Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 424524 times)

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....
« Reply #825 on: January 14, 2014, 10:38:11 pm »
I've read the first few pages but can anyone tell me if you can get pads that cover the area of the disc? I like this set up but not keen on not using the whole face of the disc. Im just sure I read on here that there was a pad that covers all the disc.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #826 on: January 14, 2014, 10:59:40 pm »
I've read the first few pages but can anyone tell me if you can get pads that cover the area of the disc? I like this set up but not keen on not using the whole face of the disc. Im just sure I read on here that there was a pad that covers all the disc.

Standard boxster pads will leave a small unswept area nearest the center of the disc.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: January 16, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »
website to buy online very soon

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #828 on: January 17, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »
website to buy online very soon

To buy everything in one go including calipers or are you just selling the brackets etc ?

Thanks

Offline Donx22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #829 on: January 29, 2014, 03:27:04 pm »
I don't know if this has been covered but does anyone know the torque value for mounting these calipers to the brackets and brackets to the hub!?

I don't want to go swinging on it but equally don't want them to come off!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #830 on: January 29, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »
in various threads it mentions the calipers need reloacting to the rear of the disc but some of the golfs have them fitted at the front?

Offline BEN81

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #831 on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:54 pm »
Running monza 2 18's at the moment with 225/40/18 fedral rsr track tyres what size spacer would I need to run these calipers? Also if I was to buy a set of new wheels for track use what ET off set would I require for clearance with no spacer and the minimum catching of the arches?

I have emailed Dave as can not send pm's due to being a new member dose he frequent here much?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:25:36 pm by BEN81 »

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #832 on: February 11, 2014, 03:13:03 pm »
Monza 2 will need a 3mm spacer at minimum (it will be close to touching).
Most use an 8 or 10mm per side hubcentric spacer.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #833 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:05 pm »
Dave, empty your inbox, got a few questions for you :happy2:

Offline phelan77

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: February 17, 2014, 06:30:17 am »
If you are already running SS brake lines, will changing the banjo be enough or do you need to order new SS lines?

SlavishSpace

« Reply #835 on: February 27, 2014, 04:27:54 pm »
Is Dave still doing the fitting kits?

Offline snowfree52

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #836 on: March 01, 2014, 10:26:40 am »
I've read the whole 56 pages, and decided to buy the boxster non S calipers from ebay !

Will the adaptator and hoses from a MK5 GTI fit my Audi A3 8V TDI 184 ? I already have 312 x25 discs.

How much do the S3 and GTI hub weight ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:33:13 am by snowfree52 »

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #837 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:02 pm »
Hi guys! I have some questions regarding the brake rotors/pads for the nqbbk. Dave if you are reading this please answer.
Well, as some of you might know, I've been using the nqsbbk for about 3 years. During this time I've had Pagid Orange RS 4-4 (twice) and I now have Pagid Yellow RS 29. During all these years I've had about 50 laps of the Nurburgring, one Spa track day and about 7 Hungaroring track days. I also use/used the car as a daily driver. All this time I've had ONE set of J Hooked Rotors (bought from DaveB). So I can say I am quite surprised of how long they lasted.
After the last Hungaroring track day I notices some of the "J"s staring to disappear. I've measured the width of the disc and it's about 2mm worn (so 23mm in total), so they are 1mm from their minimal width.
The funny thing is that the "J"s have disappeared only in some parts of the disc. The disc is fine and there are no vibrations when braking.

