Make a donation

Author Topic: Motech mapped DSG 'hesitation' after gear change - FIXED. R-TECH Reign supreme  (Read 60700 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
A bit of thread resurrection!

I hadn't realised the thread had a slightly later follow up.

jedi-knight83 - glad you've managed to partially resolve your issues.  :happy2:

I've logged mine more since this thread was started and the torque limiting is definitely not as simple as pure peak torque lopping, as suggested by my map supplier. My map supplier when approached in person was certain that the post-shift dwell on my car is all down to the gearbox torque lopping, and I gave up pushing for the engine map to be resolved based upon what PDT said.

Wish I'd gone to a different code provider now; despite in most respects the map seeming okay, the shift-dwell has really soured the experience. :confused:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:57:21 pm by alackofspeed »

Offline heavyd

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
Strange considering they changed the map they did for my car when I had a 280lb/ft limit, they tweaked it and I ended up with a 330lb/ft limit?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
:
Wish I'd gone to a different code provider now; despite in most respects the map seeming very good (certainly smooth and easy to modulate), the shift-dwell has really soured the experience. :confused:

Who's map is it, there's no reason to hide their details imo, you've not slagged them off or anything just had an issue that they can't seem to resolve.  You could save someone else having the same issues.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
my issue is still not solved but my car is currently in the garage with other issues. While its in though Im having new coil packs, n75 valve, sparks and will re asses the issue when its back.

Next step though is to go back to Motech and take the ECU out to check that part number is what the diagnostics machine thinks it is.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
i have this with revo 2+ map on ko3....thought it was normal!

PDT do all revo dealers know about this? ie if i was to go back to awesome gti is there a different map they have been told to use?

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Revo Software has no issues, The only software I see with this issue is from smaller independant tuners.

I have had 2 cars with this issue on our own map, Keano on here was one of them but after a few hours we got it solved. ECU was limiting torque and shift was delayed, DSG cars have more maps for torque limitation than manuals, its just a matter of finding them.

Have never had a Revo tune cause this problem.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
Revo Software has no issues, The only software I see with this issue is from smaller independant tuners.

I have had 2 cars with this issue on our own map, Keano on here was one of them but after a few hours we got it solved. ECU was limiting torque and shift was delayed, DSG cars have more maps for torque limitation than manuals, its just a matter of finding them.

Have never had a Revo tune cause this problem.

Its not the shift that is delayed. The shift is instant. But it then takes .5 of a second for the boost to kick back in.

Like I said though I drove Motechs own car and there was no such 'hesitation' after the gear change.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
To be clear the torque limit I have issue with is the post up-shift torque dwell, not the in gear element. The peak torque on a dyno run is still being modulated by the DSG gearbox (which I accept) at around 280 lb/ft.

I will draw a crude graph to show what I mean.

The reason it bugs me is that it totally negates the benefit of the DSG - I'm far from a driving legend, but the torque interuption I introduce when shifting my manaul track car is seemingly less noticeable, though I've not quantified this with a Vbox or similar. I know from driving the other day with a friend in a fairly spirited manner, that when my car changes gear he pulls on me in a way that shouldn't happen.

As I exhausted conversation (a while ago) regarding the map being the cause the torque-dwell, I don't mind disclosing that it is a Shark map on my car, as Heavyd has eluded to.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:34:26 pm by alackofspeed »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Two DSG cars with the same issue using the same map IMO proves it must be the map.

I also wouldnt be happy with torque staying at 280lbft.  Whats the point of having stage 2+ if the torque is lopped off at 280lbft.  Thats stage 1 territory

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Not sure if I mentioned it, but mine is a STG 1. 280lb/ft of torque is fine..... if it was delivered properly after a gear change. As it is, it ramps in for about 0.5 seconds post gearchange. It's most notable on part throttle or you manually change at high torque (say 4000rpm).

PDT has been very forthcoming with offline conversations on the matter. With a bit of luck I'll get it sorted.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
Thats not so bad then (thought you were stage 2+)

Still, it makes it pointless going up the modification ladder any further with this as an issue

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Thats not so bad then (thought you were stage 2+)

Still, it makes it pointless going up the modification ladder any further with this as an issue

It is not 'up the modification ladder'. The saying is down the slippery slope.  :rolleye:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
To be clear the torque limit I have issue with is the post up-shift torque dwell, not the in gear element. The peak torque on a dyno run is still being modulated by the DSG gearbox (which I accept) at around 280 lb/ft.

I will draw a crude graph to show what I mean.

The reason it bugs me is that it totally negates the benefit of the DSG - I'm far from a driving legend, but the torque interuption I introduce when shifting my manaul track car is seemingly less noticeable, though I've not quantified this with a Vbox or similar. I know from driving the other day with a friend in a fairly spirited manner, that when my car changes gear he pulls on me in a way that shouldn't happen.

As I exhausted conversation (a while ago) regarding the map being the cause the torque-dwell, I don't mind disclosing that it is a Shark map on my car, as Heavyd has eluded to.

perfect graph showing the issue.

AS soon as i get my car back I'll be back at Motech trying to sort the issue.. the good thing is they also seem committed to sorting it out and are not just telling me to live with it.

Saintsteve

That sounds just like my car was sent a Manual version map for a DSG car and it had that horrid gear/throttle pause.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
That sounds just like my car was sent a Manual version map for a DSG car and it had that horrid gear/throttle pause.

Quite possibly similar. I bet it felt much worse in an ED30 though!