Make a donation

Author Topic: clutch needed for a stage 2+ k03??  (Read 7650 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: clutch needed for a stage 2+ k03??
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:35 am »
Standard fuel pump is plenty good enough for k03 car dude, the upgrade pumps are more for the k04 set ups if you want to surpass the 300bhp barrier, k03's aren't good for 300bhp+ so no need for upgrade pump.. Other bits sound good though  :happy2:

Really? On r tech's site they say the mid range can be massivly improved with an upgraded hpfp??

You'll need a HPFP for stage2+. A HPFP is even a benefit on a stock car!  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 08:30:30 am »
You'll need a HPFP for stage2+. A HPFP is even a benefit on a stock car!  :happy2:

Thank god for that, I thought for a second inhave just wasted alot on money haha

Offline Jay75

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: 06 plate golf gti ko3
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:18 am »
Ok dude, if that's what they say I am no one to argue! It's just that With all that extra fuel pressure and extra air you will be working the smaller turbo very hard, but I suppose it's all down to your right foot if you know what I mean!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:19 am »
Defo do the clutch first.  I didn't and it consequently slipped on the dyno, skewing the results.

Defo fit a pump.  My original one (Ed30) was only able to supply enough fuel for 280hp and with the Lambda adjustment maxed out (+25%).   This is why a dyno tune is so important.  With a generic flash you won't know if your pump is up to the job unless you data log the rail pressure afterwards, and not everyone has VCDS.  On the dyno you can monitor rail pressure on the fly, which is far safer.

Interestingly, a lot of MK6s and 7s seem to be throwing rail pressure fault codes when mapped, and similarly, new standard pumps on mapped MK5s do the same.  VW must have done something to them as with the older cars, some are fine past 300hp, some aren't.  Do the pump anyway and forget it!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jay75

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: 06 plate golf gti ko3
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 08:39:21 am »
I can only speak for myself buddy, I don't see the point of it personally. If money's no object to you and you want to squeeze every drop of power you can from the ko3 then do it. I think people get a bit carried away with stage this and stage that, it's just a way tuners can sell their services with set prices and appeal to customers more. All that's really needed for great gains on a ko3 is a turbo back exhaust with sports cat, (which will sound great) a decent cold air intake (which will also sound great)  and a decent map, and if it's not mapped to its absolute limits your standard hardware is fine. Decent tyres with the right pressure, stiffer suspension and maybe a sports front engine mount will all add to the overall performance and you'll have a quick car without worrying about eating clutches and smoking turbo's. Then there's the fact that you've paid out hundreds of pounds on a fuel pump and you can only ever have 10% of its potential! It's just my opinion dude and I do admit I'm a bit of a square when it comes to the old cost to gain ratio... Feel free to rubbish my thoughts people, I really don't mind  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:42:25 am by Jay75 »

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 07:17:12 pm »
Maybe a silly question but would a stage 2 k03 require an uprated clutch? If not I may sell my loba hpfp

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:29 pm »
I can only speak for myself buddy, I don't see the point of it personally. If money's no object to you and you want to squeeze every drop of power you can from the ko3 then do it. I think people get a bit carried away with stage this and stage that, it's just a way tuners can sell their services with set prices and appeal to customers more. All that's really needed for great gains on a ko3 is a turbo back exhaust with sports cat, (which will sound great) a decent cold air intake (which will also sound great)  and a decent map, and if it's not mapped to its absolute limits your standard hardware is fine. Decent tyres with the right pressure, stiffer suspension and maybe a sports front engine mount will all add to the overall performance and you'll have a quick car without worrying about eating clutches and smoking turbo's. Then there's the fact that you've paid out hundreds of pounds on a fuel pump and you can only ever have 10% of its potential! It's just my opinion dude and I do admit I'm a bit of a square when it comes to the old cost to gain ratio... Feel free to rubbish my thoughts people, I really don't mind  :signLOL:

What Jay has said does sound like  sense to me. The K03 cannot supply air volume anything like the K04, the K04 only needs a pump at stage 2+ which is around 340bhp upwards. Bearing in mind to make power you need fuel and air in a certain ratio, why would a K03 providing less air than a K04 need more fuel ?.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:41 pm »
You're all forgetting that the pump is driven mechanically by the engine. Whilst the standard pump can supply fuel for 360hp at 6000 rpm, at 3000 rpm it can only make half that. (Or thereabouts)

On a K03, going stage 2+ allows more torque and more grunt below 4k rpm. Above that I couldn't really notice a difference. Not the same bang for your buck compared to a K04 but it's certainly not a waste.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Madone

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:00 pm »
You're all forgetting that the pump is driven mechanically by the engine. Whilst the standard pump can supply fuel for 360hp at 6000 rpm, at 3000 rpm it can only make half that. (Or thereabouts)

On a K03, going stage 2+ allows more torque and more grunt below 4k rpm. Above that I couldn't really notice a difference. Not the same bang for your buck compared to a K04 but it's certainly not a waste.

