Make a donation

Author Topic: Diesel sounding GTI FSI-T Mk5 :(  (Read 27209 times)

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Diesel sounding GTI FSI-T Mk5 :(
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
If you can, find out the total price of all parts for the camshaft adjuster and what parts they changed (e.g. new camshaft chain needed?)

Was all done under warranty, so I got no documentation to show..  I will email them and see if there is anything I can obtain.
2005 Gti - 5dr, DSG, Black
2003 Toyota MR2 Roadster, Chilli Red
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 03:59:53 pm »
Any idea what the costs might be on something like this? I'll be changing my follower soon but I'm just thinking if the chain and tensioner need doing might aswell do it in one go

To be honest if it's not causing an issue might be ok to leave it until it does..  If it is making a noise then the price can be changed big time if the adjuster needs changing (think this is a £250+ part)..  The kit with the tensioner and chain is around £150 odd+ then you have the labour of 3 to 4 hours.  Could end up being expensive  :fighting:

I can start to hear it more in the cabin now (I dunno if it's because my ears are more tuned to it as I've been reading these threads or if it's actually happening!) I'll start with the follower and see how I get on...

Offline thehayster

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:25 am »
I really didnt want to re-visit this invoice but here it is anyway. The morale of the story is dont drive it hard when its cold.

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:37 am »
I really didnt want to re-visit this invoice but here it is anyway. The morale of the story is dont drive it hard when its cold.

That invoice needs burning!  :signLOL: - Ouch...

The Cam Adjuster is a horrible price.
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2015, 09:44:08 pm »
 :scared:
Dam !!! just had my noise diagnosed as cam chain too looks like it's gonna be expensive!

Not to best pleased only had the car 3 weeks not be able to enjoy yet.
Like the op said when i test drove it was quiet it was only on the 200 mile journey home i thought sh*t that dont sound right!
Cant wait to have it done so i can start to enjoy the car just worry about the dsg then lol

Offline MrACD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2015, 11:01:49 pm »
:scared:
Dam !!! just had my noise diagnosed as cam chain too looks like it's gonna be expensive!

Not to best pleased only had the car 3 weeks not be able to enjoy yet.
Like the op said when i test drove it was quiet it was only on the 200 mile journey home i thought sh*t that dont sound right!
Cant wait to have it done so i can start to enjoy the car just worry about the dsg then lol

Sorry to hear it! - It's a mine field to begin with, but got mine 95% all singing and dancing and enjoying it...

Did you buy private or from a trader (with warranty)??

Don't even go there with the DSG  :signLOL: :signLOL:
2005 Honda VFR800 Vtec

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2015, 11:14:27 pm »
Private!
I'm learning more things all the time about the mk5 gti didn't know they had so many common problems, trouble is they drive so bloody well.
Going to get the cam follower checked to at the time though it was changed 20k ago so hopefully might be ok.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2015, 10:25:25 am »
Private!
I'm learning more things all the time about the mk5 gti didn't know they had so many common problems, trouble is they drive so bloody well.
Going to get the cam follower checked to at the time though it was changed 20k ago so hopefully might be ok.

I'm in exactly the same position. Please let me know the outcome/bill! do you know if youre going to go with just the chain and tensioner, or are you going to get the expensive adjustor replaced as well? I'm tempted to just go chain and tensioner.

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2015, 04:35:59 pm »
Yeah no problem will do, my VAG independent is booked up for a while hopefully get it in within next couple of weeks.
I won't be using the car though don't want to risk it anymore then I have to.(luckily still have my old car at the mo)
Gonna do the lot with the adjuster don't won't to have to re do it, it's a lot of money the Mrs ain't happy!
 I'm hoping it's gonna be worth it.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2015, 10:48:44 pm »
Mine sounds like a diesel on idle. But then again so did my mk4 gti

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 09:18:09 am »
Yeah no problem will do, my VAG independent is booked up for a while hopefully get it in within next couple of weeks.
I won't be using the car though don't want to risk it anymore then I have to.(luckily still have my old car at the mo)
Gonna do the lot with the adjuster don't won't to have to re do it, it's a lot of money the Mrs ain't happy!
 I'm hoping it's gonna be worth it.

It does make sense to do the lot, I just think I wont be able to afford it! without the adjustor I still think it will be around 5-600.

Out of interest, did the guys who diagnosed it know straight away? I've heard a lot of VW technicians etc not really knowing about cam chain replacement etc.

Offline schmidt_vr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
I read a post once that a fella had his cam chain replaced and even still it sounded like a diesel. Saying that the TFSI are noisy engines on tick over.

I went to have a look at at TFSI MK5 once and when on idle if I rev'd the engine, the tappety noise got louder. I left it and walked away instantly.

I've known alot of the Mk5 TFSI engines to sound like diesels on idle, But soon as I rev the engines. the noise should go away. if it doesn't then you have a problem.

If you sit in the cabin and it sounds like a diesel, Rev the engine very slightly. if the diesel noise goes away then your fine.

Hope this clears stuff and puts your mind to ease.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:00:55 pm by schmidt_vr6 »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 12:01:38 pm »
I read a post once that a fella had his cam chain replaced and even still it sounded like a diesel. Saying that the TFSI are noisy engines on tick over.

I went to have a look at at TFSI MK5 once and when on idle if I rev'd the engine, the tappety noise got louder. I left it and walked away instantly.

I've known alot of the Mk5 TFSI engines to sound like diesels on idle, But soon as I rev the engines. the noise should go away. if it doesn't then you have a problem.

Hope this clears stuff and puts your mind to ease.

That's interesting. The noise on mine does disappear when you rev the engine. However, I think there have been others who have had the diesel noise at idle, which DOES disappear when revved, but they have then replaced the chain,tensioner,adjustor and the noise disappears... @dazza ?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:47:57 pm by Peskyjones »

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 01:34:50 pm »
These engines are noisy but the cam chain noise is different. If people listened to mine they would probably say it sounds like a diesel.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Gmaster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 04:48:26 pm »
Just got car back from service ... Seems even noisy now with fresh oil!!
Yep said straight away it was cam chain I'm paranoid as hell at the moment it might jump/snap etc
Drove home like miss daisy ... Parking it up for couple of weeks till it goes in to have the cam done.
You can hear mine from in the cabin on idle sounds just like a Diesel!!
I know these engines are not the quietest but I'm expected it to be a fair bit quieter when done.
To be honest I can't afford to replace adjustor as well but gonna put on credit card just one of those things I want to make sure it's 100%.