Make a donation

Author Topic: The ECON button - What a confusing little thing  (Read 64034 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Re: The ECON button - What a confusing little thing
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 12:48:16 pm »
I'm going to confuse things a little more.

The GTI (UK model) has automatic climate control.  It's designed to work like this:

If you press 'auto' and set the desired temperature, the smurf inside your dashboard will switch on the air-con system if it thinks it needs it and directs the airflow around the cabin as it sees fit.  There are sensors in the cabin to monitor interior temperature.  If the temperature and humidity dictate, then air-con smurf may decide not to bring in the air-con (although, as far as I can tell, this is rare).  It will turn fan speed up and down to heat or cool the cabin temperature as quickly as possible.

Econ is one of the ways to override the automatic climate control and as others have already said, it stops the air-con compressor from kicking in.  Everything else will still work, but you may never chill the car to the desired temperature on a hot day by using ambient air.  Windscreen de-mist and the directional buttons are other over-rides.  You can speed up the chilling of a car by using the recirculating button, which works by sending the air you've already chilled back round again and again.  Don't leave this feature on for too long - the lack of fresh air may make you drowsy.  A bit like reading to the bottom of this reply, I guess.
:grin:
I think you are bang on m8... Although I think it will only stay in recirc for a set time...

Is it possible that the control panel has been changed to the later type but someone has fitted the older type knob that has Econ on it instead of AC ...

I think a little experimentation is in order (just to clarify, with the control unit...  :wink: ). I thought if you swap out the panel for an A/C one you had to swap some other stuff too...? I dunno.

I will see if I can get it to blow truly cold air on the way home this evening, if not I will have to go for an AirCon service  :fighting: Expensive!

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 06:31:18 pm »

The GTI (UK model) has automatic climate control.  It's designed to work like this:

If you press 'auto' and set the desired temperature, the smurf inside your dashboard will switch on the air-con system if it thinks it needs it and directs the airflow around the cabin as it sees fit.  There are sensors in the cabin to monitor interior temperature.  If the temperature and humidity dictate, then air-con smurf may decide not to bring in the air-con (although, as far as I can tell, this is rare).  It will turn fan speed up and down to heat or cool the cabin temperature as quickly as possible.

Econ is one of the ways to override the automatic climate control and as others have already said, it stops the air-con compressor from kicking in.  Everything else will still work, but you may never chill the car to the desired temperature on a hot day by using ambient air.  Windscreen de-mist and the directional buttons are other over-rides.  You can speed up the chilling of a car by using the recirculating button, which works by sending the air you've already chilled back round again and again.  Don't leave this feature on for too long - the lack of fresh air may make you drowsy.  A bit like reading to the bottom of this reply, I guess.
I think you are bang on m8... Although I think it will only stay in recirc for a set time...

Is it possible that the control panel has been changed to the later type but someone has fitted the older type knob that has Econ on it instead of AC ...

I think a little experimentation is in order (just to clarify, with the control unit...  :wink: ). I thought if you swap out the panel for an A/C one you had to swap some other stuff too...? I dunno.

I will see if I can get it to blow truly cold air on the way home this evening, if not I will have to go for an AirCon service  :fighting: Expensive!

Just a thought... as it seems to be working like it should have the AC button.

Offline manc01

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:48 pm »
I have ECON button, its 56 plate. When its lit up the AC is not working, when the light is off then AC working. This was also confirmed by VW tech, for whats it worth, as I had to get my compressor changed, luckily under warranty.. :smiley:

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »
wish id of pressed "econ" when having car dyno'd, might of got another horse or 2   :evilgrin:
Fun bags

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
Would it be possible for it to blow warmer air on the aircon setting if the gas was out or the pump was broken? I ask because the difference between econ and non-econ is very minimal, with the econ mode on being a couple degrees cooler.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline matmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
    • Derpage - Urban Exploration Photography
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,112764.0.html
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 06:28:40 pm »
I cant believe I have gone nearly two months without figuring out the Econ button is the Aircon button lol
My Urban exploration photography website www.derpage.com

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 08:56:52 pm »

The GTI (UK model) has automatic climate control.  It's designed to work like this:

If you press 'auto' and set the desired temperature, the smurf inside your dashboard will switch on the air-con system if it thinks it needs it and directs the airflow around the cabin as it sees fit.  There are sensors in the cabin to monitor interior temperature.  If the temperature and humidity dictate, then air-con smurf may decide not to bring in the air-con (although, as far as I can tell, this is rare).  It will turn fan speed up and down to heat or cool the cabin temperature as quickly as possible.

Econ is one of the ways to override the automatic climate control and as others have already said, it stops the air-con compressor from kicking in.  Everything else will still work, but you may never chill the car to the desired temperature on a hot day by using ambient air.  Windscreen de-mist and the directional buttons are other over-rides.  You can speed up the chilling of a car by using the recirculating button, which works by sending the air you've already chilled back round again and again.  Don't leave this feature on for too long - the lack of fresh air may make you drowsy.  A bit like reading to the bottom of this reply, I guess.

I think a little experimentation is in order (just to clarify, with the control unit...  :wink: ). I thought if you swap out the panel for an A/C one you had to swap some other stuff too...? I dunno.

I will see if I can get it to blow truly cold air on the way home this evening, if not I will have to go for an AirCon service  :fighting: Expensive!

I would suggest getting an aircon service as if you run without gas you may damage the compressor and that would end up being much more expensive
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:03 pm »
Matt, econ ISN'T the air con on
Fun bags

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 09:51:42 pm »
I cant believe I have gone nearly two months without figuring out the Econ button is the Aircon button lol

Econ lit - aircon off
Econ unlit - aircon ON.

Ive had both versions (and 05 and now a 58) and I dont understand why they didnt do it the AC way from the start!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)