Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2600074 times)

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10335 on: April 11, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »
Had my car serviced today, also finally got the Porsche NQSBBK fitted bought from @Martin_jk too!  :party:

It's a bit too early to tell as I'm just bedding in at the moment which is a bit scary on fresh pads and discs! One thing I definitely need however is some spacers...

Talk about cutting it thin! Pretty lucky it fits just behind my BBS CO's which has an offset of 47, think 15-20mm spacers should be enough to give it some much needed breathing space.

Offline Martin_jk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #10336 on: April 11, 2017, 07:47:35 pm »
Had my car serviced today, also finally got the Porsche NQSBBK fitted bought from @Martin_jk too!  :party:

It's a bit too early to tell as I'm just bedding in at the moment which is a bit scary on fresh pads and discs! One thing I definitely need however is some spacers...

Talk about cutting it thin! Pretty lucky it fits just behind my BBS CO's which has an offset of 47, think 15-20mm spacers should be enough to give it some much needed breathing space.
They look amazing, nice to see them fitted :) they look awesome behind the grey BBS alloys!

looks like you definitely need spacers though that's very close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deedaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #10337 on: April 12, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »
Spring Clean:
Polish - Autoglym Super Res (Magic Stuff)
Wax - Autoglym - High Def Wax  (Hard work, but inspired by Mr Miyagi words, I managed it!)

looks so much better and worth all the effort. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #10338 on: April 12, 2017, 01:54:07 pm »
Was there much debris on the pick up pipe gauze/sump? @MIJ_JAGGER

@fab5freddy your photo isn't showing up for some reason, what was in the GFB area?

@Pudding I recall GFB stating how important a perfect seal was and to handle the piston with incredible care so as not to score it. Now a tiny score won't exactly release a bar of pressure but surely that's not right. Has anyone else seen scoring on theirs? A while back plenty of knock off ones were floating around too which is also a worry!

@fab5freddy what the fishy fcuk?!!!   Not seen that before!  I'll be checking mine tonight.   Luke, the orange O ring on the smaller inner piston is completely shredded on his.

I'm not that worried about the scoring tbh, it's more the possibility of it jamming shut or open when things get hot in there!

Yeah, not impressed  :sick: Will update when i get a reply from GFB or AMD  :happy2:

Interested in the response on this too.

Checked mine last night and it's all good.  Polished the brass piston with some Autosol, lubed it and put back together.  It's hard to see in the pic, but it looks like your nipple has 2 O rings on it?  Mine only has 1.

I forgot how annoying these are, even on KO4 engine.  The piston and spring fell out whilst reassembling it.  The piston rolled under the car and spring vanished into the engine somewhere, took me 30 mins to find it.  I was close to launching the thing over the wall and putting the standard one back in  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #10339 on: April 12, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »
Was there much debris on the pick up pipe gauze/sump? @MIJ_JAGGER

@fab5freddy your photo isn't showing up for some reason, what was in the GFB area?

@Pudding I recall GFB stating how important a perfect seal was and to handle the piston with incredible care so as not to score it. Now a tiny score won't exactly release a bar of pressure but surely that's not right. Has anyone else seen scoring on theirs? A while back plenty of knock off ones were floating around too which is also a worry!

@fab5freddy what the fishy fcuk?!!!   Not seen that before!  I'll be checking mine tonight.   Luke, the orange O ring on the smaller inner piston is completely shredded on his.

I'm not that worried about the scoring tbh, it's more the possibility of it jamming shut or open when things get hot in there!

Yeah, not impressed  :sick: Will update when i get a reply from GFB or AMD  :happy2:

Interested in the response on this too.

Checked mine last night and it's all good.  Polished the brass piston with some Autosol, lubed it and put back together.  It's hard to see in the pic, but it looks like your nipple has 2 O rings on it?  Mine only has 1.

I forgot how annoying these are, even on KO4 engine.  The piston and spring fell out whilst reassembling it.  The piston rolled under the car and spring vanished into the engine somewhere, took me 30 mins to find it.  I was close to launching the thing over the wall and putting the standard one back in  :grin:

:signLOL: Same thing happened to me, bloody spring ended up in the bottom of radiator.

Nothing back yet from either GFB or AMD

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10340 on: April 13, 2017, 12:19:53 pm »
Fitted a mk6 climate control, seems to be working ok...i just plugged the connectors into the back of this and done the basic and compressor setting via the controller....
Anyone know if I need to do anything else?
Ordered the trim, will fit tomorrow

Did you just buy any climate control panel ? As there seems to be loads of part numbers for them but they look identical. Don't want to pick up the wrong one. I'm going to do this mod to as my interior is mostly MK6 anyway accept the clocks and DSG gaitor.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:21:24 pm by Kai96 »

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #10341 on: April 13, 2017, 08:11:19 pm »
Fitted a mk6 climate control, seems to be working ok...i just plugged the connectors into the back of this and done the basic and compressor setting via the controller....
Anyone know if I need to do anything else?
Ordered the trim, will fit tomorrow

Did you just buy any climate control panel ? As there seems to be loads of part numbers for them but they look identical. Don't want to pick up the wrong one. I'm going to do this mod to as my interior is mostly MK6 anyway accept the clocks and DSG gaitor.

Thanks
This one ends in BT

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #10342 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:26 pm »
Fit the trim for the mk6 climate, sprayed the trims gloss black for cleaner look, was wrapped in 5D carbon fibre vinyl before

You should retrofit a mk7 style panel instead of the old mk6 one.. Check my build thread. I've done it. :)
Even better now when you've sprayed your trim gloss black anyway, since you need to do some work to the facia.

MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #10343 on: April 13, 2017, 11:26:50 pm »
@Christiank just saw it on your thread, looks really really good
I think I'll just keep it like this for now, next up will probably be a rcd510 install

Offline Eves

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #10344 on: April 14, 2017, 07:41:47 pm »
Exhaust tips fitted. Nice cheap little mod for the weekend

And a before and after combo

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #10345 on: April 14, 2017, 08:12:53 pm »
Eves, which ones did you get?
Can you put a link up ta?

Offline Eves

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10346 on: April 14, 2017, 08:19:15 pm »

Can't seem to copy a link however these are the ones from eBay. So easy to fit!!

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10347 on: April 14, 2017, 09:28:03 pm »
Today I wet sanded the 4 worst scratches on the car. I polished out with my new hex logic orange pad and Megs ultimate compound and the results were impressive. Can't wait to go over the whole car with it and take out the swirls and minor scratches.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #10348 on: April 14, 2017, 10:07:28 pm »

Can't seem to copy a link however these are the ones from eBay. So easy to fit!!

Surely with these you can see up close the tabs inside? And I'm guessing they are slightly larger to slide over the OEM pipes?
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Eves

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10349 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:25 pm »

Surely with these you can see up close the tabs inside? And I'm guessing they are slightly larger to slide over the OEM pipes?

They are a very snug fit. Literally so snug they need to be hit firmly with a rubber mallet.

These tips are black inside so hide the original exhausts pretty well. Obviously if look very closely at the the new tips you can you just about tell they have slid over the original. You can't see the tabs at all