Make a donation

Author Topic: VW racing re-maps  (Read 6453 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: VW racing re-maps
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 11:08:02 am »
I never shop around for the cheapest I can get. If I can't afford it I wait until I can. My next planned mod is TT wishbones.....   At VWR.

I'm much worse off financially than most people think I am but I'm sick of this 'money-money-money how-can-I-get-something-for-nothing' culture. FFS! You constantly overhear supermarket shoppers muttering to their partners they can get it cheaper elsewhere over a pot of jam! If you like wild blueberry jam then fecking well get it and enjoy it! [cue for my breakfast].

I'm a 'people person' and only stay with those I have a rapport with and, most importantly, trust. That goes for all my relationships.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 12:09:53 pm »
I'm not a fan of those commercial enterprises which rebrand and resell with excessive profit margins either, and I have used VWR for some time. But it's horses for courses and my car is Revo remapped at JKM who have a rolling-road and, like VWR, also know my car well.

I can only say that in my direct experience I continue to be extremely well treated by VWR in all aspects. My only criticism is that they very rarely return phone calls but I accept that and make another call until I speak to who I need to. I also accept that their priority is the VW Cup series and I fit in around that.

So, I don't think it's fair to suggest that VWR are rip-off artists. It is of course fair that everyone should feel free to express their opinions here.

as you say that is your opinion, however it would be fair to say that they have made some mistakes along the way, on forum members cars.  Quite a few to be fair.

I must also say that their drive to put mistakes right is reassuring, again this is my opinion. 

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »
I must also say that their drive to put mistakes right is reassuring, again this is my opinion. 

That is the crucial part. Any company even ones with Billions of £'s at their disposal can make mistakes (look at Toyota recently) however if they strive to fix any mistake then that is what people should look at.

But their over inflated prices are a bit off putting.

Take for Example JKM's equiv of there stage 1 package. VWR are charging £1500. JKM are charging £1380 including VAT for REVO Stage 1, Miltek CBE & EVOMS.

What does the Extra £120 get you? :confused:

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 12:26:47 pm »
^^^^^^^^
This is exactly my point. I'd rather have the extra money at my disposable to do what I like with it.

I also don't think it's about waiting until you can afford to get something done, the point is why pay extra for the same product?! Makes no sense to me  :confused:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 12:28:24 pm »

Maybe some foreplay or at least a cuddle afterwards.  :evilgrin:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 12:29:02 pm »
I never shop around for the cheapest I can get. If I can't afford it I wait until I can. My next planned mod is TT wishbones.....   At VWR.

I'm much worse off financially than most people think I am but I'm sick of this 'money-money-money how-can-I-get-something-for-nothing' culture. FFS! You constantly overhear supermarket shoppers muttering to their partners they can get it cheaper elsewhere over a pot of jam! If you like wild blueberry jam then fecking well get it and enjoy it! [cue for my breakfast].

I'm a 'people person' and only stay with those I have a rapport with and, most importantly, trust. That goes for all my relationships.

Although that is the case with a lot of society RR i don't think there is anything wrong with having a look round to see if you can get the same product cheaper. If a company is providing the same thing cheaper of there own accord then thats not "money for nothing" attitude it's good money acumen in my opinion. However it's when people start trying to get all sorts of discount for no reason that i have problem with. :fighting:

I can get discount on a lot of things just for being in the forces. I rarely use it though and it's generally only if i want a piece of equipment for my job that i do use it.

Not knocking you for your opinion RR just putting a different spin on it  :drinking:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »
As lots of people have said on this forum.  Do one Mod at a time, see what effect it has and then decide the next mod.

The package is ok, but perhaps first remap, then exhaust, and enjoy learning about your car along the way.  I would prefer to also have the cash in my sky rocket too.

Customer service is great, but you should not have to pay for it.

I always shop around, it is not where i buy from, more the item I am buying, I always do research on what brand I want, and If I can the same branded part cheaper at X than Z, then I will shop with X, as I can fit most things myself.

I went with VWR for a LSD Fit to my old Ed 30, and had a mixed experience of their work standards, however as I have said, their drive to rectify was reassuring.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 12:41:33 pm »
I can get discount on a lot of things just for being in the forces. I rarely use it though and it's generally only if i want a piece of equipment for my job that i do use it.

I use mine all the time, and if that doesnt work, im also a fully fledged student so i use.  Not shy of a discount if i can get it :grin:

I use the student one for cinema's, film hire, and train tickets to london.

the forces one gets used to get me cheap into concerts etc and most importantly 20% off at nando's.  never thought of trying it on the car discounts though

I agree with Robin a bit.  Having a good repore with the team at VWR will always ensure he has top notch customer service, but other guys dont have such a repore with them, but the good news is they are very keen to rectify any issues.  no one is perfect

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:56 pm »

Maybe some foreplay or at least a cuddle afterwards.  :evilgrin:

LOL @ Hedge  :laugh:

The £120 gets you a properly underwritten warranty to cover anything caused as result of the modifications and some VW style booklets to put in the car's manual pack.

So while like Stokeballoon I have a few problems along the way my dealing with VWR I certainly do not think they are rip off merchants but they do have some work to do on the customer service and quality control side, which they have, to me personally at least, have knowledged.

What I don't think is a valid excuse is the reasoning that there priority is racing and the VW cup, if this is the case then they shouldn't be publicly advertising or pushing their products and services.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 01:11:03 pm »
[
What I don't think is a valid excuse is the reasoning that there priority is racing and the VW cup, if this is the case then they shouldn't be publicly advertising or pushing their products and services.

agreed

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 02:48:13 pm »

....I'm not saying it's a valid excuse but that it's the practical reality in their case. If people like me are happy with that, it's not a problem. If others have different expectations it shouldn't be a problem because they can always choose to go where they feel happiest.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 04:59:58 pm »

I've used the wife's student discount for Apple stuff because that is a HUUUUUGE saving :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 05:07:40 pm »

I've used the wife's student discount for Apple stuff because that is a HUUUUUGE saving :laugh:

ill keep that in mind then, im looking at IPADs at the momnent

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »
No discount on iPads im afraid. I couldn't even get Forces discount on the iPad :sad1:

Just MacBooks and iMac's mainly and some software. Biggest saving is Apple Care. Usually £279 for computers but £55 for Students

You can get Forces Discount aswell but it's 8% whereas student's is upto 20% depending on what it is :smiley:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 05:46:07 pm »

....I'm not saying it's a valid excuse but that it's the practical reality in their case. If people like me are happy with that, it's not a problem. If others have different expectations it shouldn't be a problem because they can always choose to go where they feel happiest.

Robin,

Have you never had any problems with any of the Tuners that have worked on your car?  Genuine question.