Make a donation

Author Topic: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!  (Read 37568 times)

Offline MK1Campaign

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »
Update:

Just rang both garage and insurers and the news is neither bad nor good.

The garage say they have not accessed it yet as the insurance company has halted the claim due to unforeseen modifications!

I then rang the insurers who tell me this is a standard process and the underwriters will be accessing the claim within the next few days.

I then asked that if they did find undeclared mods that the claim would be void, but they assured me it will not, and all that will happen is that i shall have to pay the additional premium on my future insurance payments for the current mods.

So i'm fairly happy with that.

All i have to hope now is that they do not right it off...:(

This 1.0l fiesta i have as a hire car is sh*t slow and as i am 6 foot 6, it's not exactly spacious!

I hope your mods were declared. You'll be in deep sh*t otherwise.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »
Update:

The garage say they have not accessed it yet as the insurance company has halted the claim due to unforeseen modifications!

I then rang the insurers who tell me this is a standard process and the underwriters will be accessing the claim within the next few days.

I then asked that if they did find undeclared mods that the claim would be void, but they assured me it will not, and all that will happen is that i shall have to pay the additional premium on my future insurance payments for the current mods.

Undeclared modifications (depends on what they are & how many) will most likely result in your claim being refused - I hope thats not the case for you - have you been insured with this company/broker long? have you got a good relationship/reputation with them? all things that will support your claim.

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 07:10:47 pm »
You're very lucky they aren't saying anything about the mods as some insurance companies will cancel your policy and you get diddly squat.  :happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 12:35:46 pm »
If you have undeclared modifications then you, frankly, deserve to have the claim not paid. Many of us pay extra to have our modifications applied to our insurance. If you can't afford the mods for insurance you shouldn't be modding them.

Some insurers will allow you to retrospectively pay, in the case of minor mods for example and exhaust or an air filter. Some don't.
But if you have bodykits, wheels, air ride, retrimmed bucket seats etc, then they'll just cover third party costs and you'll be left with a damaged vehicle.

Also if they do decide to cancel your claim you may be liable for the costs of the courtesy car and it won't be at the normal 45 quid a day you'd pay for such a car....more like 145 quid a day.

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:54 pm »
I don't think it's particularly wise to admit online you have undeclared mods. If they find them they will more than likely cancel the policy and may well report it as insurance fraud. Personally id edit or delete this thread. As Xjay says we all pay extra to cover our mods, I'm not sure why you think you don't have to.

Nothing personal.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 07:35:40 pm »
I'm with these guys ^

It's a bit naughty.

Good that nobody was hurt though.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 07:37:46 pm »
There must be 100 's of thousands that don't declare mods  :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:44 pm »
They should stick to cars and modifications they can afford then.

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:02 pm »
I have the following upgraded on my GTI:

MFD2 > RNS 510 with Kuftatec bluetooth
Standard front and rear GTI valances > Ed 30 front and rear valances
Mk6 OEM rear parking sensors added
OEM xenons added
Ed30 Pescaras all around

I haven't declared any of them because they were all OEM upgrades largely. Should I have?

Will be doing a Stage 1 map later this year when I find an insurer that supports mods at a reasonable price.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 11:39:30 pm »
Thats thing AJP they can afford to modify um but not declare the mods  :signLOL:

When I replaced my 7 spoke OEM alloys for a genuine set of tt 9 spoke alloys and told the insurance company, they said as long as they are OEM parts then it's not classed as a modified car but anything aftermarket is a mod and needs to be declared.  :happy2: oh and to add to that mod I fitted a V6 complete spoiler,  Votex bumper spoiler too. It was at the insurance approved repairer who tried to cock and bull me into being worried about these but I'd already declared these to the insurance company who didn't charge any extra  :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:42:43 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 01:55:43 am »
the thing with insurance companys is they will look for any excuse not to pay the full amount of what a car is worth if its writen of etc--on the safe side all my mods on my car are declared then it doesn't give them that excuse

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 02:54:09 am »
the thing with insurance companys is they will look for any excuse not to pay the full amount of what a car is worth if its writen of etc--on the safe side all my mods on my car are declared then it doesn't give them that excuse
Correct approach. Simple common sense.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 03:07:03 am »
Thats thing AJP they can afford to modify um but not declare the mods  :signLOL:

When I replaced my 7 spoke OEM alloys for a genuine set of tt 9 spoke alloys and told the insurance company, they said as long as they are OEM parts then it's not classed as a modified car but anything aftermarket is a mod and needs to be declared.  :happy2: oh and to add to that mod I fitted a V6 complete spoiler,  Votex bumper spoiler too. It was at the insurance approved repairer who tried to cock and bull me into being worried about these but I'd already declared these to the insurance company who didn't charge any extra  :smiley:
My point is, could they afford to modify them AND declare the mods? That's a rhetorical question by the way.

Many of the more affordable policies are the kind of mainstream insurers that run a mile when modifications are mentioned; demanding a massively inflated price or refusing to offer the cover at all. But for a standard car, they're cheap.

So plenty of people insure their car on the cheap as standard while keeping quiet about the extra 100bhp they've coaxed from it. Like I say, a bit naughty.

If someone can afford to modify a car AND declare the modifications, why wouldn't they declare the modifications, unless money was the issue?

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 09:30:33 am »
When I was 23 I was paying 675 a year on my GTI, that was an agreed value policy with like for like mod replacement, I had a power limit of 275 on the policy and everything declared from the air ride to the decat pipe to the little air lift sticker on the back window. that was 4 years no claims and 1 accident in 5 years (on the 5th year).

when I was 22 that it was £950 with all of the same modifications. - 3 years ncb / 1 accident

If I couldn't have afforded the insurance I would not have modified my car.
 My friend is 19 and has a Scirocco and is not allowed a remap by his insurance company so guess what he isn't getting a remap.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 10:10:07 am »
I have the following upgraded on my GTI:

MFD2 > RNS 510 with Kuftatec bluetooth
Standard front and rear GTI valances > Ed 30 front and rear valances
Mk6 OEM rear parking sensors added
OEM xenons added
Ed30 Pescaras all around

I haven't declared any of them because they were all OEM upgrades largely. Should I have?

Will be doing a Stage 1 map later this year when I find an insurer that supports mods at a reasonable price.

I'd say 99% of people changing these few bits wouldn't declare. Not because they're trying to be sly and not pay the extra premium but out of innocence. Put up a poll and find out  :signLOL:

Anyway, hope they don't mess you around. Had you increased the car to 400bhp and not declared I'd hope your car was a write off and you got nothing from it but your mods are only cosmetic and you don't deserve to have your claim made void! Good luck buddy!