Make a donation

Author Topic: R32 rear bumpers and U.S. spec grilles  (Read 5110 times)

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
R32 rear bumpers and U.S. spec grilles
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:15:28 pm »
Hi, all! I'm new on here and to the whole nodding of dubs so was just looking for abit of advice to get me started on a few things I'd like to achieve with the look on my car! I've got a 5dr ( I know, I know ) GTi and was hoping to get it looking something like some of the awesome cars I've seen on here.

I know to the average modder these might seem like really stupid questions but as I say I'm new, so apologise in advance lol! As you may have guessed from the post title I'm after fitting an R32 rear bumper to my GTi and wondered if it would be a straight swap, knowing  going to have to have the exhaust modified to suit but I'm a big fan of that look! Just wondered on peoples opinions and advice? I've got one lined up at a scrappers near by in Sheffield for £250 is this a decent price?

Also, and thank you for bearing with me on this, I'm after a smoothed GTi front grille
like the U.S. spec ones, anyone know where the best/cheapest place is to pick one up from? Appreciate the help guys (and maybe girls)

Thanks alot
big_dane
Black GTI, DSG, 5dr, Full Leather, Sunroff, Winter Pack, Xenons, Completley Standard... at the moment

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: R32 rear bumpers and U.S. spec grilles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  :happy2:

The R32 rear is a straight swap, as long as you also fit a centre exit cat back like you have already said.  :happy2:

You should be able to pick one up on Ebay for about £100 then it will just need spraying to match your body colour.  :happy2:

I have done this mod.  :pomppomp:

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:27 pm »
IS it just the catback section that needs swapping for R32 fitment?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:57:21 pm »
Yes  :happy2: Though a full zorst is much better.  :love:

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:02:30 pm »
I thought the manifold>cat section for an R32 would't fit the 4pot engine.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:09 pm »
I thought the manifold>cat section for an R32 would't fit the 4pot engine.

Ah! gotcha, Non of the parts off a R32 fit the GTI because its 4 wheel drive bits. I was on about about a custom cat back from Blue flame or Milltek.
The Milltek one is really poor JoesGTI has one on his and it looks gash.  :sick:

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
What about the Blue Flame one?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »
That's what i have and Matsu i think.  :happy2:  Fits great and does not have the nasty back box hanging down below the bumper. I am not hating on Milltek by the way, its just there centre exit zorst for the GTI is just not good enough.  :smiley:

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 10:59:29 pm »
Cheers Top Cat and NickyBoy, I appreciate your help! Which part is it that I should be able to pick up off eBay for bout £100, is that for the entire rear bumper or just the centre exit rear valance for the zorst?

On what you were saying bout Milltek exhausts too are they no good? Got a quote today from Awesome for a full turbo-back with the R32 back box for £1300, thought this was pretty expensive tbh, or is that just cause I'm new to this? Going to see if this R32 that's breaking has the original cat back section then, try getting it cheap!

Thanks for the help again

big_dane
Black GTI, DSG, 5dr, Full Leather, Sunroff, Winter Pack, Xenons, Completley Standard... at the moment

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 08:00:26 am »
Just re-read your post TC and realise what you were saying now, that the standard R32 zorst won't fit the GTi at all! Might be a trip over the pennines to blueflame then, give them a ring!

To do the R32 bumper mod do I need the whole rear bumper or just the rear splitter and exhaust valance?

:happy2:

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:20:41 am »
hi mate.
 i drove to blueflame with the lower bumper and exhaust valence in the boot, they fitted the cat back and bumpers all in for i think 470 ish. they were bloody great i can highly recommend them. the exhaust sounds amazing and looks the dogs... even if i say so myself hee hee.
the dealers charge you about 250 ish for the two bits i got
you can get the bumper for 100 ish on ebay
and the lower exhaust cutout section for about the same either ebay or stealers.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14505.0.html
or even better
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14925.0.html
sorry had to pic whore a little bit. i,m finally getting the car to look like it belongs with the guys on here :scared:
woooohooooo guys i can actually help someone else on here!
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 10:16:12 am »
Nice one matsu mate, thanks for the advice mate and if I may say so it looks like Blueflame did a bang on job with your exhaust mate it looks bloody brilliant and for that price including the fitting of the bumper you can't complain can you! It's bout a grand cheaper than it was going to cost me at awesome, that was for a turbo back system though but even still a grands a grand when there's other things I want for my car!

I hope my car looks half as good as yours does when it's done and thankfully blueflame is only a few hours drive from me but like you said looks like it was well worth the long day driving up the country for!

Just been to scrappers to look at that bumper and he wouldn't split the bumper which means I'd just be left with parts I don't need and might struggle to get rid of so going to my local stealers to get one new for same price roughly, may as well buy it new I thought! Thank you guys so much Nickyboy, TC and Matsu. Appreciate the help!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

^ Custom Milltek TBE with shallow (doesn't show) VWR type back box and ceramic coated black satin tips. Plus OSIR real carbon exhaust trim.

:P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:46:38 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 11:27:24 am »
That looks brilliant RedRobin, I was considering going for the Milltek quad exhaust conversion cause I am a really big fan tbh but changed my mind at last minute and I've decided on the R32 look especially after seeing TC and matsu's cars!

TC mate have you had the valance colour coded or kept it black plastic?

I'm loving the carbon valance RedRobin I've had a look on the OSIR website and they do one to go with R32 exhaust set up! Is yours matt or gloss carbon? Seriously considering going for this!

:happy2:

Offline big_dane

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 11:30:13 am »
Anyone know where I could pick up a smoothed front grill from? Got carried away with the bumper forgot to ask!  :smiley: