Ok, Thanks for the feedback everyone.  :happy2:

We have some ideas on how to re-structure some of the sections now and a bit of maintenance time will be scheduled where the site will be off-line for a couple hours to complete some of this work.

This will be a gradual process as these things take time (and I do have a day job too  :P)

I will keep you all updated on progress and times when the site will be unavailable (this will be kept to a minimum).

Thanks,

SteveP

matt a

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 07:41:37 pm »
That's all very well Mike, but having a general and technical IMO doesn't work, it makes finding information and keeping track of things difficult. If you have a look in general atm there is threads covering everything from indicators to tyre choice to wheels, etc.

Im not saying lets break things down too much, as that is as ridiculous as having general forums, but they obvious choice would be to split it up into the main areas of the car as I said in my previous post.

I agree that the FAQ section works well on vortex as an archive, but lets face it, vortex is a pretty unruly beast with the shear amount of forums it has.

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:54 pm »
My concern then is that this forum is growing at a rapid pace.

The link set up works because there is no moving etc. Its all linked as is and it can very easily be split up. Like the Vortex version is set up into Exterior. Interior. Performance and then they have the relevant thread underneath. This does not take a degree in medical sciences to figure out... lol

If you move half the threads into a new section the actual General section (and others consequently) will not only become smaller but also it will get messy.. A bloke posts up a mod of his car and two days later it disappears into the Modifications section because its unique or nobody has seen it before.

I also feel that once a thread is moved there (To the section you talk about) it will become "lost". I think we want the threads to stay active dont you?

Also keep in mind... That Vortex guide is just for the MK5 section... Its not for the other makes, models and cars. We only have one brand and maybe 3 models here to cater for so keeping it tidy will be easy.

Im just throwing some thoughts around... What you think?

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
^^^As I've said before, keep it simple. Making hundreds of sections and child forums etc will only serve to confuse.

There's nothing wrong with a FAQ list eg oils, tyres etc to help newbs.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »
It doesnt have to be a FAQ.

It can be:

MK5 Guide - All you need to know
Modifications - Need Help or inspiration

Etc etc etc