Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 495696 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #960 on: May 17, 2009, 10:38:48 pm »
Out of interest where abouts did you get the r1r's from? because I can't find a living sole that sells them?

Luke

Thats just a pic from the net, there not for sale in the UK for a while yet..

Also the pic of the wheels is the same, they are someone else's wheels, mine should be all ordered up tomorrow!! :laugh:

Ahh explains it then, the tyre fitters I went to see today didn't have any idea when they were expecting to have them on the system but form what they have been told there's not a lot out there that would be able to touch them pound for pound.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #961 on: May 17, 2009, 10:46:11 pm »
Out of interest where abouts did you get the r1r's from? because I can't find a living sole that sells them?

Luke

Thats just a pic from the net, there not for sale in the UK for a while yet..

Also the pic of the wheels is the same, they are someone else's wheels, mine should be all ordered up tomorrow!! :laugh:

Ahh explains it then, the tyre fitters I went to see today didn't have any idea when they were expecting to have them on the system but form what they have been told there's not a lot out there that would be able to touch them pound for pound.

Luke

R1R is a more road biased tyre than the R888 so for pure performance the R888 should out perform them in theory, but I dont know if that will be the case..

Im tempted to try a set of A048R from Yokohama, they seem pretty good..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #962 on: May 18, 2009, 01:50:12 pm »
Think i'll be popping down to Inters on the sunday JC to have a butchers and cheer on the Mk5 lads.. As for the strip, you'll have the Mk5 Golf section well and truely in the bag, but depending on what turns up for the FWD crown that's another battle all together (Jabba's Mk2 Golf will take some beating  :scared:)..
Looking forward to seeing the new additions though bud as she seems to be coming along nicely..

Oh and them rims..  :drool:

Well I want to have the fastest FWD 2.0T FSI, that is the main goal.. Then fastest MK5 obviously will almost be part of that as at the moment the fastest FWD 2.0T FSI cars are mainly MK5's..

The fastest FWD car will be a bit of a mission! Although I doubt that MK2 runs on road fuel or tyres does it??

Re. the wide tyres, won't there be a drag issue caused by the amount of rubber that's in contact with the tarmac?

The only issue will be launching it from high enough revs such that it doesn't bog down on the start..  :evilgrin:
Mate I should think you'll have the 2.0 TFSI honours well and truely in the bag. Unless Big Andy is attending/running and has made some changes/more mods and also got another driver?  :grin: As that car will always have the traction advantage, if launched right and Brunters surface isn't the best as mine suffered last year. Still think you'll own it though..  :wink:
As for the big boys in the FWD class, you're right, they aint exactly 'Road Trim'..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #963 on: May 18, 2009, 01:52:23 pm »
Think i'll be popping down to Inters on the sunday JC to have a butchers and cheer on the Mk5 lads.. As for the strip, you'll have the Mk5 Golf section well and truely in the bag, but depending on what turns up for the FWD crown that's another battle all together (Jabba's Mk2 Golf will take some beating  :scared:)..
Looking forward to seeing the new additions though bud as she seems to be coming along nicely..

Oh and them rims..  :drool:

Well I want to have the fastest FWD 2.0T FSI, that is the main goal.. Then fastest MK5 obviously will almost be part of that as at the moment the fastest FWD 2.0T FSI cars are mainly MK5's..

The fastest FWD car will be a bit of a mission! Although I doubt that MK2 runs on road fuel or tyres does it??

Re. the wide tyres, won't there be a drag issue caused by the amount of rubber that's in contact with the tarmac?

The only issue will be launching it from high enough revs such that it doesn't bog down on the start..  :evilgrin:
Mate I should think you'll have the 2.0 TFSI honours well and truely in the bag. Unless Big Andy is attending/running and has made some changes/more mods and also got another driver?  :grin: As that car will always have the traction advantage, if launched right and Brunters surface isn't the best as mine suffered last year. Still think you'll own it though..  :wink:
As for the big boys in the FWD class, you're right, they aint exactly 'Road Trim'..

Andy will be there, and he was telling me that he has the starts nailed now, that car should be able to run 11's I think.. Just have to see if he can launch it hard enough to use the traction advantage..

