All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
warning ...wheel spacers
tony_danza:
WOW!
That's shocking and quite worrying. I put 30k on a set of 10mm FK spacers, he only issues I had was with them sticking in the alloys. Luckily I don't feel the need to have them again.
ub7rm:
I've heard a lot of horror stories invoving spacers. Avoid....
RedRobin:
--- Quote from: candy turbo on April 19, 2009, 08:18:39 am ---
wanted rr to read this thread !!!!!!!!!!
--- End quote ---
....Sorry to miss this thread, Ian.
I don't have any direct experience myself of using spacers but one or two or three extremely experienced car builders I know have advised me against it. Using spacers doesn't guarantee you'll have a problem, but there's clearly a degree of risk.
Only 2,000 miles is insufficient to prove them being trouble-free. Ben's 30k miles is much more realistic as a test.
For what it's worth, my advice is never to do such a mod just for looks but to only do it for very good functional reasons and take advice from a professional rather than a guy on an internet car forum (me included!).
:happy2:
jamiekip:
I've had the H&R hubcentric spacers on my car for about 16 months now. Car has done about 18k miles with them on, 2 track days and several spirited runs over the North Yorkshire Moors with no issues.
Fortunately I do get the wheels off my car frequently for cleaning etc and well deffo be inspecting the hub element more closely for any sign of failng.
The wheel man:
Its never good to see anything fail on a car, particulary an item that has been fitted as an aftermarket upgrade. Spacers are definatly not my field of expertise (if i even have a field of expertise :ashamed:) I will however be sending these pioctures to the compant that has produced my spacers to see if they can throw any specialist information my way about the possible cause / likelyness of this happening.
Although it is unlikely to make a wheel fall off, im glad that you have spotted this and avoided and possible failure to such an important aspect of the car.
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version