Make a donation

Author Topic: Tutorial - How to Update RNS-510 Firmware. ***New Links & Firmware*** 19/02/12  (Read 356442 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
A 57 plate shouldn't get Battery Drain as it will have at least an L revision Can and probably an S Revision.

For reference my Last car was a 07 Plate Registered Mar 07 and that came with a K revision that didn't suffer battery drain.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Oops my bad. I thought it was 57 plates which had older versions and 58 with k and newer versions

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Acidreamer

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
thanks guys really appreciate the info and the help i will download the firmware in the first post and see how i get on i just hope i dont mess it up as i have only had the car a couple of weeks also not really the place so im sorry is the mdi unit just plug and play and it will automatically come up on the media screen once plugged in

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Make sure you burn the disc at the slowest speed and use a good branded disc. I always use verbatim.

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Acidreamer

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
hi guys

the firmware upgrade worked brilliant i did expect there to be some issues but when i click the nav button its asking me to insert the nav dvd any idea what i do now the map needs updating anyway any idea on where to get this from maybe on the cheap or free if some kind person has it?

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Does anyone have a copy of V9 Maps with POI i could borrow for beer money  :drinking:
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Pm'd

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Hi everyone!

Might sound like a really stupid question :/, but is the RNS-510 head unit made for the MK5 or does it need modifying to fit? And my golf has a parrot kit all installed and setup, would this just plug into the same places as it does already? Or would that need modifying?

Thank
Vish

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
Fits straight on. Might need to update your canbus if it has an old one

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
A 57 plate shouldn't get Battery Drain as it will have at least an L revision Can and probably an S Revision.

For reference my Last car was a 07 Plate Registered Mar 07 and that came with a K revision that didn't suffer battery drain.

How do you find out what revision it is? Mines 07 too

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Fits straight on. Might need to update your canbus if it has an old one

Sent From My Samsung S3

Ok great, will the RCD510 be the same? Straight swap? And the parrot kit will still have 100% function and work the same? Hijacking the speakers when necessary etc etc?

And i read earlier that some 07 plates dont suffer battery drain but not sure if my 07 will or not, gonna try find out what revision it is

Offline Rickster1978

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
Hi guys. Hoping someone out there can help me out.

I've just bought a 2010 Golf with the RNS-510. At present I don't have full postcode search on the sat nav and I am hoping to upgrade the firmware to enable it.

I have downloaded the 381X firmware from the link on the first page. I followed the steps but when I unRAR'd the file I got a .ISO file and not a .NRG file.

I wasn't sure if this was correct or not so I burnt an image of it onto a disc and popped it into my RNS but it didn't like it and spat the disc out.

I'm really keen to get the 7 digit postcode entry sorted and I've also heard that the device is a bit quicker with some of the newer firmwares so I'm really hoping to get it all resolved. There are loads of links to various sites but this post did seem to include the most information and gave a nice step by step run down which was absolutely vital for me.

Hope someone out there can help me out.

Regards
Ricky

Offline Rickster1978

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Well that was an easy fix. Re burnt the disc at a slower speed once I found out how to do it on the mac and its worked.

Now for the next question. I've downloaded the maps from usenet and have unzipped the files into a folder on my PC.

Now the silly question. How do I get these files onto a DVD. Do I just copy them all across or do I need to do something different.

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Well that was an easy fix. Re burnt the disc at a slower speed once I found out how to do it on the mac and its worked.

Now for the next question. I've downloaded the maps from usenet and have unzipped the files into a folder on my PC.

Now the silly question. How do I get these files onto a DVD. Do I just copy them all across or do I need to do something different.
Did they not come as an ISO file?

Offline Rickster1978

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Nope. It was all in a zip file when I downloaded it. Just unzipped it into a folder.

Guess I need to create an ISO file. May just be easier for me to buy a disc as I'm going to have to get a dual layer disc anyway.