Make a donation

Author Topic: All-Out Mk5 GTI: Track Car Build  (Read 40894 times)

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: Golf 6R
All-Out Mk5 GTI: Track Car Build
« on: March 20, 2016, 10:08:21 pm »
Thought it was about time I started my second build thread on this forum!

I’ll try to keep this updated as often as possible, but if anyone’s on Instagram and wants to follow @joms6r for the latest updates.

I’ll start with the background – Last January I brought my first VW, a Mk6 Golf R. Over the following months I quickly decided the standard 270hp wasn’t enough and before long it was running an R-Tech stage 2+ map with 360hp/380ft-lbs. To compliment this newfound power, I upgraded the brakes to Lamborghini 8 pots and a few other bits.

Build thread here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95097.0.html

While I love driving the Mk6, I’ve always wanted to have a fully track focused car. If money wasn’t an issue I’d have converted the Mk6, but unfortunately I don’t have unlimited funds, and want to get on the property ladder in the not too distant future, so I decided not to take the Mk6 any further.

So next thing to decide was what car next? Always liked R26 Meganne’s and had a Renaultsport Clio as a run around for a year or so. They get a fantastic write up and are 2 a penny at the ring it got me thinking. Although the Clio never let me down, there was always that niggle of French cars having poor reliability and that I would have to sell all the bits I’ve got for my Mk6 and start again, I was put off that idea.

That led me on to the second choice – a Mk5 GTI. After owning the Mk6 I got to know the car quite well and with the Mk5 having basically the same engine and running gear, all the upgrades, knowledge and contacts I have accumulated can be transferred over. Along with seeing the Garage Midnight and GTI Christian’s cars to name a couple I was sold on the idea.

During the following month or so I decided on the basic spec of what I wanted out of the car. I decided I’d miss the AWD of my Mk6 so and AWD conversion was on the cards. Power wise the 360hp of the Mk6 is staggering, but I wanted to take it to the next level so the aim will be around 500hp, which along with some weight saving should give it some poke.

Fast forward a couple of months and the first piece of the project was purchased. Not the car like most people would start with but the engine. I wanted a CDL due to the improved cams and better flowing head. The unit I picked up came as a complete unit with a turbo, gearbox and all the ancillaries.

Picked by my mate in his trusty Mk4 GTI:

Most of the bits that it came with will not be needed as the engine was soon sent off to JP at JNL Racing. I considered leaving the engine alone as they have been ran at 450hp+ without many issues and would save me a decent chunk of cash. However with the type of use I want to put it through as well as the potential of going for an even higher power figure further down the line, I decided it was best to get it done before it went in so it is as bulletproof as it can be.

Few pics courtesy of JNL Racing:

Soon after the engine as dropped off one of my best mates Sean (also on the forum) decided he was selling his turbo that he originally brought for his 20V turbo Mk2 GTI dragcar build as it was “just not big enough” in his words.

His old build thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95563.0.html

His new one: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105139.0.html

Pic of his current project:

So although my wallet had taken a battering with the engine that month, I agreed to buy his GTX3071r.

Had to take advantage of Black Friday sales, so picked up some SuperPro aluminium lower arms from AKS.

Before I purchased a shell, I wanted to get most of the big bits ready so they could be bolted straight in. After popping up AKS and mentioning I was looking for some bits, Alex sent me a link to a low mileage S3 rear subframe with Haldex included. This was duly picked up a few days later:

I want the whole car to be polybushed so the rear end needed to be stripped down for that anyway. Managed to get a complete rear SuperPro polybush kit at the Autosport show at trade cost which saved a few pounds. While I was at it I got the majority of the arms and brackets blasted and powdercoated.

Whilst the rear subframe was apart I thought I’d have a quick look on ebay to see how much an aluminium diff cradle would set me back. I managed to find a fairly cheap one but couldn’t seem to find a definitive difference between the weight compared to the steel one I already had. But I brought it anyway as I want the car to be as light as possible. Here are the differences below:

Steel:

Aluminium:

Aluminium diff cradle cleaned up and sealed:

All going back together with the SuperPro bushes:

As I mentioned earlier, the plan was to wait until I had the majority of the bits together before looking for a shell. However… after the usual weekly scan of eBay/Auto Trader/Gumtree I came across a Steel Grey Mk5 GTI about 20 miles away from where I live. It seemed to tick all the boxes being a manual, 3dr, non sunroof so thought it was worth a look.

…And this sitting on my drive a few hours later:

The car was exactly what I wanted – There seems to be plenty on black/red GTI’s about but Steel Grey ones seem harder to come by. The colour should also contrast nicely with the carbon panels I hope to add in the future.

The car itself is a little tatty round the edges, but solid mechanically so should be the perfect base for what my plans are. (Would feel bad pulling apart a minter!) It drives nicely and when I plugged it into VCDS nothing major was reported which was a bonus.

Before I did anything to the car I decided I wanted to get a benchmark of what it could do in standard trim. First thing I decided to weigh it, so took the car down to a friendly local scrapyard and it came back at 1370kg with ¼ tank of petrol in it.

Luckily there was a RWYB at Santa Pod the following day so I managed to get a few runs in. My best quarter mile time was 14.8, which matched the quoted time for a standard Mk5 GTI on www.fastestlaps.com website:

And that pretty much brings things up to date. Starting gutting the interior today so I’ll get a few pics up once that’s finished. Also if anyone needs any interior bits let me know! aha
R-tech powered Mk6 Golf R
** Mk5 GTI Track build: >>Here<< **

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
Re: All-Out Mk5 GTI: Track Car Build
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:23:05 pm »
Following this one!

Offline Gti_Mad

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »
Do you know part number for alloy subframe

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline SeanRD

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 10:47:14 pm »
Average  :wink: my GTX was just not big enough  :grin:
Follow my R30T 4WD MK2 build on Instagram @ SA_Engineering

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
Do you know part number for alloy subframe

1K0505235L Should be the one

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:26:50 pm »
Followed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dansmith180

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:28:01 pm »
Awesome, already follow you on insta but will be nice to see some more in depth stuff about this project  :happy2:

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 11:37:49 am »
Bit more weight saving last night:

Soundproofing under the bonnet removed and most of the rear seats and trim gone:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 05:35:06 pm »
Following too. I love these more extreme builds. :evilgrin:

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 07:58:45 pm »
Me too! Looks like pretty quick progress too! Should be a weapon when it's done!
You got a parcel shelf for sale mate? Pm me if so!

Offline jonnyg49

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:16 pm »
And me, You'll have some good fun when its done.

Offline K2 NYJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2016, 01:36:21 am »
wow looks like an epic build

Offline toosmiles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92286.0.html
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 05:00:02 pm »
Impressive build coming m8 pm sent
Golf R mk6 R-tech tuned GTX3071r

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 06:21:03 pm »
A very interesting read and I like your approach and commitment?

You say "Track Built car" are you looking at a particular area of the track to achieve a record or is it ultimate track fun car?

Offline joms6r

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 12:02:24 am »
Me too! Looks like pretty quick progress too! Should be a weapon when it's done!
You got a parcel shelf for sale mate? Pm me if so!

Cheers, PM sent mate