I'm still not quite understanding the logic, the pump is mechanically driven, so say for example at 3000rpm it produces 40bar, as it is mechanically driven it will always produce 40, that is fixed by the pump being driven by the camshaft. Now at 3000rpm the ecu wants 30 bar, the electronic valves in the pump give 30 to the rail, the rest is bled off I assume. Now a stock pump can deliver enough fuel to support a stage 2 k04 at 2000, 3000, 4000 etcrpm, which on stage 2 will produce more midrange and top end power than a k03 in any state of tune, so if it can support a k04 delivering more air everywhere than a K03 how can the same pump not support a K03 delivering less air and thus power and torque throughout the Rev range ?. As jay said he will have a pump producing say 50bar at 3000rpm but the tune will only ever need 30bar for example, which both the stock and updated pump can both deliver. So he's never going to demand more from a new pump than the stock one can produce. all be it on a minute scale a uprated pump will require more pumping force and therefore power from the engine via the camshaft. It will take more power to drive the uprated pump. Prob a negligible loss but we all know what difference turning on the air conditioning pump does to the mpg. But I don't see any reason to use engine power to pump fuel at a pressure you will never use, not to mention the cost of the pump.... :jumping:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 09:00:27 pm by Madone »

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 05:32:10 pm »
Going by all this argument I gather t uprated clutch would be needed whether I have a loba hpfp or standard?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:44 pm »
^^^^ Plan and budget for an Organic clutch but wait till you've had your car mapped to see if she slips, if your lucky you may be ok.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 06:35:30 pm »
^^^^ Plan and budget for an Organic clutch but wait till you've had your car mapped to see if she slips, if your lucky you may be ok.

:happy2:
Could it not end up slipping during the mapping process therefore not being able to be mapped correctly?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 08:50:55 pm »

I'm still not quite understanding the logic, the pump is mechanically driven, so say for example at 3000rpm it produces 40bar, as it is mechanically driven it will always produce 40, that is fixed by the pump being driven by the camshaft. Now at 3000rpm the ecu wants 30 bar, the electronic valves in the pump give 30 to the rail, the rest is bled off I assume. Now a stock pump can deliver enough fuel to support a stage 2 k04 at 2000, 3000, 4000 etcrpm, which on stage 2 will produce more midrange and top end power than a k03 in any state of tune, so if it can support a k04 delivering more air everywhere than a K03 how can the same pump not support a K03 delivering less air and thus power and torque throughout the Rev range ?. As jay said he will have a pump producing say 50bar at 3000rpm but the tune will only ever need 30bar for example, which both the stock and updated pump can both deliver. So he's never going to demand more from a new pump than the stock one can produce. all be it on a minute scale a uprated pump will require more pumping force and therefore power from the engine via the camshaft. It will take more power to drive the uprated pump. Prob a negligible loss but we all know what difference turning on the air conditioning pump does to the mpg. But I don't see any reason to use engine power to pump fuel at a pressure you will never use, not to mention the cost of the pump.... :jumping:

If you look at stage 2 ed30, it is only making big power at the top of the Rev range where that pump can shift the volume of fuel.

Niki @ R-Tech explained to me that the stock HPFP could flow enough fuel for 400bhp, however it would need 9,000RPM+ to do it  :signLOL:

K04 is massively restricted in the mid range with the stock HPFP which is why most stage 1 graphs typically follow the stock curves. My old Stage 1.5 ed30 was only using 55% of the turbo in the mid range - because of the stock HPFP.
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 08:02:48 am »

It's not peak airflow numbers, you need to look at airflow at a given RPM. The K03 kicks in a lot earlier than a K04, at a part of the RPM range where the pump will/does struggle to deliver enough fuel. With Stage2+ on my K03 i'm able to run more boost pressure at lower RPM (below 4k rpm) than i could at stage 2, as i now have the fuel to go with it, as i can now run 130 BAR of fuel pressure (opposed to 110BAR), as the HPFP can keep up. My baby K03 now runs pretty much flat out the entire RPM range and is very much the limiting factor of my setup.

If you are worried about bang for buck, or ££££ per HP, then no a HPFP is not the way to go. In my opinion, WMI is a much bigger benefit and the kit is half the cost of a Loba HPFP. All depends what you want from your setup, i wanted to max out the K03 as far as possible so i went 2+.

The point i was making is that it isn't a complete waste, but it is only beneficial at lower RPM, as above 4k rpm the airflow demands can be matched with fuel by the OE pump. On a K04 this doesn't happen until much higher in the RPM range, so the K04 is much more compromsied and for a much larger RPM range.

Would be useful if Niki could drop i nto explain as i'm sure he will explain it much better than i can
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 03:34:35 pm »
Standard pump can do the pressure but not the flow. 

Peak boost and cylinder fill occurs in the midrange, which is why you need the full meat from both pumps in that all important 3 - 5.5K rev band.   You don't need as much fuel at the top end as you do in the midrange.

This is precisely what Loba and APR address with their pumps.  More flow.  My Loba is run @ 115 bar to make 340hp (Ed30), but my stock pump threw the towel in at 300hp, running @ 130 bar.  My tuner has done numerous TFSIs and some are OK with the standard pump, some aren't.  There's no rhyme or reason to it!  So it's best to try a live map (whilst monitoring the lambda and rail pressure channels) and see what gives. If you need a pump, you need a pump.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D