Make a donation

Author Topic: Highline display retro-fitted by Dealers?  (Read 13269 times)

Offline tom619

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Highline display retro-fitted by Dealers?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 09:13:14 pm »
no not at all, does amaze me that my car is supposed to be a 1.9 tdi se, when there's not really anything special about it! a multifunction display would set it off im sure!

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 09:51:34 pm »
Let me clear a few things up.

That "how to" that was posted.....now....

Highline clocks (without sat nav) had a compass unit, which was located in a pig of a place. That's what the majority of the how to talks about. And that's what your all looking at and cringing.

I decided not to install the compass unit because of four reasons:

1. The work needed to fit this far outweighs the benefits of fitting.  all it does it is show a compass on the dash.

2. I was going to be fitting this with a sat nav unit (RNS-510 to be accurate) Now a VW satnav whatever the unit will have a compass built in, giving the compass display on the highline dash.

3. fitting the Compass unit in the Satnav along with the compass unit detailed in this How to can cause unwanted "traffic" in the can bus system. this has been reported to slow down delivery of information on the canbus system due to conflicting data. It wont cause a massive problem, but just make buttons a bit sluggish etc.

4. it will probably cost £60 or so to buy the compass module and associated wiring looms.

Right so now thats cleared up, here comes how to swap the clocks.
its so easy my girlfriend could do it!

First up, move the steering wheel as far down and as far out as it will go.
Pull out the top covering clip above the steering wheel. (its the bit below the clock attached to a bit of leather) after you have removed that you can...
..unscrew the two torx screws you will now see. then its just a case of pulling the clocks out. its pretty tight there so wiggling it will work! ;)

hope this helps clear a few things up..

thats why i said it would only take 20 mins tops for a good VW tech guy to swap and code a highline clock

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »
Pretty much what JPC said. The clock swap itself is a 20 minute job (the steering wheel doesn't even need to be removed), and then the new clocks and existing key fobs need to be re-programmed.

The actual clock swap as JPC said can be done by anyone who can remove 2 screws (that's all that holds the clocks in). The difficult bit is the programming, and this either needs to be done by a stealer or someone who knows what they are doing with VAG Commander.

I know the above as fact, as I gave Darren (mortygttdi) a set of highline clocks and he sucessfully fitted them himself, including the programming (Darren has VAG Commander). I've seen Darren and his car a few times since and the clocks are working perfectly, and as he has an MFD2 fitted again as JPC said, he even has the compass arrow in the highline display. So no messing around with compass modules required, which vastly reduces the steps in the posted DIY.  :happy2:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35:56 pm »
i have vag commander too but the newer clocks are bullet proof! up until about 2007 clocks, you should be ok. but anything after that its a vw job.

the dealer should only charge about 50 quid for fitting, but make sure you tell them you know how much of an easy job it is! ;) so when they say its 159 quid or something daft just for fitting tell them to jog on!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 06:00:20 am »
So when am I going to get a chance to do your highline swap Andrew?? :wink: :happy2:   The version of Vag commander that I have will only do clusters upto march 2006 once the new builds started to come in the cluster had a different security procedure so V/C couldn't retreive the SKC pin :surprised: The new version of V/C is able to get past this but upto now I've not been able to get hold of it, YET

Darren
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 02:11:54 pm by mortygttdi »

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 07:53:46 am »
Hi Darren,

As soon as funds will allow mate. Just paid for our holiday later this year, and my car insurance is due end of this month so currently a little skint.

But soon .....

Offline tom619

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:11 pm »
So when am I going to get a chance to do your highline swap Andrew?? :wink: :happy2:   The version of Vag commander that I have will only do clusters upto march 2006 once the new builds started to come in the cluster had a different security procedure so V/C couldn't retreive the SKC pin :surprised: The new version of V/C is able to get past this but upto now I've not been able to get hold of it, YET

Darren

I may be interested in swapping my clocks at some point soon darren if you think you can help!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:25 am »
depends where you are mate? but if not too far then yep no problem.

darren

Offline tom619

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 07:19:13 pm »
im in leicester, do i have to put in the rns510 to have the highline can i ask? my golf only has the standard cd player and no mfd, and im not sure want an mfd2 is lol

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 07:59:09 am »
Tom,
 The choice of headunit has absolutely nothing to do with the dash display insert. You can have an RNS510 fitted with a low line or midline display, or have an RCD300 (standard CD unit) fitted with Highline. It's totally up to you.

The only thing that Highline gives you if you have either the MFD or RNS units is another menu in the dash insert which would display for example, the radio Station (if you are in radio mode) or the track no (if in CD mode). It would also allow the MFSW (if you have it) to control track skip using the right up and down buttons on the MFSW.

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 11:25:08 am »
Tom,
 The choice of headunit has absolutely nothing to do with the dash display insert. You can have an RNS510 fitted with a low line or midline display, or have an RCD300 (standard CD unit) fitted with Highline. It's totally up to you.

The only thing that Highline gives you if you have either the MFD or RNS units is another menu in the dash insert which would display for example, the radio Station (if you are in radio mode) or the track no (if in CD mode). It would also allow the MFSW (if you have it) to control track skip using the right up and down buttons on the MFSW.

Also gives you NAV directions and a compass, it gives an expansive convenience menu that can be set (like how bright do you want the floor lighting, or mirror adjustment, door unlocking schemes etc..) and better explainations of warnings (such as bulb failures)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:26:42 am by Mark_GTIV »

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 07:43:36 pm »
You do get the convenience menu but not all of the functions will show unless you have the full highline CCM module i.e on my retro fit i can only change the lighting, 3 flash indicators and winter wheels and clock time...other stuff like the alarm and locks are not on there I think that menu is some thing like ATA???

MARK_GTIV would you be able to take a photo of the highline menu's you have and if you have VCDS could you get the part number of your CCM cos im quite sure it will be different to the CCM that I have although possibly both highline modules there differ slightly in there functions.

Darren

Offline tom619

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »
i thought about putting the rns510 in but i have a tomtom so its not really necessary though i may do it for future resale (if any!), another question, how do i scroll through the settings in the highline display as my right wiper stork has no buttons on its side?

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »

MARK_GTIV would you be able to take a photo of the highline menu's you have and if you have VCDS could you get the part number of your CCM cos im quite sure it will be different to the CCM that I have although possibly both highline modules there differ slightly in there functions.

Darren

Certainly.. here they are... sorry for all the photos, there were a few menus  :fighting2:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 02:01:23 am »
cheers mark :happy2: looking at that its just the convenience menu I have not got so i presume the convenience module it different??? looks like some thing else for my list of things to-do

Darren