Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2600182 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10305 on: April 08, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »
New "Boot Pop kit" bump stops, only, arrived today...replacements for worn and broken pair...and got them installed. Picked up oil, filter, and cam follower for upcoming 135k service.

You also tackling the service over long Easter weekend?

I'll drop the sump and clean the pickup pipe while I'm doing the service.
No...I had to get oil and filter for the wife's car so I got my stuff too. I have 450 miles to go before I get mine done.  :drinking:
"Long Easter weekend"? You all get an extra day off there? U.S. = not!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:54:35 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10306 on: April 08, 2017, 08:57:37 pm »
Cleaned sunroof seal, cleaned and lubed mechanism, adjusted glass and addressed rattle on tilt.  Then set about fitting underseat drawers that I picked up for a bargain - really easy job and look great.  Took the opportunity to clean carpets under seats properly while I was at it too.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #10307 on: April 08, 2017, 09:36:29 pm »

[/quote]
"Long Easter weekend"? You all get an extra day off there? U.S. = not!
[/quote]

No...TWO extra days off actually! Friday and Monday!   :signLOL:

That's why all you Americans are so highly paid!   :signLOL:  :signLOL:

Still haven't worked out why you guys can often  buy euro made stuff for the same price in dollars that we have to pay in £/€ tho???

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10308 on: April 08, 2017, 10:33:29 pm »
:grin:  :grin:  :grin:

@pudding

There is a reason it has been removed for a previous modification that must have been removed before resale..

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10027.0

Went to sort my leaking rear washer today and discovered some previous owner hackings.

The dimwit cut a section of metal away and also cut a support arm off the wiper motor assembly  :congrats:

This precisely why people steer clear of modified cars.  I now need to buy a new motor and weld a studded piece of metal back on to support the motor.

Has anyone got a picture of what that area is supposed to look like as standard please?

does that look like a different boot handle and could be the reason it's been chopped out  :thinking:

Offline martinatfc

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10309 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:10 pm »

looks like you got the complete brake light out without breaking it into pieces?. Well done  :happy2:

On my list as mine is fooked! Have already rotated the rear wash jet to stop it squirting right up at it!

I've just done mine this morning. Very easy.
Was probably lucky that the plastic that holds onto the screws was easy to break out so didn't have to actually break the red cover. Just a lot of brute force! New one clipped straight in. Only took 10 minutes.

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #10310 on: April 09, 2017, 02:09:32 pm »
Been a while since iv done anything to my car but recently had a detail done with g techniq had new front drop links fitted to get rid of the annoying knocking over every bump and just fitted some vmr 701 in 19x8.5 et 48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline IOMAL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10311 on: April 09, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »
Anybody else think this pollen filter was well overdue a change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ndy

« Reply #10312 on: April 09, 2017, 07:05:51 pm »
Surely this is a carbon filter.  I change mine every year  Always get them from ECP as the indi charges £12 :signLOL:

Offline spesh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #10313 on: April 09, 2017, 09:24:33 pm »
Change the PCV today.  Front part was a doddle and done in 10mins, the rear metal pipe however was an absolute ballache - you need the hands of a 5 year old to get to it.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #10314 on: April 10, 2017, 08:23:58 am »
Change the PCV today.  Front part was a doddle and done in 10mins, the rear metal pipe however was an absolute ballache - you need the hands of a 5 year old to get to it.

I used a needle nose pliers.

Had considered asking one of my nephews to do it  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #10315 on: April 10, 2017, 09:50:05 am »
:grin:  :grin:  :grin:

@pudding

There is a reason it has been removed for a previous modification that must have been removed before resale..

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10027.0

Went to sort my leaking rear washer today and discovered some previous owner hackings.

The dimwit cut a section of metal away and also cut a support arm off the wiper motor assembly  :congrats:

This precisely why people steer clear of modified cars.  I now need to buy a new motor and weld a studded piece of metal back on to support the motor.

Has anyone got a picture of what that area is supposed to look like as standard please?

Cheers mate, I can now see what I need for performing reconstructive surgery!

The guy who owned my car before me is a complete idiot.   Reading through that thread it all makes sense now why my car rattles so much.  It's bloody vandalism and he didn't even leave the damn camera in the car after all that work  :stupid:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10316 on: April 10, 2017, 01:09:22 pm »
GFB DV+ fitted over the weekend.

There was a revision C in it but no tears or anything so must have been changed at some point in the past. Power wise I can't say I'm feeling a difference but throttle response is MUCH sharper and for some reason which I can't quite get my head around the DSG gear changes are absolutely seamless now.

Must be something to do with maintaining boost/vac between gears and preventing the engine from lurching on the mounts.  :thinking:

Highly recommended if anyone is thinking of doing it.

30 mins in and out. Long allen bit and ratchet spanner made it fairly simple.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
« Reply #10317 on: April 10, 2017, 01:23:09 pm »

There was a revision C in it but no tears or anything so must have been changed at some point in the past. Power wise I can't say I'm feeling a difference but throttle response is MUCH sharper and for some reason which I can't quite get my head around the DSG gear changes are absolutely seamless now.

Must be something to do with maintaining boost/vac between gears and preventing the engine from lurching on the mounts.  :thinking:

Similar effect on manual cars too.  Everything just feels like it's better....idle smoothness, responsiveness, the lot.

I think the DV+ can occasionally stick partially open at times though.  I seem to have periods of massive disparity in performance.  Some days it's really really gutless off boost and other days it feels like a brand new engine.  I think it's down to the DV+ personally.  It needs periodic cleaning and lubing.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10318 on: April 10, 2017, 02:00:24 pm »
Similar effect on manual cars too.  Everything just feels like it's better....idle smoothness, responsiveness, the lot.

I think the DV+ can occasionally stick partially open at times though.  I seem to have periods of massive disparity in performance.  Some days it's really really gutless off boost and other days it feels like a brand new engine.  I think it's down to the DV+ personally.  It needs periodic cleaning and lubing.

I don't have the same experience with mine. Never noticed any performance difference and never cleaned/lubed mine so far. Still flutters well while releasing boost as new. If it stick, it would just dump the boost.

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10319 on: April 10, 2017, 02:17:56 pm »

Can't say I've read anything about them needing maintenance, hopefully not.

You're correct about everything just feeling "better". It's hard to quantify but it feels like the part that should've been on the car from day 1. 

I don't have the same experience with mine. Never noticed any performance difference and never cleaned/lubed mine so far. Still flutters well while releasing boost as new. If it stick, it would just dump the boost.

I'm not hearing any fluttering, are you on a K04? Do you have an uprated intake? My car is bog standard so maybe that's why?