Make a donation

Author Topic: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!  (Read 37506 times)

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Bugger - Crashed the GTI on sunday!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 03:32:04 pm »
Sport lines ? Wheels? Suspension?

This can happen if you've got new tyres up front and worn on the rear,is this possible?

Eibach Sportlines.

Tyres are as you say really.

New Goodyear eagle f1's on the front, half worn P-ZERO's on the back.

Unlucky mate. Front end bites too much with your new tyres when turning, back end with poorer grip can't respond in kind, meaning the car pivots round.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 03:45:27 pm »
P zero are awful in the wet as they tend to become hard rubber from my experience. Haven't replaced the tyres on the gti yet as they've got plenty of meat but when I do, I'd like to fit Eagles on as they're great all year round.

They have discontinued the eagle F1's now mate, at least this is what the garage told me when i got mine a month of so ago.

All aseymetrics (sp) now.
:surprised: what??? buggery...  :sad1: good tyres too  :sad1: had them on the tt and we're well grippy. :driver: :driver:

I swear by them.

I had them on the impreza too and they were amazing in all conditions.

I had toyo proxy p1's on there before and the goodyears out performed them massively.
My previous tyres on the tt were a mix of Dunlop sp sport x 2 Dunlop sports maxx x 1 and an Avon. when I went all out with the Eagle F1 asymmetric 2 and was shocked by the difference in tyre grip and never looked back. Now the 3 are out so let's see how things go with funds.

Just checked online and they are still available

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl

Sorry that was the tt tyre size lol

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:48:06 pm by r5gtt »

4ndy

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »
supersoft uniroyal rainsport 3 will put a stop to all this malarkey (I think) :grin: :grin:  Camskill £75

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »
Think the garage meant they have stopped making the eagle f1 (the directional pattern) and only do the aysmetric 2's now. And just recently 3's :)

Think that's where the confusion has came from

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 07:17:56 pm »
Think the garage meant they have stopped making the eagle f1 (the directional pattern) and only do the aysmetric 2's now. And just recently 3's :)

I think so  :stupid: garage should explain it better  :signLOL:

Offline Martk19871

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 14
  • Va Va Voom
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100145.msg983012.html#msg983012
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »
Sheet  man, glad you're ok, could of been a lot worse

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 08:26:47 pm »
Glad you didn't suffer any injuries. Hope the car gets sorted.  :happy2:

Just out of interest; Were they "proper" P-Zero or P-Zero Rosso/Nero. I had a pair of Rosso on the front of my GTI when I got it. At around half wear they behaved like slicks in the wet/cold. Painful to replace a pair of tyres with 3.5mm+ tread on them.
I ran a pair of "P-Zero" on the back to the point you could see the belt on the inner edge (I know, I got a little lax once with the weekly checks trying to eek the most out of a set  :scared:) and they were still planted in the wet.

2017 Audi S4

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 08:32:20 pm »
Sorry to hear this mate just as you had got it lookin excellent

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • Life is not a straight line!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 10:38:38 am »

That's correct.

It's juts the GSD3's that they cannot get any more.
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 10:46:04 am »
Glad you didn't suffer any injuries. Hope the car gets sorted.  :happy2:

Just out of interest; Were they "proper" P-Zero or P-Zero Rosso/Nero. I had a pair of Rosso on the front of my GTI when I got it. At around half wear they behaved like slicks in the wet/cold. Painful to replace a pair of tyres with 3.5mm+ tread on them.
I ran a pair of "P-Zero" on the back to the point you could see the belt on the inner edge (I know, I got a little lax once with the weekly checks trying to eek the most out of a set  :scared:) and they were still planted in the wet.

Interesting comment. I've often found it odd that P Zeros go onto very high performance Ferraris and the like, yet are derided by some who put them on 'normal' cars. I guess the difference is the 'Rosso' and 'Nero' brands are not the same as actual P Zeros.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 03:23:12 pm »
The P-Zero is an umbrella sub brand and Rosso/Nero are adaptions within it.
Like Michelin have Pilot Sport/super Sport/Sport cup.

No idea which is better.
Nero SEEM more of a GT tyre to me.

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 08:33:50 am »
When/If i get the car back i shall check the rear P-Zero's and see what type they are.
Steel Grey 2006 Mk5 GTI - R-TECH Stage 1 (268bhp/334ftlb) - BCS Cat Back - Pre-Cat Delete - Carbonio Panel Filter - Rev G DV - 18" BBS CH - Leather - RNS510 - Colour Coded Bumpers and Skirts - ED30 Front Splitter - Eibach Sportlines - Open Fog Grilles - Wind Deflectors.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 08:44:52 am »
Tyre mismatch would have caused that in the damp in my opinion. I hate Pirelli tyres, they are utterly sh*te in the wet and the Eagle F1s bite very well in the corners, even when it's damp and cold.

That coupled with new handling characteristics that you're not used to - recipe for disaster.

Hope you get it repaired ASAP, and when you do - sack off the Pirellis in favour of matched Eagles all round, or swap them to the front at the very least
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Greenman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 10:59:19 am »
Update:

Just rang both garage and insurers and the news is neither bad nor good.

The garage say they have not accessed it yet as the insurance company has halted the claim due to unforeseen modifications!

I then rang the insurers who tell me this is a standard process and the underwriters will be accessing the claim within the next few days.

I then asked that if they did find undeclared mods that the claim would be void, but they assured me it will not, and all that will happen is that i shall have to pay the additional premium on my future insurance payments for the current mods.

So i'm fairly happy with that.

All i have to hope now is that they do not right it off...:(

This 1.0l fiesta i have as a hire car is sh*t slow and as i am 6 foot 6, it's not exactly spacious!

Offline Beej

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 01:33:07 pm »
Tyre mismatch would have caused that in the damp in my opinion. I hate Pirelli tyres, they are utterly sh*te in the wet and the Eagle F1s bite very well in the corners, even when it's damp and cold.

That coupled with new handling characteristics that you're not used to - recipe for disaster.

Hope you get it repaired ASAP, and when you do - sack off the Pirellis in favour of matched Eagles all round, or swap them to the front at the very least
Couldn't agree more with pirelli's. Had pzero nero on my previous car, and granted they gripped well enough in complete warm dry conditions, but show them a bit of cold, damp or wet weather and you'd think you were running budget tyres. I also found they wore quickly too.

I have Goodyear assy f1's on at present which I rate very highly, but, I will be changing to bridgestone s001's, so I will see how they go when the time comes