Right Side:

Close up:

Left Side:

Close up:

I am have doubts/questions about the reason the grooves are disappearing only on some parts of the disc...
So, my question is: is this normal because the groves are not identical (there might be some fractions of a milometer difference)?
Or is there a problem with the disc/pad/caliper causing uneven wear (I didn't notice any uneven wear on the pads so I guess this is not the case)?
Since the wear is close to maximal I will take no chances and replace the discs with identical J Hook Rotors (bough almost 2 years ago because I did not know that these will last so long  :grin:)
Thanks!  :notworthy:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: March 09, 2014, 05:35:14 pm »
Hi guys! I have some questions regarding the brake rotors/pads for the nqbbk. Dave if you are reading this please answer.
Well, as some of you might know, I've been using the nqsbbk for about 3 years. During this time I've had Pagid Orange RS 4-4 (twice) and I now have Pagid Yellow RS 29. During all these years I've had about 50 laps of the Nurburgring, one Spa track day and about 7 Hungaroring track days. I also use/used the car as a daily driver. All this time I've had ONE set of J Hooked Rotors (bought from DaveB). So I can say I am quite surprised of how long they lasted.
After the last Hungaroring track day I notices some of the "J"s staring to disappear. I've measured the width of the disc and it's about 2mm worn (so 23mm in total), so they are 1mm from their minimal width.
The funny thing is that the "J"s have disappeared only in some parts of the disc. The disc is fine and there are no vibrations when braking.

Right Side:

Close up:

Left Side:

Close up:

I am have doubts/questions about the reason the grooves are disappearing only on some parts of the disc...
So, my question is: is this normal because the groves are not identical (there might be some fractions of a milometer difference)?
Or is there a problem with the disc/pad/caliper causing uneven wear (I didn't notice any uneven wear on the pads so I guess this is not the case)?
Since the wear is close to maximal I will take no chances and replace the discs with identical J Hook Rotors (bough almost 2 years ago because I did not know that these will last so long  :grin:)
Thanks!  :notworthy:

Hi Rex

Well........

RS29s on a solid disc and it works and has done for a while - impressive!     :notworthy: :notworthy:

You are exactly the guy that kit was designed for, I reckon on top of the kit you've spent about £450 all on pads which for the usage you've had and the fun you've been having is a f**kin bargain...We've all seen your vids on youtube!! Some guys spend less getting their car to their place of work and back!

Don't ever stop - you're the best advert for the NQSBBK EVER!!

As to why the J hooks are disappearing ......Ive no idea....you got me, if you want to replace them though get in touch for a killer price - its the very least I can do....they do look to have some surface cracks on them as well - nothing major but thats just heat cycling doing its thing, min thickness on that disc is 23.4mm as well so its safe to say that they've served you well and maybe need retiring...Maybe take a look at getting your calipers serviced next time you have a chance - always worthwhile after a beating having got them hot a couple of times! lol

Awesome.....just awesome..... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #839 on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:56 pm »
Firstly, thanks Dave for your answer!  :notworthy:

Then, about the deal on the discs, I bought some other ones (from you) almost 2 years ago and I will install them now. So I guess I'll need another set of discs in about 3 year's time  :grin:...
Because the minimal thickness is 23.4 I will definitely replace them asap.
The current discs have some cracks but they had them from day one (aka after the first track day). I think it's normal since they are not too big.

I might consider a service but it is a little bit difficult to have the calipers removed, sent to UK and vice-versa. I think I will do this maybe in autumn.

Yes, the nqsbbk has done an amassing job. Excellent pedal feel, awesome for daily drive, great for track days for my 160bhp 1400kg Golf. When buying it, I think I spent 1000 GBP (calipers, pagid pads, discs), so not quite cheap but great value. I am only changing the discs after 3 years and the combined value of the discs and pads used over these 3 years is less than the discs for the Stoptech BBK, for example.
I think the brake ducts also had an effect (not sure if large or small) so I will keep the nqsbbk + Pagid Yellow RS29 + J Hook Rotors + brake ducts (there was a design flaw with the brake ducts that will be taken care of, hopefully, this weak; I will explain in the brake ducts topci) for the current year.

All the best!  :drinking:

P.S. My friend below was really, really impressed with the braking power of the nqsbbk.
If you follow his head closely you can tell if I am braking or not  :grin:
My friend said I should install a hans device to prevent the passenger from straining his neck muscles  :grin:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:37:23 pm by rex »