Regal will be there too, along with some other big power 2.0T FSI's for sure, its not going to be easy but should be fun to see how everyone lines up!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #964 on: May 18, 2009, 02:00:55 pm »
Well Regal never seem to perform when it comes to it IMO and their/your white Golf seems to be no quicker than mine was (unless there is any new mods since the other month) and yours is in another leaugue to what mine is/was..
I just think unless there is a big powered S3 their (like 450+bhp) with a good driver, you'll take it. As even though you will have it on the roll, it just depends on how far ahead the S3 gets away from you off the line and whether there is enough time to catch it..   :scared:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #965 on: May 18, 2009, 02:02:33 pm »
Well Regal never seem to perform when it comes to it IMO and their/your white Golf seems to be no quicker than mine was (unless there is any new mods since the other month) and yours is in another leaugue to what mine is/was..
I just think unless there is a big powered S3 their (like 450+bhp) with a good driver, you'll take it. As even though you will have it on the roll, it just depends on how far ahead the S3 gets away from you off the line and whether there is enough time to catch it..   :scared:

Well I have a lot of little tricks up my sleeve to try and get a couple more tenths off the time for GTI.. Only problem is that its all costing A LOT more now each time I do something lol..

Diminishing returns and all that stuff!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #966 on: May 18, 2009, 02:09:00 pm »
Few more tricks??? I bet you'll have a jacket like a wizard's sleeve on the day knowing you..  :grin:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #967 on: May 18, 2009, 02:26:15 pm »
I think someone will need a jet engine sticking out of the back of their GTI to beat Jonny :signLOL:

OOOPS....gotta go.....RAF on the phone :innocent: :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #968 on: May 18, 2009, 02:32:06 pm »

doesn't matter about catching it or not.  Time doesn't start until u trip the starting beam. so you should just make sure you have the right revs to launch it at the right time, not when they change from red light to green light. 

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #969 on: May 18, 2009, 02:47:11 pm »

doesn't matter about catching it or not.  Time doesn't start until u trip the starting beam. so you should just make sure you have the right revs to launch it at the right time, not when they change from red light to green light. 
Yeah I know mate, but FWD vs 4WD on a gravelly type surface is only going to produce one winner when getting off the mark (1st gear) is concerned.. But once traction is in hand JC's is going to take some beating..

Offline tomoc2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #970 on: May 18, 2009, 04:21:46 pm »
Yeah he was wondering why you kept backing off  :confused:  :signLOL:

Loving the sound of the update mate-looking forward to it!!!!

oh and may be we should organise a little convoy down to gti international as am going to go down on the sunday

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #971 on: May 18, 2009, 07:23:36 pm »
I think someone will need a jet engine sticking out of the back of their GTI to beat Jonny :signLOL:

OOOPS....gotta go.....RAF on the phone :innocent: :laugh:

Lol, you almost have the same spec on yours now.. If your not in the 12's then ill be surprised mate  :smiley: Although, it does depend just how bad the traction off the line is.. Do they let you burn out before the start?

Yeah I know mate, but FWD vs 4WD on a gravelly type surface is only going to produce one winner when getting off the mark (1st gear) is concerned.. But once traction is in hand JC's is going to take some beating..

Put it this way, if it was a race from a 20mph roll then I would be very confident lol..

Yeah he was wondering why you kept backing off  :confused:  :signLOL:

Loving the sound of the update mate-looking forward to it!!!!

oh and may be we should organise a little convoy down to gti international as am going to go down on the sunday

Sounds good mate, let me know closer to the time what the plans are.. Ill be leaving early, need to be there from 9 ish really  :confused:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #972 on: May 18, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
Although, it does depend just how bad the traction off the line is.. Do they let you burn out before the start?
Afraid not mate...   :sad:
Biggest factor will be if it's windy or not, as last year was horrendous..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #973 on: May 18, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »
Although, it does depend just how bad the traction off the line is.. Do they let you burn out before the start?
Afraid not mate...   :sad:
Biggest factor will be if it's windy or not, as last year was horrendous..

They dont let you at all!!?? Great.. Well thats me fu**ed then!

Offline Toast

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 3
  • Oot n By all the Keyboard Warriors
« Reply #974 on: May 18, 2009, 10:30:17 pm »
I've saw them let people warm there tyre's up the last 2 year's that I've been down :happy2:
Editon 30, no-0472-, 1/4mile 13.6sec@Crail-Giac 348bhp,345lbsft,Milltek tbe,s3 Cooler,Helix single mass clutch kit,Eibach Coilovers,Bsh Cold Air Intake , Autotech HPFP,s3 brakes,Speedline Turini's,Xenons