All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

warning ...wheel spacers

<< < (4/8) > >>

QD MBE:
For these to have failed, there must have been some movement. 

I am not suggesting that you didn't have the wheels tight, the movement i refer to, is the alloy flexing with the fluctating loads on the wheel and eventually fatigue cracks set in (much the same if you constanly bend a piece of metal) and it reaches its fatigue life, and fractures.

Plain and simple.  I think you make a good point as to the thickness of the spigot being only 2 mm, not a great deal considering the loading.  Another concern of mine, is dis-similar metal corrosion setting in, hence not being able to remove them from the wheels.

They may look good, but their fitment does carry risks.

RedRobin:
^^^^
Confirms more or less what I've been advised - Using them definitely carries risks.

The only way around such risks might be to fit new spacers after every trackday or after just a few hundred miles.

jamiekip:

--- Quote from: RedRobin on April 20, 2009, 06:08:41 pm ---^^^^
Confirms more or less what I've been advised - Using them definitely carries risks.

The only way around such risks might be to fit new spacers after every trackday or after just a few hundred miles.

--- End quote ---

There is a small risk - though this is the first failure i've seen/heard about.  I think replacing them every couple of hundred miles is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.... not to say bl00dy expensive  :laugh:
The H&R one's seem very well engineered - in fact I have a spare set, will take a pic and post what the 'hub' element is like on them for reference against the OP's spacers.

RedRobin:
^^^^
Of course it's expensive to regularly replace them and that's why motorsport is expensive because parts get regularly replaced before they fail.

The risk may indeed be small, but it's definitely a risk, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

It's up to the individual what risks they are happy to take.

jamiekip:
Here you go....





These were on my car for about 12k miles - no signs of damage or cracking

 :happy2:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version