Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI- Newbie with cutting out issues HELP!  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Teegti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
MK5 GTI- Newbie with cutting out issues HELP!
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:41:59 am »
Hi guys so ive recently bought a GTI and it is causing me a lot of headache..

I start the car, it cranks over and stays running for a number of seconds before it cuts out. If i leave the car overnight it starts again in the morning and drives fine but unfortunately the same thing just happens again.. My mechanic plugs his computer but cant find any faults and there are no warning lights on the dash at any time whilst the car is driving or running or cutting out, strange!

I have got a smell of fuel coming from the vehicle that i can smell quite strongly when i put the window down whilst driving, i'm fairly sure the two issues must be related? I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced these issues and if so how did you resolve it?

tia :happy2:

Offline Raj2212

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 75
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115142.0.html
Re: MK5 GTI- Newbie with cutting out issues HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:55:15 pm »
I'm no expert but the strong smell of fuel and it cutting out might indicate it's not receiving fuel properly. I'd get that bit checked out.  :happy2:

Offline Teegti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:49:56 pm »
Been at my mechanics garage all week as he slowly has a look for potential faults.
Unfortunately without any codes stored or even a CEL coming on its almost like searching with your eyes closed.

So far i have changed the fuel pressure regulating valve as the clips where broken on that. Also changing a tube in the fuel tank as it looks pretty knackered, just at a complete loss as to why it is doing it. I have had a read through the forum and well most people seem to be entering limp mode or having codes pop up, mines not doing either.

Offline A1_Audi

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • OEM +
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 02:02:58 am »
Have you checked fuel pump & Cam follower?
OEM +