Make a donation

Author Topic: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!  (Read 37645 times)

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!
« on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:31 pm »
So i ended up doing a 180 on the bristol ring road straight into the central reservation on sunday.

I had just had the sportlines fitted and was on a run to test them out, and as i was powering out of a corner the back end came around out of nowhere resulting in me crashing backwards into the central reservation.

Back bumper is all smashed up and one of the rear wheels is now pointing out on an angle.  I managed to drive it home but the back end was proper twitchy.

Has anyone fitted the sportlines onto standard shocks and had any issues like this?  My fitter had to fit 2 new top mounts as he said the others broke when fitting.  I sort of suspect they were fitted incorrectly or i hit some black ice or oil on the road.

Got a fiesta as a hire car now as it's in for repair.  Hopefully they won't right it off or find any mods i have not declared...:(

Bollox!
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline AJG09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • My Ride: 2005 mk5 golf 1.6 FSI
Re: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »
Sorry to hear that, what tyres you got?

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:02:32 pm »
Sport lines ? Wheels? Suspension?

This can happen if you've got new tyres up front and worn on the rear,is this possible?

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:04:07 pm »

This can happen if you've got new tyres up front and worn on the rear,is this possible?

Eibach Sportlines.

Tyres are as you say really.

New Goodyear eagle f1's on the front, half worn P-ZERO's on the back.
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 02:05:50 pm »
I don't reckon it was uprated springs on old dampers (unless they're shot), could have hit a patch of diesel or something.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 02:27:07 pm »

Eibach Sportlines.

Tyres are as you say really.

New Goodyear eagle f1's on the front, half worn P-ZERO's on the back.

Where you giving it some beans ?

New tyres should of been put on the rear.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:33:42 pm »
Probably driver error. Especially in the cold they can be a bit tail happy if you lift off in the middle of a corner. Not really the conditions to be hooning around.
Glad you are OK and car seems relatively damage free all things considered.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:39:22 pm »
Yes I can vary these cars can be tail happy in certain weather conditions as I've slid across one whole lane taking the corner a little too quickly and luckily I released the gas peddle too.

Glad you're ok and hope they don't find the mods.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »
I inadvertently drifted on a roundabout after I fitted brand new Eagle F1s to the front and had pretty old PS3s on the rear. As soon as I got home I swapped them round. My guess would be your problem was a combination of cold/damp roads, too much speed and tyres the wrong was round

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »
Glad you're okay, that's the main thing  :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:53:01 pm »
I had OEM shocks and Sportlines fitted when I bought my Ed. 30. I felt the car to be too harsh and bumpy going over even small creases. That's comparing with my GT Sport with Koni FSD, Eibach Pro-Kit, SuperPro ALK and the same sway bars as a GTI. The GT Sport was much more planted to the road and gave me a lot more confidence doing fast corners.

Sorted the problem with Koni Sport dampers, H&R -30 mm springs, SuperPro ALK and H&R sway bars. The car now turns really well and it's only harsh over much bigger creases.

If you hit a small bump in the road it was easy for the rear to hop a bit and mid corner that can be really dangerous. :scared:

I don't know how the Pirelli P-Zero are when half worn, the Eagle F1s Asys 2 handle well even when they're at the end of their life.

I'm glad you're ok and I hope you can have your car back on the road soon. :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 03:04:06 pm »
P zero are awful in the wet as they tend to become hard rubber from my experience. Haven't replaced the tyres on the gti yet as they've got plenty of meat but when I do, I'd like to fit Eagles on as they're great all year round.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:59 pm »
P zero are awful in the wet as they tend to become hard rubber from my experience. Haven't replaced the tyres on the gti yet as they've got plenty of meat but when I do, I'd like to fit Eagles on as they're great all year round.

They have discontinued the eagle F1's now mate, at least this is what the garage told me when i got mine a month of so ago.

All aseymetrics (sp) now.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 03:27:40 pm »

They have discontinued the eagle F1's now mate, at least this is what the garage told me when i got mine a month of so ago.

:surprised: what??? buggery...  :sad1: good tyres too  :sad1: had them on the tt and we're well grippy. :driver: :driver:

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »

:surprised: what??? buggery...  :sad1: good tyres too  :sad1: had them on the tt and we're well grippy. :driver: :driver:

I swear by them.

I had them on the impreza too and they were amazing in all conditions.

I had toyo proxy p1's on there before and the goodyears out performed them massively.