Make a donation

Author Topic: MK GTi vs Ed30 - performance potential differences.  (Read 9680 times)

Offline baderlfc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MK GTi vs Ed30 - performance potential differences.
« on: October 25, 2011, 04:16:21 pm »
In the market for a GTi or Ed30.. wondering whether the Ed30 is really worth the extra £2-2.5k they seem to carry pricewise?

I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) the Ed30's have the K04 turbo and larger injectors essentially meaning they have bigger tuning potential?

I would also imagine an Ed30 would hold it's value better than a standard GTi?

Really I'm thinking is it better to keep the £2k plus to mod a standard GTi? I mean are they really worlds apart in terms of performance anyway?

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Re: MK GTi vs Ed30 - performance potential differences.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:26:26 pm »
Come take mine for a test drive and make me an offer.
I'm at stage 2+ and I reckon you'd be very happy with it  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline baderlfc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 04:30:30 pm »
Come take mine for a test drive and make me an offer.
I'm at stage 2+ and I reckon you'd be very happy with it  :happy2:

Stage 2+? So about 320BHP or so??

Where abouts are you in the country?

Too be honest I was pleasantly surprised with the standard GTi, same BHP as my BM but a bit more torque and 200kg lighter meant I was impressed with the turbo charged 4pot!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 04:32:38 pm »
320bhp on a standard rolling road, but I reckon more like 285 in the real world.
I've sent you an e-mail (hotmail)  :happy2:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »
Really I'm thinking is it better to keep the £2k plus to mod a standard GTi? I mean are they really worlds apart in terms of performance anyway?

Depends on how you drive as the k03 (smaller turbo) is spooled up earlier in the rev range and has more low down grunt than a k04 car. At mid to high revs when the k04 is fully spooled, it'll keep pulling till the red line whereas the k03 will run out of puff by 5.5k.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline baderlfc

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:48 pm »
320bhp on a standard rolling road, but I reckon more like 285 in the real world.

Isn't the car undriveable at that sort of power?

320bhp and god knows how much torque through the front wheels?!

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:06:00 pm »
Unless your track daying the car regularly, then either car at stage 2+ isnt gonna get used too much on the public roads.

I would change it purely for what the styling is that you prefer, either the Ed30 styling or the Std GTi's design.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:11:03 pm »
Steve I disagree.  I've never done a track day before, but I find the GTi at stage 2+ the way VW should have sold it in the 1st place.  It's a pleasure to drive and th power is ther if you need it  :P

Saint Steve

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 05:30:13 pm »
Steve I disagree.  I've never done a track day before, but I find the GTi at stage 2+ the way VW should have sold it in the 1st place.  It's a pleasure to drive and th power is ther if you need it  :P

I would have the Ed30 for its looks, over the basic car anyday, but we all like different elements of the cars.

Its just a bonus the Ed30 has a larger turbo, but tuning it to its limits isnt to everyones taste.

Thats why i posted my comment.

Jussa, you really need a trip out in an Ed30 fully Tuned, it really does leave the Std GTI behind at the same stage of tune.

VW also beef'd up the engines internals to cope with the extra power the BYD engine has.I would budget an engine block change if you wanna go that far.

Up to the O.P of this question of course..

Std GTi stage 2+ around 285bhp
Ed30 stage 2+around 340bhp

My Bluefin stage1 Ed30 pulled 284.6bhp, and thats with a pants Stage 1 Remap.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:36:34 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 05:53:03 pm »
I thought the only difference between the 2 cars was the colour coded skirt and bumper and the Pescaras  :confused:
I think you'll also find that at JKM rollers the Revo stage 2+ GTi gets around 285bhp and the same ED30 will get around 320-330?  I'm not disputing that the ED30 is quicker.  If I was I wouldn't be buying an S3   :evilgrin:
Let me know when you're in SE London and you can show me how your Eddy goes  :party:

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 05:57:21 pm »

320 on a KO3??
Ed30

Saint Steve

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »
I thought the only difference between the 2 cars was the colour coded skirt and bumper and the Pescaras  :confused:
I think you'll also find that at JKM rollers the Revo stage 2+ GTi gets around 285bhp and the same ED30 will get around 320-330?  I'm not disputing that the ED30 is quicker.  If I was I wouldn't be buying an S3   :evilgrin:
Let me know when you're in SE London and you can show me how your Eddy goes  :party:

Theres alot more differences in the engine block and has strenghtened Internals to go with the changed Injectors and Turbo fitted to the Ed30/Pirelli cars.

I did actually say that about 285bhp on a Stage2+ Std GTi  :confused:, the most powerful Ed30 ive seen run at JKm was 334bhp, and that had a rich running condition diagnosed by Jim of JKM.

Ive been in a stage 2+ eddy, and it makes my stage 2 seem underpowered  :signLOL: but i have less issues getting the power down, so off the line its very simular tbh.

Only at top revs or on a quarter mile strip is the only way to see the difference.

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 06:04:38 pm »
A Stage 1 eddy is where its at!! I should have learnt a long time ago!! No exhaust will make it sound like an R32!!
Ed30

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:06:37 pm »

Depends on how you drive as the k03 (smaller turbo) is spooled up earlier in the rev range and has more low down grunt than a k04 car. At mid to high revs when the k04 is fully spooled, it'll keep pulling till the red line whereas the k03 will run out of puff by 5.5k.
[/quote]

Thats not entirely true as my Octy Vrs K03 has been on Sharks rollers and puts out a healthy 252 bhp almost from 4000 to 7000rpm and holds the power well.  I have got misfires lowdown which is probably plug related but that will get sorted.  Id still opt for a ED30 as they are far more tuneable though.

Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:36 pm »
I have a stage 2+ gti and think its great. My brother in-law had a stage 2+ ed30 which was also great. Both were pretty evenly matched up to around 100mph then the ed30 would steadily start to pull away. Thing is how fast do you wanna go and what are you wanting to use the car for. Personally if i had my time with one or the other again i would have gone ed30 stage1 . Plenty enough for road use imho. I do have to say though when i was at inters this year, i slaughtered a stage 2 ed30 down the strip. So who knows. I personally think dynos are a lottery. Its what the cars feel like on the road and mine feels damn quick. An example of the dyno lottey mine ran 303hp on stattlers dyno.